Possible MoFi Record sleeve issue...I am stumped...could it be residue ??

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I use a Keith Monks record cleaner, the monks fluids, and Mofi inner sleeves after each cleaning. I've used this combo for years now. About a year ago, I started having issues with what looked like some sort of residue on my LP's. It seemed water soluble...definately something on the vinyl...not IN it. I kept thinking maybe excessive mold release compound from certain pressing plants.

I went back and cleaned all the effect records last week. Problem solved! Maybe it was my Monks not sucking the fluid off right. I listen...stick back the sleeve and all ok. But HMMMM...when I pull the now twice cleaned record from the same sleeve...residue is back. Albeit not quite as bad. Seems to me to be something with my batch of sleeves...

Anyone else experience any issues with MoFi sleeves?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I don't remember if it was here or another forum, but your concern has been brought up before. From what I can gather MOFI was aware that there may have been an issue (I don't know exactly what), but the problem seems to have been resolved. I've not had this issue myself however.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I don't remember if it was here or another forum, but your concern has been brought up before. From what I can gather MOFI was aware that there may have been an issue (I don't know exactly what), but the problem seems to have been resolved. I've not had this issue myself however.

I've seen that issue brought up on Audiogon with several sleeves but never substantiated. I've never experienced such an issue with any of the sleeves I've used over the years.

What it sounds like is some interaction between the cleaning fluids and the sleeves maybe not unlike the old plastic sleeves that leached plasticizers onto the records with time?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I've seen that issue brought up on Audiogon with several sleeves but never substantiated. I've never experienced such an issue with any of the sleeves I've used over the years.

What it sounds like is some interaction between the cleaning fluids and the sleeves maybe not unlike the old plastic sleeves that leached plasticizers onto the records with time?

I have some of those LP's ...it was a paper outer and a plastic inner...and along the glue line...have a bleached look in 2 lines across the LP's. Hasn't seemed to effect the sound quality.

This problem...is some sort of residue...it's not uniform and perfect...but sticks to certain areas more that others. At first I thought my fluid wasn't coming off...but I can play a LP....both sides...it must be perfect dry...and the perfectly cleaned LP has a soluble residue again...after sleeve insertion.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Interesting...I am going to go search a few places..thanks for commenting

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Just bought some sleeves. Hope I don't have to deal with it.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Just bought some sleeves. Hope I don't have to deal with it.

I just found this on another forum (sorry steve for posting here...but you know I love this forum the best!!!)

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-my-vinyl-ever-encounter-this-problem.302662/

The sleeves I am buying are from a dealer in Tx that bought several 1000 in late 2012/early 2013 - I suspect this might be a temporary issue and what you just bought are great...like I said, I've used these sleeves for YEARS...and nary a issue ...until recently

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Plain old el cheapo bell shaped poly inner sleeves are the cheapest and work perfectly.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing