Stunning sounding high res files

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Rachel Podger's violin sounds indeed fantastic on the 24/192 Channel Classics version of this recording. I also bought the dsd version/file of guardian angel but I have not yet heard it in dsd mode. According to Jared his (dsd recorded) recordings sound best in dsd.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Mozart Requiem on Linn Records, 24/192 ALAC. This recording has sensational dynamics and sense of space. It takes you right to the recording venue. Superb.

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
Very good suggestions, I concur these 5 albums are very good.
Very nice thread.
4 labels has been mentioned in more replies; Channel Classics, ECM, Reference recordings and Sound Liaison.
From those 4 excellent labels these are my favorites:
http://www.channelclassics.com/high-resolution-audio-downloads/sinfonietta-30411.html
http://www.hdtracks.com/exotic-dances-from-the-opera-141285
http://www.hdtracks.com/somewhere-live-in-lucerne-2009
http://www.soundliaison.com/products-from-our-studio-masters/135-andre-heuvelman-flac
http://www.soundliaison.com/products-from-our-studio-masters/154-torn-se-flac

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
hi elcorso
what is a ps3 rip what does it mean?

Hi Kefas,

ps3 is an 'old' Sony Power Station Model 3 with a firmware 3.55 or less. After some firmware modification and software installation you can rip an SACD to a USB stick and this music is readable by some music players as DSD music.

Roch

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Hi Kefas,

ps3 is an 'old' Sony Power Station Model 3 with a firmware 3.55 or less. After some firmware modification and software installation you can rip an SACD to a USB stick and this music is readable by some music players as DSD music.

Roch

If you're interested there is a complete cookbook available explaining how to do this. Most detail on the topic is posted on the computeraudiophile site.

Kefas

May 21, 2014
Hi Kefas,

Roch
Thanks! I guess I have to go look for one.

24bit

Jun 14, 2013

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Just listening to Mozart's requiem performed by the Dunedin Consort directed by John Butt. Linn 24/192 file. Beautiful played and gorgeous sound.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I have that one as well Audiocrack. It is superb in all respects. Takes you right to the venue ( it is a great place BTW). Check out the Mozart on 2L as well. Superb.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Thanks Joe. To which Mozart recording of 2l are you referring? Maybe the violin concertos? I have that one on sacd but I find the tonality, in particular the violin(s), somewhat harsh. But I have not heard yet the 24/192 file.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Yes it is. The violin and cello sound is the finest I have heard on my system. Sound just like the real thing and I have attended quite a few concerts in small halls in my area and Europe in the past 2 years. I haven't heard the SACD, but the 24/192 tracks are stellar. I have also downloaded the Keith Jarrett trio title noted above and the sound on that is stellar as well, even though all three instruments are bundled up in the middle between my speakers. Well separated and distinct and sensational sounding but no wide lateral dispersion. Picked both the 2L and the Jarrett on HD Tracks. The 2L track is a bit expensive but I had a 15% off promo that made it easier on the wallet.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Can you give us an idea about your system? As regards 2l files: are you playing them in 24/192 or maybe dxd?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing