Sme 30/2

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
After seeing/hearing the system and jazzdoc working with it yesterday, it's definitely not in its final resting spot.
We started listening to some Stones and adjusting the VTA. The bass slam was really good, but when we started futzing with it, I didn't feel it was quite as good as what we first had heard. Then I remembered, to lower the arm, you have to apply gentle pressure to the top. So now I have the back about a half millimeter lower.
And no, I'm not going to get fanatical about changing VTA according to record thickness until I get more comfortable with how the cartridge sounds. Right now I'm running it at 1.92gm
I'm sure my mind will change once I get more comfortable with messing with a $15k cartridge and not pull a Rockitman!

mm33

Mar 13, 2022
I bought a second-hand limited version of the SME30 / 12A with SME V-12. Some questions have occurred when I debug this player. When I adjust the column gap to meet the gauge A terminal, press the 33 button, the speed is accurate and stable, but the light continues to flash and cannot be locked, and the upper board has obvious swing. But when I lowered about 1mm, this phenomenon disappeared and everything was normal . This phenomenon has not appeared in two states in 45 and 78, they can be locked quickly.

What could be the reason for this? And how to solve the problem?

Thanks

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I bought a second-hand limited version of the SME30 / 12A with SME V-12. Some questions have occurred when I debug this player. When I adjust the column gap to meet the gauge A terminal, press the 33 button, the speed is accurate and stable, but the light continues to flash and cannot be locked, and the upper board has obvious swing. But when I lowered about 1mm, this phenomenon disappeared and everything was normal . This phenomenon has not appeared in two states in 45 and 78, they can be locked quickly.

What could be the reason for this? And how to solve the problem?

Thanks
the specified column gap is not absolute just an approximation, but it’s good to meet the requirement.
first of all check if your stand is level. after that level the lower board then check if upper board levels while leaving exact gap on the columns to meet gauge A. if not consider changing suspension rubbers.
additionally the blinking light may indicates a horizontal misalignment of two boards or misplaced drive belt. check if drive belt is perfectly placed around insignificantly fat part of the motor pulley. check if motor is level too. if not align it with three screws under the motor. finally and most probably check if your belts is loose or oiled. for this purpose clean parts of small platter and pulley where the belt rides and wash the belt with plain soap (don’t use liquid soap). if the problem disappears after clean up cycle then getting a new belt is the way to go IMHO.

Reactions: Bruce B

mm33

Mar 13, 2022
Thanks mtemur !
the specified column gap is not absolute just an approximation, but it’s good to meet the requirement.
first of all check if your stand is level. after that level the lower board then check if upper board levels while leaving exact gap on the columns to meet gauge A. if not consider changing suspension rubbers.
additionally the blinking light may indicates a horizontal misalignment of two boards or misplaced drive belt. check if drive belt is perfectly placed around insignificantly fat part of the motor pulley. check if motor is level too. if not align it with three screws under the motor. finally and most probably check if your belts is loose or oiled. for this purpose clean parts of small platter and pulley where the belt rides and wash the belt with plain soap (don’t use liquid soap). if the problem disappears after clean up cycle then getting a new belt is the way to go IMHO.
thanks very much!

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing