Wilson Audio WAMM - Need help!

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
CALLING ALL AUDIOPHILES!! If you know someone who OWNS a WAMM system, or previously owned a WAMM system - would you please have them email me at debby@wilsonaudio.com ?

I have been working on Wilson Audio's history for a long time (I am Wilson Audio's unofficial historian ). I have tried over the years to keep track of WHERE they all are, and if they are still in use. Interesting to hear that a couple have been destroyed over the years (one by wood ants because of the owners lack of care), and then 1 or 2 are still in crates in storage

Help me find out what has happened to these legends over the years! Any help would be very helpful. Thank you!!

WAMM SN 29 California 1993.jpg

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Debbie

Contact Larry Marcus. He had a pair in his home for a bit until he sold them for his personal pair of XLF's. He should be back from Italy this coming week.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Debbie

Contact Larry Marcus. He had a pair in his home for a bit until he sold them for his personal pair of XLF's. He should be back from Italy this coming week.

Yup, I have that one updated already. It has been cleaned up, and tested, and is ready to head off to Asia soon. His was SN 6, and was a Rosewood finish. :)

Thank you for your help! I really do appreciate it :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Debbie

That's interesting. is there a consensus that the Wamm has been surpassed in performance by the XLF? I recall some feeling they preferred the original Wamm over the X2s. I have also recently heard from a dealer he felt the XLF sounds much more similar to the original Wamms than the X2s and preferred the XLF for it.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
CALLING ALL AUDIOPHILES!! If you know someone who OWNS a WAMM system, or previously owned a WAMM system - would you please have them email me at debby@wilsonaudio.com ?

I have been working on Wilson Audio's history for a long time (I am Wilson Audio's unofficial historian ). I have tried over the years to keep track of WHERE they all are, and if they are still in use. Interesting to hear that a couple have been destroyed over the years (one by wood ants because of the owners lack of care), and then 1 or 2 are still in crates in storage

Help me find out what has happened to these legends over the years! Any help would be very helpful. Thank you!!

View attachment 14783

Rudy at Definitive Audio up in Mamaroneck, NY (long closed) used to have a pair of WAMMs. Don't know what ever happened to that pair.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
That's interesting. is there a consensus that the Wamm has been surpassed in performance by the XLF? I recall some feeling they preferred the original Wamm over the X2s. I have also recently heard from a dealer he felt the XLF sounds much more similar to the original Wamms than the X2s and preferred the XLF for it.

I don't think you will find consensus in any area of this crazy hobby in which we participate. Since I don't remember his exact words as to why he made the change, I will give you my take what I have observed in his room. The WAMM's are a very difficult speaker to integrate into a listening room. Tweaking that crossover must be a challenge. The WAMM's sounded very nice especially in the mid-range but the XLF's are a better overall speaker from bottom to top. I think this can be attributed to the improvement of driver technology and simpilar crossovers.

The X2's and XLF's are much closer in sound than the XLF to the WAMM. I am probably one of the few who actually prefer the tweeter and top end of the X2's over the XLF's. That said I prefer the mid range and bass of the XLF's and agree that it is a better overall speaker.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

You can't have consensus on such a rare thing. So very few have seen one and even fewer have heard them in the right context. They are very different from every other speaker made by Dave Wilson and for my money still the best speaker he's made. The new line, excellent as it is has morphed into something else far from the Wamm, or at least my memory of it.

david

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
WAMM S 111.jpg
You can't have consensus on such a rare thing. So very few have seen one and even fewer have heard them in the right context. They are very different from every other speaker made by Dave Wilson and for my money still the best speaker he's made. The new line, excellent as it is has morphed into something else far from the Wamm, or at least my memory of it.

david

THE WAMM'S were a truly great speaker. I had a pair back in the day (SERIES 111)

CHEERS.............T.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks gents! Fascinating.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) even fewer have heard them in the right context. (...)
david

Wise words about most of top high-end equipment we debate. The optimization of a system is a long and complex process, and unless we could have access to great private systems we can only dream about, we do not have the proper idea of the full capability of equipment.

IMHO, shops and shows only give us a pale idea of the potential of the equipment.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Wise words about most of top high-end equipment we debate. The optimization of a system is a long and complex process, and unless we could have access to great private systems we can only dream about, we do not have the proper idea of the full capability of equipment.

IMHO, shops and shows only give us a pale idea of the potential of the equipment.

The times I spent with the WAMM"s were in a home and had been set-up and tweaked by Peter McGrath and Jerron from Wilson.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
View attachment 15043

THE WAMM'S were a truly great speaker. I had a pair back in the day (SERIES 111)

CHEERS.............T.

Oh very cool!!

2 questions:

1) Do you remember what serial number your pair was? I Since it was a 3A (or III as you said), It would be a number between 1 and 14.

2) Is there any way you could email me those photos ? I would love to keep them with other photos I have of owner's WAMMs.

Thank you so much for sharing with us. I LOVE seeing photos of WAMMs from around the world. I have so many, and they are separated by what Serial Number that system is. The WAMM is like "my baby" - have always loved the product!

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Yup! Rudy's WAMMs were Serial Number 17, and I have a question mark next to what series they were originally (I have "Series 6 (?)") I also don't have what finish that pair was.

That pair change owners 4 times as of 2001 (which was the last time I knew it's whereabouts). Last I knew about this system is that it had been upgraded to a series 7, and were sitting in storage (for many years, sadly!).

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Oh very cool!!

2 questions:

1) Do you remember what serial number your pair was? I Since it was a 3A (or III as you said), It would be a number between 1 and 14.

2) Is there any way you could email me those photos ? I would love to keep them with other photos I have of owner's WAMMs.

Thank you so much for sharing with us. I LOVE seeing photos of WAMMs from around the world. I have so many, and they are separated by what Serial Number that system is. The WAMM is like "my baby" - have always loved the product!

You should be able to do a right click on your mouse and save the picture in the attachment. If I find some more pics I will try and send them to you...
CHEERS......T

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com

So I forwarded these Images to my dad. He could tell just by looking at the wood that this was one of our famous WAMMs. We nicknamed this system "Connie". The original owner loved Condors/birds. We found this particular Bolvian Rosewood wood grain because it resembled a bird/condor.

So this system was Serial Number 8 and also 30. It exchanged hands a few times, and was in storage for a little while. Then it was then sent back to us where we refinished, upgraded to series 7, and re-serial tagged it to Serial Number 30.

Last I heard was it was in New York. Yet that was in the '90s. Would love to find where "Connie" is today! :)

Mr.Jazz - could you message me your name? I have 4 names for this systems (one with no last name). I would appreciate it :)

Thank you again for sharing with us!

Debby

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Also, I mentioned the conversation here about how the WAMM compares to today's Wilson Audio products.

His comment was (and I love his car analogies):

"It is like comparing a Ferrari F-40 to the latest models. Yes, the newer Ferrari's are faster in a straight line, but many Ferrari enthusiast feel that the F-40 is the most exciting Ferrari ever built."

If I had enough room for them, I would pick a 7 series WAMM over an Alexandria. But that is just me. I grew up with WAMM'S in our home. I was 23 when my dad retired his WAMM's (they reside at Wilson Audio now). I was really sad to see them go...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Also, I mentioned the conversation here about how the WAMM compares to today's Wilson Audio products.

"It is like comparing a Ferrari F-40 to the latest models. Yes, the newer Ferrari's are faster in a straight line, but many Ferrari enthusiast feel that the F-40 is the most exciting Ferrari ever built."

If I had enough room for them, I would pick a 7 series WAMM over an Alexandria. But that is just me. I grew up with WAMM'S in our home. I was 23 when my dad retired his WAMM's (they reside at Wilson Audio now). I was really sad to see them go...

I saw those very speakers Deb when I visited several years ago

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Is the world ready for the return of the WAMM? The Series 8? A Wilson that takes us into unchartered territory?

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Is the world ready for the return of the WAMM? The Series 8? A Wilson that takes us into unchartered territory?

"Series 8 WAMM" - I wish!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I am sure you could sell a new super WAMM. I would wish it be a four box system with a ribbon tweeter (of course that's a big challenge). Price it at $750,000.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing