Jacob Heilbrunn: Stillpoints Ultra 5s & XLFs/Continuum Turntable

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
To the many fans of Stillpoints, Jacob Heilbrun's recent article in The Absolute Sound about working with John Quick of DCS and (somewhat surprisingly) Peter McGrath of Wilson on installing Ultra 5s under his XLFs...and apparently under his Continuum Turntable as well...

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-stillpoints-experience/

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Why am I not surprised ? they do wonders for X-2.2..so one could logically conclude they would provide the same benefit for XLF. He has quite a gap between speaker and stillpoint.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Why am I not surprised ? they do wonders for X-2.2..so one could logically conclude they would provide the same benefit for XLF. He has quite a gap between speaker and stillpoint.

Yeah...I was surprised to see that. I hope he has got enough of the adaptor in the base of the XLFs. It's not like he is likely to push them while on the feet...but if they snapped off, that would be a big (and potentially dangerous) problem.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I agree. I thought double what is required. I screwed mine in all of the way and then backed off about a half turn so there is no contact with the ultra 5 and bottom of speaker

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
I agree. I thought double what is required. I screwed mine in all of the way and then backed off about a half turn so there is no contact with the ultra 5 and bottom of speaker

What do you do if you have to level the speaker?

Question for Debby if she sees this thread, does anyone at WA use Stillpoints under their speakers?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
What do you do if you have to level the speaker?

Question for Debby if she sees this thread, does anyone at WA use Stillpoints under their speakers?

mine were very easy to level

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Debby just posted on another forum, that no one at WA uses Stillpoints under their speakers.

Jacob E. Heilbrunn

Jul 26, 2010
XLF/Stillpoints

Yeah...I was surprised to see that. I hope he has got enough of the adaptor in the base of the XLFs. It's not like he is likely to push them while on the feet...but if they snapped off, that would be a big (and potentially dangerous) problem.

I adjusted them very close to the speaker. Thanks for the heads up, folks. The idea originally was to keep the speaker from firing from a lower position. Safety first.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Debby just posted on another forum, that no one at WA uses Stillpoints under their speakers.

Thanks for that...on the other hand, I am not bothered by that (at all). Wilson take pride in everything they do (and they should), and when another manufacturer creates an isolation piece that seems (almost universally) to improve certain manufacturers own feet...it is candidly a little awkward. I cannot tell you how many Wilson dealers encourage using them...and yet having spoken with Wilson myself, they were 'non-commital' at best on them.

Business is business, so it does not bother me. I have heard for myself, as have many others...and they work for me. 'Nuff said.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I adjusted them very close to the speaker. Thanks for the heads up, folks. The idea originally was to keep the speaker from firing from a lower position. Safety first.

Hi Jacob,

Great to see you posting...if I may, I would REALLY appreciate your advice on Wilsons and Subs. I use the Velodyne DD18 in parallel with my X1s...but I have enjoyed reading about your XLFs and dual Thors. I will PM you.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Thanks for that...on the other hand, I am not bothered by that (at all). Wilson take pride in everything they do (and they should), and when another manufacturer creates an isolation piece that seems (almost universally) to improve certain manufacturers own feet...it is candidly a little awkward. I cannot tell you how many Wilson dealers encourage using them...and yet having spoken with Wilson myself, they were 'non-commital' at best on them.

Business is business, so it does not bother me. I have heard for myself, as have many others...and they work for me. 'Nuff said.

You're welcome.

I'm not going to bother trying something that's not recommended by WA or my WA dealer.

The PM I received from WA made it very clear that they think their speakers sound better with the factory supplied spikes.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
You never know until you try. Ultra 5's are superior under my X-2's versus the Wilson spikes.

Glad you like them.

If I had purchased all of the isolation, PCs and PLC products raved about on WBT so far this year, I would have spent more than twice as much as I paid for my entire system.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Glad you like them.

If I had purchased all of the isolation, PCs and PLC products raved about on WBT so far this year, I would have spent more than twice as much as I paid for my entire system.

Name one speaker mfgr' that recommends stillpoints ? I bet you won't find one for obvious reasons and it has nothing to do with their performance on said speaker. It has all to do with protecting their own brand. Admirable yes... but is it in the best interest of the speaker owner ? Not in my experience. YMMV.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Name one speaker mfgr' that recommends stillpoints ? I bet you won't find one for obvious reasons and it has nothing to do with their performance on said speaker. It has all to do with protecting their own brand. Admirable yes... but is it in the best interest of the speaker owner ? Not in my experience. YMMV.

The only companies that I've found that recommend Stillspoints are the ones that sell them.

Magico has advised against using any 3rd party devices under their speakers. They don't even recommend using their own QPods.

At RMAF 2013, WA went all out to give a SOTA presentation. Audiophiles and reviewers alike posted rave comments. There were no Stillpoints in their set up.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...The only companies that I've found that recommend Stillspoints are the ones that sell them...

Just curious; which companies are these?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The only companies that I've found that recommend Stillspoints are the ones that sell them.

Magico has advised against using any 3rd party devices under their speakers. They don't even recommend using their own QPods.

At RMAF 2013, WA went all out to give a SOTA presentation. Audiophiles and reviewers alike posted rave comments. There were no Stillpoints in their set up.

There have been a few times when manufacturers have said to me 'upgrade products' (cables, power cables, isolation) will not affect the performance of their equipment. Sometimes I have agreed with them...sometimes I have not.

Velodyne: no after market isolation or cables. [I am happy to have both with the Velodyne]
Wilson: no isolation, biamping or any changes. [Wilson dealer (who does not sell Stillpoints) disagreed (a lot) and encouraged me to go for Stillpoints when I asked him. I am glad my dealer was right.]

Other companies have been more open.

CJ: after market power cables...try it. Unlikely without a lot of money. [I tended to agree with them...I do use an aftermarket cable, but it cost a pretty penny, and I did have options before which I passed on because frankly the stock power cable really is excellent]
Tripoint: EVERYTHING matters in isolation...get it more still, better damped (but be careful here)...and you will minimize mechanical distortion further. [Agreed.]
Zanden: NOS tubes can make an amazing improvement, so can isolation [Agreed.]

In general, not just audio, i always ask loads and loads of people from various perspectives, but ultimately I keep my own counsel.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Do a Google search.
All I get are dealers, Stillpoints itself, and a bunch of not audio related hits, so if you are serious you'll need to be more specific.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing