Changes Are Coming

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My KEF LS50 speakers and stands are long gone. The stands went to a very happy new owner in CA and the speakers went to a very happy new owner in UT. I sold my Def Tech speakers and they are going to be picked up tomorrow. My new speakers have been ordered, but it is going to be awhile until I have them. I'm hoping my new speakers will be here in early May, but they will be worth waiting for.

My KSA-250 is currently up for sale on Audiogon as I'm trying to pull off a local sale where someone comes to my house and takes it away. I REALLY don't want to have to deal with shipping it. So that means more change is coming in the amplifier department.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
New speakers and amps? Holy moly! Hints as to what has been ordered and to come?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-I have ordered a pair of the NOLA KO speakers that I fell in love with at RMAF 2012. As for the amp, I will be soon ordering an ARC REF 75.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Nice! I hope they both please your ear palette.

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John-I have ordered a pair of the NOLA KO speakers that I fell in love with at RMAF 2012. As for the amp, I will be soon ordering an ARC REF 75.

Major, major congratulations my friend!:D I love to hear this kind of stuff. Excuse my unfamiliarity with the Krell gear, but this is a change from SS to Tube gear, no?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Tom. There is a reason that Carl demonstrates the NOLA KO speakers with the REF 75 (not to mention other more expensive speakers in his line). The REF 75 is a special amp and judging by other companies that also demo their gear with the REF 75, it seems to be a shared feeling. As Forest Gump would say, the NOLA KO speakers and the REF 75 "go together like peas and carrots."

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Major, major congratulations my friend!:D I love to hear this kind of stuff. Excuse my unfamiliarity with the Krell gear, but this is a change from SS to Tube gear, no?

Yes, John. The Krell KSA-250 is a SS monster capable of putting out 4,000 watts into a .5 ohm impedance assuming it could suck enough current out of your wall socket. It's simply unflappable in the face of speakers with wacky impedance curves.

The REF 75 represents a return to vacuum tubes for me. What I absolutely love about this amp aside from the fact that it sounds great, looks great, and it's super easy to bias is the fact that it only uses a single pair of output tubes per channel. It's much easier to do a great job of matching a pair of output tubes than it is to match a quad or two quads per channel. Much cheaper to buy replacements too which is also important to some people me included.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Christian. I am excited about receiving the speakers and I hope they do handily outperform my BP7000SC speakers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow! That sounds like one great new system! Congrats!!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yes, John. The Krell KSA-250 is a SS monster capable of putting out 4,000 watts into a .5 ohm impedance assuming it could suck enough current out of your wall socket. It's simply unflappable in the face of speakers with wacky impedance curves.

The REF 75 represents a return to vacuum tubes for me. What I absolutely love about this amp aside from the fact that it sounds great, looks great, and it's super easy to bias is the fact that it only uses a single pair of output tubes per channel. It's much easier to do a great job of matching a pair of output tubes than it is to match a quad or two quads per channel. Much cheaper to buy replacements too which is also important to some people me included.

What preamp(s) do you have in the mix?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mark

great news buddy

That is a great combination that will serve you well. Now did you also bite on the Odin IC's and SC's that Carl demoed with

I wish! Those cables are way out of my price range unfortunately. I'm still mulling over what to do about speaker cables.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
What preamp(s) do you have in the mix?

John-For the immediate future, I will be using my Krell KRC-HR. I love the sound of the KRC-HR even if it doesn't have the bloom and some of the 3D that the best of tubes gives you. It is a highly transparent preamp, super-quiet, very dynamic (but not as dynamic as it's wowie-zowie older brother the KBL). It also suits my setup as it has two balanced inputs (and I'm using both of them), one set of balanced outputs and one set of unbalanced outputs (and I'm using both of them), not to mention that you can invert phase and switch the gain all from the remote. I can 'slum' with it for awhile.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

Sounds like an incredible setup Mark, I have only heard good things on both the REF 75 and the KO speakers, you are in for a treat!!!!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Sounds like an incredible setup Mark, I have only heard good things on both the REF 75 and the KO speakers, you are in for a treat!!!!

Thanks Fernando. Based on what I heard at RMAF 2012 with the KO/REF 75 combo, my 'expectation bias' is running high. I'm still missing the REF 5SE and $40k worth of speaker cables that were also in the signal chain though.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks Fernando. Based on what I heard at RMAF 2012 with the KO/REF 75 combo, my 'expectation bias' is running high. I'm still missing the REF 5SE and $40k worth of speaker cables that were also in the signal chain though.

I'll send you my specially-coated, burned-in lampcord wire.....don't sweat the small things. :p LOL!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Big changes, Mark. The REF75 sounds really great - if it was not for my need of some extra power and bass control for some of the speakers that sometimes show (or can show ... ;)) in my room it would will would be my choice.

Be prepared for an ARC preamp soon or later - remember than an used REF3 is a great preamplifier. If you ever find an LS5 mk3 do not hesitate - it would sound great with the REF75, and although very rare they usually go for very nice prices.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing