New 2-slot Son of Horus

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
The long expected 2-slot version of Horus is finally released. No word on pricing yet, and it would require a Merging's DA8P 8 channel DAC card to complete the hardware, plus Merging's Pyramix software. It's capable of also hosting Merging's AD8DP 8 channel A/D converter card for a fully professional quality recording system up to 256fs DSD.

http://www.merging.com/products/hapi

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
HAPI ?? Really??

I thought Horus was bad

Merging's DAC card & ADC card look simple. For example, there is only one ESS9018 chip on the 8-channel DAC card.
And I guess the psu inside Horus & Hapi are switching psu.

IMHO Their merit is the in softwares : Pyramix, Emotion, software and Ravenna transmission format.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
So you like complexity? Maybe you should hear one first.

I did hear the Horus at a friend's stereo CAS system using a Window notebook and Merging's Emotion software.
Connection is by a LANS cable.
Not impressed at all.

Hi Bruce : How does Horus perform in a studio environment, with fine-tuning by professionals like you?
Thanks!

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
I did hear the Horus at a friend's stereo CAS system using a Window notebook and Merging's Emotion software.
Connection is by a LANS cable.
Not impressed at all.

Well, that's your opinion and experience. I use my Horus in a studio environment, multi-channel, with electrostatic speakers. I replaced three different professional DAC's with the Horus, after judging the sound quality as superior in resolving spacial and tonal information. It was far more realistic. This was with all DSD raw session files at various sampling rates.

I know of and work with three labels/studios who are selling off their existing mastering and editing systems, all of which operate under Pyramix, after being replaced by multiple Horus's. These, as mine, and all Ethernet networked.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks for the Merging Link. I got quite a surprise (really a shock) when I clicked on this part of the Merging link.

http://www.merging.com/solutions/sacd-mastering

I have been using Pyramix and their Mykerinos card in my giant vinyl ripping project for the past 3+ years. They feed my PM2 ADAC. Claude and Dominic visited me in 2010 to talk about their ideas for Emotion which wasn't yet in development. They also took a few shots of my system. I don't do any SACD mastering, but I guess they liked the image of my front three Avantgarde speakers to illustrate the multichannel aspect of SACD.

Larry

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Well, that's your opinion and experience. I use my Horus in a studio environment, multi-channel, with electrostatic speakers. I replaced three different professional DAC's with the Horus, after judging the sound quality as superior in resolving spacial and tonal information. It was far more realistic. This was with all DSD raw session files at various sampling rates.

I know of and work with three labels/studios who are selling off their existing mastering and editing systems, all of which operate under Pyramix, after being replaced by multiple Horus's. These, as mine, and all Ethernet networked.

Hi tailspn,

Thanks for your info.
This is exactly why I ask the question about the performance of Horus in its native studio habitat.
I will tell my Horus owner friend about your comment & setup. However I guess Horus may not be able to perform as optimally as yours in a consumer/home environment.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Merging's DAC card & ADC card look simple. For example, there is only one ESS9018 chip on the 8-channel DAC card.
And I guess the psu inside Horus & Hapi are switching psu.

IMHO Their merit is the in softwares : Pyramix, Emotion, software and Ravenna transmission format.

Although I thought the Horus was more complicated than using just one ESS9018; specifically talking about DSD rather than PCM as IMO this is what Horus is really about.
Seems DAD are the ones pushing PCM/DXD technology-solution envelope I think with their very latest product.
Just my take anyway.
Cheers
Orb

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
Although I thought the Horus was more complicated than using just one ESS9018; specifically talking about DSD rather than PCM as IMO this is what Horus is really about.

It is much more complicated. Horus is about multiple channel (48 per unit) networkable hardware (both on the recording and playback side) for professional application, that marries with their Pyramix Workstation editing software (which for editing is PCM based). It's elegantly designed, based on the chip technology of the ARDA AT1201 for the A/D converter, and ESS9018 for the D/A converter, and their own associated circuitry. It was four years in development, and was designed to raise the bar in sound quality for recording and playback in both PCM at existing supported sampling rates (up to 352.8KHz), and DSD with an increase of bit rate up to 11.6MHz, from the existing 64fs of 2.82MHz. This it accomplishes for substantially less cost per channel of any existing like systems. The Pyramix software also provides the here-to-for unavailable editing tools to use those increased speeds.

It's designed for the audio production market (recordings, broadcast, PA/arena support etc.), for engineers and producers who listen to content continuously, and are able to judge what sounds correct to themselves. If it were designed for the audiophile/consumer market, it would sell for at least 5X more, be housed in milled aluminium, have many more discrete parts, and embrace the latest audiophile beliefs of design quality.

As it is, for eight channels of playback in the new two card chassis, even requiring the purchase of the Pyramix Mastering Pack software (and learning how to use it for playback), it's a great bargain. When the Emotion software is finally released, assuming it will interface with Horus/Hapi like it presently does with Mykerinos, it'll be the bargain of the century.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi Bruce : How does Horus perform in a studio environment, with fine-tuning by professionals like you?
Thanks!

One of the best I've heard. Can't decide which I like the most, the Grimm or Horus. It does configure into my workflow better than the Grimm though. It probably gets used 90% of the time.

I use it with 3 systems, Masscore, Native and Emotion all connected through a Dell switcher. Works perfectly. Like Tom said, implementing it with the software, especially Pyramix, is a daunting process for the newbie.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
It is much more complicated. Horus is about multiple channel (48 per unit) networkable hardware (both on the recording and playback side) for professional application, that marries with their Pyramix Workstation editing software (which for editing is PCM based). It's elegantly designed, based on the chip technology of the ARDA AT1201 for the A/D converter, and ESS9018 for the D/A converter, and their own associated circuitry. It was four years in development, and was designed to raise the bar in sound quality for recording and playback in both PCM at existing supported sampling rates (up to 352.8KHz), and DSD with an increase of bit rate up to 11.6MHz, from the existing 64fs of 2.82MHz. This it accomplishes for substantially less cost per channel of any existing like systems. The Pyramix software also provides the here-to-for unavailable editing tools to use those increased speeds.

It's designed for the audio production market (recordings, broadcast, PA/arena support etc.), for engineers and producers who listen to content continuously, and are able to judge what sounds correct to themselves. If it were designed for the audiophile/consumer market, it would sell for at least 5X more, be housed in milled aluminium, have many more discrete parts, and embrace the latest audiophile beliefs of design quality.

As it is, for eight channels of playback in the new two card chassis, even requiring the purchase of the Pyramix Mastering Pack software (and learning how to use it for playback), it's a great bargain. When the Emotion software is finally released, assuming it will interface with Horus/Hapi like it presently does with Mykerinos, it'll be the bargain of the century.

Thanks Tailspn,
that is what I thought.
Cheers
Orb

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
If Emotion ever does reach production, I highly doubt it will interface through 10 year old obsolete cards. It will more than likely interface over the Ravena protocol.
Emotion is actually built on the Ovation platform.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing