Stunning sounding high res files

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
As far as I remember Channel Classics were known mainly because of their SACDs and DSD files. Should we assume that the 192/24 files are of higher quality than the DSD ones?

No, I do not want to imply that the 24/192 files of Channel Classics sound better than the dsd files. According to Jared, the ceo/recording engineer of Channel classics, the latter sound better than the former (they are also more expensive than the other files). This makes sense of course because the Channel Classic master tapes are in dsd. However, I cannot play the dsd files in 'dsd mode' on my Trinity combo. Therefore I only listen to and can only judge the Channel Classics files that are not dsd. Therefore I mention in this thread the Channel Classics 24/192 files.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No, I do not want to imply that the 24/192 files of Channel Classics sound better than the dsd files. According to Jared, the ceo/recording engineer of Channel classics, the latter sound better than the former (they are also more expensive than the other files). This makes sense of course because the Channel Classic master tapes are in dsd. However, I cannot play the dsd files in 'dsd mode' on my Trinity combo. Therefore I only listen to and can only judge the Channel Classics files that are not dsd. Therefore I mention in this thread the Channel Classics 24/192 files.

So perhaps the best buy is getting the DSD files and transcoding them to PCM to listen in the Trinity using a free program, such as Audiogate. At less you will get both formats. Or do they master the DSD differently from the PCMs, creating files with different contents? BTW, I am just speculating. :cool:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Yesterday I had a visitor over with very experienced ears and we listened to various high res files, including some of the Channel Classiscs 24/192 files I bought. The fact that I have listed several Channel Classics recordings on this thread shows that I really like and admire their recordings. But we also listened to some much older recordings, in particular the Jean Martinon recording of Debussy music in 24/96. My visiter prefered this recording (to my - somewhat younger - ears the violins sound somewhat strident/sharp in the tuttis) - as well as for example the 1961 recording of Mahler's 7th symphony with the Concertgebouw orchestra conducted by Bernard Haitink, a 24/192 file done by High Definition Tape Transfers - because of it's special aura/feel. In short, try to listen to these older recordings on high res files as well because some of them are special as well.

Last edited:

merrillaudio

High Definition Tape Transfers makes some very nice high rez - DSD, DXD, 2xDXD downloads. He does all of this from the Master tapes, some of which have not been previously released. Some, to the chagrin of a few, are pure DSD transfers, i.e. no editing done, which means it has not been converted to DXD. He does a very nice job of noting which files are pure DSD and which are not.

Some of them
Klipsch Jazz recordings Vol I and Vol II
Ella Swings with Nelson

Good classical pieces also.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The one HDTT I have is very disappointing, Dvorak Cello Concerto in the famous Fournier/Szell version. I actually prefer the sound of the commercial CD.

merrillaudio

The one HDTT I have is very disappointing, Dvorak Cello Concerto in the famous Fournier/Szell version. I actually prefer the sound of the commercial CD.

Interesting. I have found it to be exceptional and I have not heard the Commercial CD. What did you find better on the commercial CD?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Perhaps I should have said I didn't find it better than the commercial CD despite the higher resolution (digital) format. I can see how one might prefer the HDTT but they sound just a little different, not necessarily one better than the other. In the future I plan to buy only those titles not otherwise available, and I'm very glad some of them are available, like the Munch/BSO 1960's recordings of Symphonie Fantastique and Daphnis et Chloe, The Yepes Rodrigo Concierto, and the Ansermet Bizet album.

merrillaudio

In the future I plan to buy only those titles not otherwise available, and I'm very glad some of them are available, like the Munch/BSO 1960's recordings of Symphonie Fantastique and Daphnis et Chloe, The Yepes Rodrigo Concierto, and the Ansermet Bizet album.

Smart! I am working on 2xDSD digitization of my vinyl using my new Phono stage for the same reason. Some of the older vinyl has not been issued on CD and/or is not longer available.

I have a Count Bassie recorded live in the music hall that has an amazing dynamic range - unedited completely! Found it for $2.99 and in VG+ condition with cover in VG++ condition also.

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy
I'll put out some rock suggestions:
For modern music audio quality, it's very hard to beat any recording that Steve Wilson is involved with, so his entire high-rez portfolio is worth seeking out, including the remasters of classics like Yes, King Crimson and Jethro Tull.

IMHO the DVD-A reissue of the King Crimson albums are amazing! Beside a little bit of hiss due to the tape, the sound quality it's fantastic.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
IMHO the DVD-A reissue of the King Crimson albums are amazing! Beside a little bit of hiss due to the tape, the sound quality it's fantastic.

I have problems with the treble on most of the King Crimson DVD-A remasters; SABB is the worst, unlistenable for me without a big treble cut. ITCOTCK sounds the best to me, and the Yes and Tull are good as well.

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy
I have problems with the treble on most of the King Crimson DVD-A remasters; SABB is the worst, unlistenable for me without a big treble cut. ITCOTCK sounds the best to me, and the Yes and Tull are good as well.

I have no issues at all with the treble on the King Crimson DVD-A I own (ITCOTCK, Lizard, ITWOP and Island). I am listening to the 2 channels only after has been ripped to my NAS and played mainly through a Linn Akurate DS network player.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I already know that I am more bothered by what I feel are tonal balance problems than many listeners.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
http://www.stereophile.com

Generic more than specific. I hope that this represents a real new direction for the music companies, the idea that providing a superior product might actually improve the bottom line, but after the last 10 years I'm skeptical.

Last edited:

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
Best Sounding Hi-res files

This my top 6
Classical;
http://www.referencerecordings.com/Orchestras.asp#londonphilharmonic
.The finale is extremely impressive, aided by state-of-the-art sonics that offer the finest integration of organ and orchestra yet captured in this work on disc...The disc is worth hearing for the final minute alone." --David Hurwitz, ClassicsToday.

Jazz;
BatikHoes300shad.jpg
http://www.soundliaison.com/
"I've seldom heard recordings that were so successful in both performance and sound aspects.''
Rad Bennett, SoundStage! Magazine.

Americana

TSOB200v4-130-10-10-75.jpg
http://www.soundliaison.com/
''Her style is bluesy and intimate with a sexy voice that's sweet as dark tupelo honey, and her interpretations are unerring. this intimate effort is one of the best and best-sounding jazz vocal albums to come along in many a day.''Rad Bennett, SoundStage! Magazine.

Blues

Doug Macleod There's a Time,http://www.hdtracks.com/there-s-a-time-134458
"There’s A Time continues the long history of blues as a story-telling medium, an art form that Doug MacLeod has mastered with literary integrity and serious blues feeling." —Frank Matheis, Living Blues

Funk/Soul

"Who Is He and What Is He to You" and the ultra-smooth, slow-burning "Stay." It's new age soul that's as spiritually purifying as it is musically sophisticated.Michael Gallucci
just to provoke a little, here an itunes link;https://itunes.apple.com/nl/album/peace-beyond-passion/id358109200

Pop
Donald Fagan

http://www.hdtracks.com/morph-the-cat
bittersweet and immaculately finished. Each song depicts a vivid scenario.
John L Walters,The Guardian

Attachments

• 1000 Shades.jpg
    1000 Shades.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Thanks much 24bit for your interesting suggestions. Have not heard the Reference Recordings Elgar myself but the cd and sacd version of this recording I own sound already very good. The 24/176.4 file will sound probably even better.

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
hi Audiocrack,The download I have of the Elgar is 24/88, not 24/176.

Kefas

May 21, 2014
Last edited:

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
This are a must have:

Cowboy Junkies - DSD PS3 Rip

Cowboy Junkes_DSD_rip.jpg

Rachel Podger's "Guardian Angel" - DSD DL from nativeDSD (Channel Classics)

Rachel Podger_nativeDSD_DL.jpg

Roch

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing