MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
Myles,

Gary is a serious tape head - in the background is an Ampex 102 with Aria Electronics. I also have to express my thanks to many forum members here who had nice things to say re the Doshi Tape preamplifier.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Myles,

Gary is a serious tape head - in the background is an Ampex 102 with Aria Electronics. I also have to express my thanks to many forum members here who had nice things to say re the Doshi Tape preamplifier.

not 'nice' things Nick but rather 'great' things about the Doshi tape pre

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Great picture, thanks for posting!

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Many Thanks to Gary R for the opportunity. Absolutely superb sounding room - More tape machines than I have in my house!!

Nice way to spend a Saturday morning.

View attachment 14845

Looks like Gary has "moved" and "added" quite a few things around since I last visited him.

Gary (rad), It's time to post new pictures. :)

Dre

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
I want to personally Thank Nick for his help with the Doshi Pre. It has elevated my system to yet another level.
His tape pre is the real deal & anyone considering should have a serious listen. I could not believe the difference it makes & it's not even burned in.
All the accolades to Nick are deserving.

Dre, Thank You, we need to get together sometime soon.
5.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Great ROOM!

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Holy F@#K! What a room!

Road trip?

Bruce in PA

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Dre, Thank You, we need to get together sometime soon.

Gary,

I agree. Unfortunately, the last few time I've been up in your area visiting in-laws, my time has been limited. I'll try to fix that on one of my trips this year. Fingers crossed...

BTW: I see you pulled the platform among other things. Looking good.

Dre

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Rad and/or Nick,

Could someone describe how you routed the cables with the A820?
I presume the audio signal is taken directly from the repro head bypassing the repro head preamp, repro amp, and line amp.
How would the external repro head electronics affect the features/flexibility/programming of the A820 :confused:
Thanks.

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
This particular 820 had been previously modified for use with a external preamplifier and had a balanced cable brought out to a pair of RCA connectors on the bulkhead. I removed the RCA's and installed XLR's (separating the -ve from ground) and then we ran a short 3 ft jumper to the outboard preamp. An intriguing thought is the improvement brought about by removing the switch and running dedicated cable to the outboard electronics. My guess would be that it may not be worth the loss of utility provided by the switch.

As far as the unit goes - nothing else was changed with respect to the internal record electronics and related functionality. (to my knowledge)

HTH - Gary can add if I have left out anything.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Yes - thanks, Nick.
Perhaps, I'll hear a version of your unit, soon.
How does the unit handle hot signal, say...+9/185?

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
the tape head input section clips at a little over 1.2v p/p and the output section at 90v p/p as long as you stay below that - you will be fine. :)

There are getting to be a few around the country - let me know and I'll try to hook you up with a demo.

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
I don't know if anyone noticed the diffusor in the back with the pink Floyd poster cut into it - glad I saw it sober cause it may have been too much otherwise.
first thought as I got into my car on the return trip - gotta make myself one of those !!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing