Stunning sounding high res files

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
It might be of interest to a lot of wbf readers to share our experiences with very good or even stunning sounding high res files. I propose to start with three suggestions in certain categories such as classical, jazz and pop/rock.

May I start with the following recommendations:

Classical:
- Channel Classics, Bach, Mass in B minor, Netherlands Bach society, 24/192
- Reference recordings, Respighi, Belkis, Dance of the Gnomes, The pines of Rome 24/176.4
- 2l, Schola Solensis, Psallat ecclisia medieval Norwegian sequences 24/192

Pop/Rock
- 2l, Hoff Ensemble, Quiet winter night 24/192
- Muddy Waters, Folk singer 24/192
- M.A recordings, Sera una nocha - la secunda 24/176.4

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The Sera una nocha is superb...so is the Reference Respighi.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'll put in a plug for two of my favorite Channel Classics, both by Ivan Fischer & Budapest

Rachmaninoff Symphony #2
Mahler Symphony #1

Stravinsky Rite of Spring by the same label, conductor and orchestra also gets rave reviews; to me, the sound is just a bit less "there" than the other two. YMMV.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I'll put in a plug for two of my favorite Channel Classics, both by Ivan Fischer & Budapest

Rachmaninoff Symphony #2
Mahler Symphony #1

Stravinsky Rite of Spring by the same label, conductor and orchestra also gets rave reviews; to me, the sound is just a bit less "there" than the other two. YMMV.

Which version of the Channel classics are you referring to: the dsd files or maybe the 24/192 or 24/96 files? Mahler 5th symphony with Fischer sounds really amazing in 24/192 as does the Channel Classics Shostakovich/Weinberg 24/192 recording by the Amsterdam Sinfonietta.

Btw, regarding the mentioned Muddy Waters recording I am referring to is the 24/192 analogue master tape recording which sounds better to me than the 24/192 digital master tape recording that is eg available on hdtracks. For a possible explanation for this difference I refer to the comments made by Dietmar of Trinity on the Audio Exotics website regarding the Trinity dac.

Hopefully much more members will share their experiences with high res files with us. Come on guys (and girls of course): it is in our common interest to share as much info on these files as possible!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I have the 24/192 files of Rachmaninoff 2, Mahler 1 and Stravinsky, and the SACD of Mahler 5.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
From Acoustic Sounds Digital Downloads (DSD) Holy Cole: Temptation, and although I only have the SACD of Holly Cole: Don't Smoke in Bed, but given it's also an AP mastering my guess would be this would also be a stunner.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Two more:
-Yasuaki Shimizu & saxophonettes: cello suites (stunning sounding solo sax recorded at different venues in order to illustrate the importance of the acoustics of the various recording locations).
- Rachel Podger: Guardian angel (Channel classics): beautiful recorded solo violin with music from inter alia Bach, Biber and Tartini.

Both recordings are listened to in 24/192.

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
IMHO it's hard to go wrong with Channel Classics :)

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
IMHO it's hard to go wrong with Channel Classics :)

Totally agree although - as to be expected - some Channel Classics recordings do sound better than others. Furthermore it seems that Jared has been able to refine his recording skills, probably partly due to using better equipment.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
From Acoustic Sounds Digital Downloads (DSD) Holy Cole: Temptation, and although I only have the SACD of Holly Cole: Don't Smoke in Bed, but given it's also an AP mastering my guess would be this would also be a stunner.

But I thought the Holly Cole was a 44/16 recording?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
The following high res files sound very impressive as well:
- The avison ensemble, Corelli, opus 5-violin sonatas (Linn records), 24/192
- Sera una nocha, sera una nocha (m.a recordings), 24/96
- Debussy (la mer), Stravinsky (le sacre du printemps), Living concert series, Duisburger Philharmoniker, 24/192

There are more fine sounding recordings available in different formats from the Living concert series of the Duisburger Philharmoniker, such as Mahler, Shostakovich and Wagner recordings.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
I'll put out some rock suggestions:

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing - BluRay LPCM 24/96 or Dolby TruHD with Multichannel and 2 Ch options

For modern music audio quality, it's very hard to beat any recording that Steve Wilson is involved with, so his entire high-rez portfolio is worth seeking out, including the remasters of classics like Yes, King Crimson and Jethro Tull.

But recordings from the last 5 years by Porcupine Tree, Storm corrosion and his eponymous band are sonically the best and he publishes in high-rez via DVD-A or BluRay.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
A few more terrific sounding high res files:
- Haydn, Die Schopfung/the creation, Boston Baroque/Martin Pearlman, Linn 24/192
- Shostakovich symphony no. 15 and Mozart Haffner symphony, living concert series, Duisburger Philharmoniker 24/192 (both symphonies sound stunning)

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
- Antonio Vivaldi, Holland Baroque society meets Rachel Podger, la cetra, 12 violin concertos, Channel Classics, 24/192 (nearly two hours of beautifully played and gorgeous sounding music)
- Antonin Dvorak, symphonies no. 9 and no. 8, Ivan Fischer/Budapest Festival Orchestra, Channel Classics, 24/192 (originally released as a Philips (sa)cd)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
- Antonio Vivaldi, Holland Baroque society meets Rachel Podger, la cetra, 12 violin concertos, Channel Classics, 24/192 (nearly two hours beautifully played and gorgeous sounding music)
- Antonin Dvorak, symphonies no. 9 and no. 8, Ivan Fischer/Budapest Festival Orchestra, Channel Classics, 24/192 (originally released as a Philips (sa)cd)

Agree on both...I have the CDs, but the music playing is excellent as are the recordings/masterings.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Here's a bit of a surprise: there is a new Tribute to Jackson Browne called "Looking Into You" on HDtracks. From spectrum analysis it appears to be "true" 24/96, with some dynamic compression but pretty good overall by today's standards, no noticeably excessive EQ and the music is often quite good, but overall the sound is not very appealing or involving. Not bad by any means, but far from a standout. A very good example of what Bruce B. says so often; use your ears not your eyes :p

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Let's add two more. I listened to these files on the Trinity dac/Trinity pc & drive and both sound marvelous:
- Rachmaninov, symphonic dances, etudes-tableaux, vocalise, Eiji Oue/Minnesota orchestra, Reference Recordings, 24/176.4
- Reveries, Eiji Oue/Minnesota orchestra, Reference Recordings, 24/176.4

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Some of these titles are familiar in DSD! I think they may be originally rec. in DSD or Analog transfers to DSD.

I have tons of stuff, but am all boxed up at the moment, preparing for a house move.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Some of these titles are familiar in DSD! I think they may be originally rec. in DSD or Analog transfers to DSD.

I have tons of stuff, but am all boxed up at the moment, preparing for a house move.

As far as I remember Channel Classics were known mainly because of their SACDs and DSD files. Should we assume that the 192/24 files are of higher quality than the DSD ones?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
As far as I remember Channel Classics were known mainly because of their SACDs and DSD files. Should we assume that the 192/24 files are of higher quality than the DSD ones?
Nope, cant beat native...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing