Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
From MarketWired

Led Zeppelin,
Led Zeppelin II, and Led Zeppelin III will each be available June 3 from Atlantic/Swan Song in the following formats:
  • Single CD - Remastered album packaged in a gatefold card wallet.
  • Deluxe Edition (2CD) - Remastered album, plus a second disc of unreleased companion audio.
  • Single LP - Remastered album on 180-gram vinyl, packaged in a sleeve that replicates the LP's first pressing in exacting detail. (For example, III will feature the original wheel and die cut holes.)
  • Deluxe Edition Vinyl - Remastered album and unreleased companion audio on 180-gram vinyl.
  • Digital Download - Remastered album and companion audio will both be available.
  • Super Deluxe Boxed Set - This collection includes:
    • Remastered album on CD in vinyl replica sleeve.
    • Companion audio on CD in card wallet.
    • Remastered album on 180-gram vinyl in a sleeve replicating first pressing.
    • Companion audio on 180-gram vinyl.
    • High-def audio download card of all content at 96kHz/24 bit. (Live tracks are 48kHz/24 bit).
    • Hard bound, 70+ page book filled with rare and previously unseen photos and memorabilia.
    • High quality print of the original album cover, the first 30,000 of which will be individually numbered.
    • Led Zeppelin will also include a replica of the band's original Atlantic press kit.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Here is what I don't like and that is what is left unsaid and what is implied. At quick glance, you read the words "Painstakingly remastered from the original master tapes by guitarist Jimmy Page." Some would assume that means the LP was sourced from the original master tapes and that chain would have been: master tapes>mixing console + doodads>remastered tapes>vinyl. I assume what it really means is that the original master tapes were remastered in digital and the LP was cut from the new digital master. That's where I would put my money if I was a betting man.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Here is what I don't like and that is what is left unsaid and what is implied. At quick glance, you read the words "Painstakingly remastered from the original master tapes by guitarist Jimmy Page." Some would assume that means the LP was sourced from the original master tapes and that chain would have been: master tapes>mixing console + doodads>remastered tapes>vinyl. I assume what it really means is that the original master tapes were remastered in digital and the LP was cut from the new digital master. That's where I would put my money if I was a betting man.

I didn't take it that way but I could be wrong. I'm always on the lookout though ;)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

a redux of the 1990 remaster? similar spiel, jimmy page supervised the mastering session but those tapes were sourced from the groups personal archives, not Atlantic's masters. I'm sure Mikey will get the bottom of it. i'm with you, if I were a betting man id say this release will prolly be cut from digital files.

Attachments

• Led_Zeppelin_-_Remasters.jpg
    Led_Zeppelin_-_Remasters.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 110

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes, perhaps, but are we not forgetting that the vinyl process will "process" that signal, no matter if it has been digitized or not, and end result will be what vinyl philes love. IMO. And of course, if these are relatively old tapes, they have lost a lot of energy anyway.
Huh?

Unfortunately you are twisting what's been said and confusing apples with oranges. All things being equal, some here have stated a preference for a digital recording issued on vinyl to the same on CD.

That has zero to do with the LZ remasters. Here, we're talking about an analog master reissued on vinyl being preferable to the same thing digicrapped and released on vinyl. One has nothing to do with the other.

And I suppose you're speaking from experience regarding master tapes. Could you tell us what type of tape was used and what master tapes you've heard?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I agree...digitally sourced copies of the analog tapes. No thanks. They can't improve on Classics Records versions. In fact, they will be worse.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I agree...digitally sourced copies of the analog tapes. No thanks. They can't improve on Classics Records versions. In fact, they will be worse.

Yep. The CR will be tough to top. Highly unlikely these new ones will be up to the challenge.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yep. The CR will be tough to top. Highly unlikely these new ones will be up to the challenge.

Have you guys compared the original Piros/Ludwig with the CR releases? I have both but never did a head to head.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Newly Remastered by Jimmy Page from the Original Master Tapes!

Logically one could assume re-mastered from the master analog reels in analog and cut to lacquer. What really happens, imo...the original master reels are copied to 24 bit and that 24 bit master is re-mastered (in digital) and cut to lacquer. These record companies sound like politicians...twisting their words for their own benefit. I would love to be proven wrong though.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Have you guys compared the original Piros/Ludwig with the CR releases? I have both but never did a head to head.

yes, I have an NM- of LZ2. It sounds very good. It's a tossup for me with the 45. Just different sound signatures. I'm glad I don't have to choose. I also have NM Houses which sounds great. Again, I like both.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
yes, I have an NM- of LZ2. It sounds very good. It's a tossup for me with the 45. Just different sound signatures. I'm glad I don't have to choose. I also have NM Houses which sounds great. Again, I like both.

I never got the 45rpm versions save for the single of Stairway to Heaven. :(

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, perhaps, but are we not forgetting that the vinyl process will "process" that signal, no matter if it has been digitized or not, and end result will be what vinyl philes love. IMO. (...)

Tom,

Were you elected by a significant number of vinylphiles to become their representative? As far as I know, the majority of WBF vinylphiles systematically disagree with your views on vinyl, why this abusive insistence misrepresenting what they like and do not like?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I only have the original Canadian releases and admittedly they aren't in the best shape. Very playable mind you and I enjoy listening to them for the content. I never got into LZ at first and it took me a long time to appreciate them, strange as that may sound. As such, I'm hoping that whatever master is used that the verdict will at least be a purchase worth considering. I'll just stick to buying the individual LP's and forego the fancy additive editions.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I know where you can get LZ1 and IV 45 rpm sealed...They are like $700.00/copy though...

I don't think I'd spend that for even one my Top 5 albums. It's all relative I suppose, but still......

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Christian,

What is your opinion about the 33 rpm Classic Records LZ IV?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing