Hovland HP200 - still relevant after 7 years?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Zbub, thanx for the input! I was really sad that Hovland went under. It appears not enough customers/high build & labour costs/greedy distributors abroad demanding an excessive cut, all did for the company. The lack of input from fellow WBFers is testament to this.
I actually have got good results switching out the stock tubes for 50's Telefunken 12AX7's and AT7's from Andy's Vintage Tube Services, w/greater transparency and attack, but some bass lightness. Having listened to the Koda K10 SS pre, I'm now looking for a warmer sound w/more mid bass punch, hopefully not sacrificing too much transparency and high end sparkle. Andy has recommended vintage Mullards - we'll see where we go w/these.
For the record, I'd really recommend Andy, true Old School service that is dying out these days.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Aargh! At the last moment, I've pulled out of my Mullards purchase and have decided to go down the Jan Phillips AX7 and AT7 route. I'm reliably informed these will maintain the bite and transparency of my Telefunkens w/more of the warmth of the Mullards, but avoiding too much bass colouration. We shall see.

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
Aargh! At the last moment, I've pulled out of my Mullards purchase and have decided to go down the Jan Phillips AX7 and AT7 route. I'm reliably informed these will maintain the bite and transparency of my Telefunkens w/more of the warmth of the Mullards, but avoiding too much bass colouration. We shall see.

Tube rolling is one thing, have you ever thought about changing the little J-Fet or the 2,2µF electrolytic in the Signal path.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Reinhard, I haven't. Mainly because only you have suggested it, and also I thought Bob Hovland used the best available components at the HP200's price point. Can you set out in FULL detail what this would involve?

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
Reinhard, I haven't. Mainly because only you have suggested it, and also I thought Bob Hovland used the best available components at the HP200's price point. Can you set out in FULL detail what this would involve?

Best components? A nine cent General purpose J-Fet and a little lytic capacitor?

Have made a rework with an current sourced SK170 Output stage (Borbely style) HP100 Koppel C.jpg and a Mundorf Supreme coupling cap.
Output Impedance down from 2K5 to 150 Ohms with a dist. number of 0,0016%.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Your input is really valued, Reinhard. Is this a simple slot in job, like replacing tubes? So, I just buy these 2 caps, and simply swap them in, or is installation more involved than tubes? What is the exact spec/value I order these 2 caps in? You also mentioned the 2.2 microfarad electrolytic?...

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
Your input is really valued, Reinhard. Is this a simple slot in job, like replacing tubes? So, I just buy these 2 caps, and simply swap them in, or is installation more involved than tubes? What is the exact spec/value I order these 2 caps in? You also mentioned the 2.2 microfarad electrolytic?...

Think you can change the two 2,2µF electrolytic to Mundorf Supreme 2,2µf. That is only one part of the upgrade.
The other is the current sourced bidirectional J-Fet Output stage. That needs electronic skills. On the Picture you
see only one part of it, the current source is on the solder side of the printed Board.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thanx Reinhard. Are those the only changes you would make? There are plenty of other caps, obv. Re the bidirectional J-Fet Output stage, would a competent audio engineer know what to do? What exactly would I ask him to do re this?
So you own an HP200, what have these changes brought to the party?

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
Thanx Reinhard. Are those the only changes you would make? There are plenty of other caps, obv. Re the bidirectional J-Fet Output stage, would a competent audio engineer know what to do? What exactly would I ask him to do re this?
So you own an HP200, what have these changes brought to the party?

A reduction in Output impedance (from 2k5 to 150 Ohms) gives you more power to drive cables and Input impedance of power amplifiers.
You will listen to am more dynamic Signal with more Detail.

I have a repair/modifikation/manufacturing shop for highendaudio in Germany.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Reinhard, I've sent you a PM. Maybe we can do business.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I would look at the top Allnic preamp as a serious option. I had the top Silvaweld model a few years ago (same designer Kang Su Park) and it was sublime (still regret selling it). The Ypsilon gear would be seriously interesting as well. That being said, I was always fond of the sound from the Hovland HP100 but never heard the HP200 properly. I was not very taken with the Wyetech Pearl (2nd from top model a few years ago) compared to other top competition so if the Ruby has the same house sound then I would not go that direction (had a hint of "whiteness" that never really went away).

I still use Silvaweld for my phono (all tube with all tube power supply) and it is the one component I would never change...the Allnic stuff is right up there with the best.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Willdo, Morricab. The Allnic stuff is a little outside my price band, but I'll bear it in mind.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Just bedding in rel inexpensive Jan Phillips 12AX7 and AT7 tubes into my Hovland. After a week of 'meh', I'm getting a lovely opening up in the soundstage, as much attack/crispness as my previous 50's Telefunkens, but a tad more warmth/smoothness, exactly what was needed. The new rig still can't outperform the Koda K10 I had in for trial, but it bridges the gap somewhat, and in a couple of areas is superior - not bad for just less than a third of the price!

dkys

Sep 10, 2014
Hong Kong
Spirit, this is my first post to the WBF and I have come to this site after searching for possible mod to the Hovland HP200. I too have owned it for almost 7 years and still find it special comparing to the CAT SL-1 which I have purchased recently from a friend. The CAT has a slight wider sound stage and the bass is thunderous and music has more body. However, the Hovland offers more air, transparency and layers. I find I have been switching preamps depending on what types of music/mood I am in. Did you finally modify the Hovland with Reinhard?

Reinhard, when I look at the cap in the Hovland, it seems to be lytics with 220 uF. Do you just switch in the 2.2uF film cap? How does the lower cap value affect the sound?

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
The two 220 µf lytics are paralled and in the 39V powersupply.
The coupling caps are 2,2 µF lytics

Reinhard

dkys

Sep 10, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks, I now see the 2.2 uf little green lytics. Your Mundorf Supreme capacitors were in the place of the 220 uf in your picture. The supreme must have hidden the power capacitors in the view. I would have thought Hovland will at least be using their Music cap in the critical coupling position. I guess it all boiled down to cost.

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
Your Mundorf Supreme capacitors were in the place of the 220 uf in your picture.

Only physical, there are some new holes in the PCB.

In some newer HP200 the 2,2 lytic is bypassed with a Music cap, think 0,15µf.

Reinhard

dkys

Sep 10, 2014
Hong Kong
I was thinking about how I could install the 2.2 uF film cap which is much larger in size in front of the 220 uF Lytics. You are right that Hovland must have changed the PCB layout a little bit during the production. I have not looked at the solder side of the PCB yet. It many be easier for me to have the new film cap laying horizontally if I am to modify it later.

Reinhard

Mar 24, 2012
germany
Ok, you can put the filmcap where you like. I am modifying the Output stage too. It is a bidirectionell Fet Driver with 130 ohm Output impedance instead of 2K. Distortion at 1 Volt Output is 0,0018 %,

Reinhard

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing