Room Acoustics

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I guess there are no gods.
Hold your judgement, there's not enough information to judge anything or anyone! I still don't know what Len's question is. His sound is good but he's unhappy that the measurement didn't his sound? He still wants to change things around, why?

I'm not making a personal statement about a particular person, I'm making a statement about "experts" in general.

Experts can be very good but none is infallible.

Dale Pitcher

Industry Expert
Mar 11, 2014
Torrington, WY & Boseman, MT
On the cylinders, we used 1/4" F-13.

In other applications we have used F-13 up to 1" thick - black holes for absorbing reflections in a fairly linear fashion down to below 300 Hz.

F-13 is a medium density 100% pressed wool felt. You can get much higher - up to F-60 density, which is extremely dense. The higher densities are useful as quasi-constrained layer damping under platforms and such.

If you have the budget to play around, it is worth it just to go on a site like Sutherlands and get a yard or two of several different densities and play with it.

One other material that is worth mentioning in association with room acoustics is carded top Wool. It comes standard in white, but also comes dyed black and other colors. This stuff is great - it's like loose wool yarn at about 1" in diameter. It costs about $20 per pound - a bit less if you if you set up a commercial account and buy in "bump" quantities - a tight spool of about 40 pounds. I use it a lot. You can get this through Brown Sheep Wool Company in Scottsbluff, NE.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
There are ways to do room acoustic measurement and analysis remotely. I offer a remote service as do others. You either take the measurements and send to the consultant for analysis, or he/she takes over your computer and does them for you. Details on my room acoustic analysis page.

I strongly believe in the value of acoustic measurements and have developed a process for reviewing a set of measurements and comparing to targets. You may or may not have read the paper I wrote entitled Acoustical Measurement Standards for High End Audio.

I've worked with DallasJustice who is on this forum extensively, he is in Dallas I am just north of San Francisco. All the work was done remotely, even including integration of multiple subwoofers.

Thanks very much for the response Nyal. It is interesting to me your firm can do remote acoustic analysis.

My primary concern regarding room acoustic measurements revolves around what I consider to be an expensive failed effort by the Sarasota, Florida firm mentioned in posts #1, 8, and 9.

Could you look at the WBF pictures of my media room (link in post #1) which show an L-shaped open floor plan, and tell me if your remote measuring approach would be effective in this type of room?

I am pretty satisfied with the current sound as the room was designed primarily for dedicated stereo listening. But I would certainly like to make sure the acoustics are fully supporting the heavy investment I have made in audio equipment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing