jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Interesting. I thought they had a killer good phono stage in their preamp

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hope the new gear sounds better than the old. The electronics sounded drier than the Gobi and just bland and boring. Never understood the hoopla around the brand.

What also killed them was an ill-fated decision to jump on the home theater/multi-channel bandwagon. And they lost their best US distributor too. Lot of bad business decisions.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Stereophile had a big hand in the 'hoopla' , with their BEST EVER proclamation ....

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
*Yawn*

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Stereophile had a big hand in the 'hoopla' , with their BEST EVER proclamation ....

IIRC that was related to it's very low THD and Jeff Fritz was also big on them for a while in his room

I agree with Myles and mep. It was cold and sterile for my ears

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
My local Wilson/Ayre/Theta dealer carried Halcro.
He said the problem was not the product, but very poor support from the U.S. distributor. (Stocking product, advertising new and current models).
My dealer says he will never deal in a line carried by this distributor, again.
All the initial positive press was eroded, by poor support...

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hope the new gear sounds better than the old. The electronics sounded drier than the Gobi and just bland and boring. Never understood the hoopla around the brand.

Same here. Gobi??? Try Mars

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I heard the amps sound pretty good with big B&W's. I think they were N800's or N801's. The big B&W had a tendency to sound boomy and bloated in the bass (at least how the dealer had them set up). That was not the case when the Halcro amps were used. The next time I heard them was at RMAF powering Acoustic Zen Crescendo's. Did not care for that combo at all. No life at all.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
My local Wilson/Ayre/Theta dealer carried Halcro.
He said the problem was not the product, but very poor support from the U.S. distributor. (Stocking product, advertising new and current models).
My dealer says he will never deal in a line carried by this distributor, again.
All the initial positive press was eroded, by poor support...

This them?

http://www.onahighernote.com/about/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing