Dyson Vacuum Cleaners

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Vacuum Cleaners are a weird category of products. In many ways they are like high end interconnects, power cords and speaker wire. They all do the basic job, but most, if not all claim to be the best and have their own tests to support their claims; they seem to cost way to much money for what they cost to produce; and they are necessary.

Over the years, I have bought several, paying exorbitant amounts of money at times, usually only to conclude that they were "just a vacuum cleaner" with the passage of time. Well no longer--enter Dyson, make that the Dyson DC 65 MF ball upright vacuum.

Four years ago I bought a Dyson DC 25 Animal ball vacuum. Within several feet of vacuuming, it was clear that it was clearly superior to everything I had previously owned, especially the two Shark vacuums I had owned and turned out to be space wasters in my utility closet, that is before they both broke, not to mention several Electrolux's. I thought I had found vacuum nirvana with the DC 25 Animal, as did my cleaning lady who loved to use it around my house much like she was driving a Bugatti around my house.

Somehow the Bugatti vacuum crashed while I was at work as she was driving it around my house. Not sure what to do since I lost all of the warranty papers when Superstorm Sandy took them with my house, although the actual vacuum survived because I stored it with my audio equipment in a high and safe location. (Kind of weird isn't it?)

Trying to figure out what to do with my injured, but still functional Bugatti vacuum, I took it to my office to vacuum the carpets before I sent it away for repairs. Then I called Dyson, who said no problem, just give them the serial number and they would send the proper box, pay for it to be shipped to a regional service center and send it back to me fixed. My cleaning woman said I should see if Bed, Bath and Beyond, where I bought it for cash and had no receipt and never registered it with Dyson, might be able to help me.

I called BB&B and they said bring it back, and if I could prove it came from them, they would give me credit towards a new one. Fortunately the box survived Sandy and had a shipping label that proved it came from BB&B.

Cutting to the chase, BB&B took the DC 25 Animal back and gave me credit towards their new best vacuum, the DC 65 MF. So for $150 I became the owner of a new Dyson DC 65 MF and then went to my office where I assembled it and tried it out. Within 10 feet of vacuuming, I knew the Bugatti had been significantly improved, make that massively improved, both regard to easy of use and suction. My findings were confirmed at home, where I took my latest toy for a second test drive.

So four things: the DC 65 MF is amazing and hopefully something I will have for a long time; the design flaw that failed on the DC 25 is gone; BB&B is the Apple of housewares; and the Dyson DC 65 MF is the Shunyata of vacuums--once you experience what it can do in an allegedly commodity space, there is not going back!

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Concur that Dysons are worth their cost. I have five in the house (multilevel, so each level has its own, + handheld model in Kitchen pantry), the oldest is over a decade old and still going strong. The experience using them is as good as vacuuming gets.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I am going to have to think about how good vacuuming can get, but I have to admit vacuuming with the DC 65 feels like having a floor based light saber. Kind of sick, somewhat like the way we spend money on audio!!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
How's the charging life on that portable unit? I love the small form factor and my place is not big, so this may work well for me.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Mine is working great. Had rainbows before, hated the whole water thing, and base that follows... but they don't know how to die.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
We own two Dyson DC14 vacuum cleaners - used to have a two story house so one for each floor. One was purchased in 2005 and one in 2006 and both are still going strong.

In our current home we only have two guest bedrooms with carpeting so they don't get much work any longer. We expect they will last a while longer.

I once threw away an old canister Electrolux vacuum that had been sitting in our garage for many years. Apparently it had belonged to my wife's mother and I was unaware of her sentimental attachment to the device.

There was hell to pay for that one. :)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I am apparently as addicted to vacuum cleaners as I am to audio equipment. When my bride wants to go shopping in a store that sells vacuums, I am more than happy to go with her. She shops and I hang out in the vacuum section. Have no clue why I have this fascination. Have yet to purchase a Dyson but do have a very old Kirby that refuses to die -- as well as a Shark. I bought the Shark since I wanted a flexible/mobil/inexpensive vacuum for my audio equipment room and to work around my speakers. The Kirby is on the 2nd floor (as is my listening and equipment room) and basically seldom gets used. VERY over rated vacuum and even with the clutch, most house keepers hate them (too heavy to take up or down stairs).

May have to (secretly) kill one of my vacuums and go the Dyson route.

OT but not exactly, anyone have any great success with the "robot" vacuums?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..we had the DC14 for years...replaced several broken or worn out parts. We finally decided it was just too heavy and went with a Miele..

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
..we had the DC14 for years...replaced several broken or worn out parts. We finally decided it was just too heavy and went with a Miele..

I just did a quick search on quality vacuums and the Miele came out on top on many of the sites. And, interestingly enough, my well used Shark came out very well also. And if you have any faith in Consumer Reports (for appliances, I do), they didn't seem to rate the Dyson much, if any, ahead of the Shark!!

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Love / hate relationship with Miele. Anything gets stuck in the internal tube routing to the bag, good luck getting it out. Can't take the bottom plate off without a set of star allen keys. Are we really talking about vacuum cleaners on an audio site?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Love / hate relationship with Miele. Anything gets stuck in the internal tube routing to the bag, good luck getting it out. Can't take the bottom plate off without a set of star allen keys. Are we really talking about vacuum cleaners on an audio site?

..you might want to check the title of this forum. Vacuums seem to fit the topic..

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
We have a dyson fan. It's a weakling.

Purchased the entry level Miele vacuum and could not be more satisfied. Great unit and very quiet for a vacuum cleaner.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I love our Dyson. We have 2 big dogs and it gets the job done. I just ordered a Dyson hair dryer from a points catalog and am interested to see if they can blow as well as they suck.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have had a Dyson DC31 hand-held vacuum for about a decade. It seems sick/weak now. I looked on the Dyson website and I was surprised and very impressed to see that Dyson sells every modular component of their vacuums.

So instead of buying a new hand-held vacuum I can buy from Dyson a new clear dust bin and almost every other part. You can also buy a new battery pack and even the motor/vacuum assembly. Except for the middle part (analogous to the frame of a pistol) to which the other components attach you can buy every modular component necessary to create a brand new vacuum.

I think this is a pretty classy business model.

I have always used a full-size Miele canister vacuum, but I am so impressed with my Dyson hand-held vacuum that I wonder how the full-size Dyson vacuums compare to the full-size Miele vacuums.

Has anyone compared directly one of the Dyson canister vacuums to a comparable Miele canister vacuum?

Reactions: Edgar1985

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I haven't compared with Miele but I have been using Dyson for about 10 years and still have a DC04 and a newer DC25 both of which I am very pleased with.
I usually have them serviced once a year which is a worthwhile exercise IME

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
PS
Dyson is currently in a legal battle with the European Court. Apparently the EU tests for vacuum cleaners' performance is based on an empty cleaner which he claims gives the German manufacturers an unfair advantage and is not a credible test of performance

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If you want to put a big fat smile o your wife or girlfriend's face, give her a Dyson......hair dryer. Women are going nuts over them.

Reactions: Steve Williams

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing