emm labs xds 1 versus the xds1v2

Violetmachan

Feb 25, 2012
emmlabs xds1 and emmlabs xds1v2
Do anybody from the forum have views or reviews of the emmlabs xds v2......has been in the market for quite awhile?

is it just the original xds1 unit with better connectivity or do you feel there is an improvement in the music playback

does it match the two piece latest dac and transport from Meitner audio

Is there any feedback from people who have upgraded from xds1 to the v2

do you think it matches the latest playback designs ,eera's autograph , DCS, esoterics and other single players in the same sound bracket!

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I upgraded my xds1 to the v2 and in addition to usb and toslink connectivity inputs, it does incorporate all the internal improvements in the dac2x. There was a noticable improvement in resolution and dynamics over my original xds1. I also understand EMM Labs is going to release a firmware update for the v2 sometime later this year that will result in further SQ improvements.

In addition to using my xds1 to play SACD's, I've ripped all my RBCD's to FLAC files using dbpoweramp and using my Toshiba laptop as a music server connected to the xds1 usb input using a 1M Kimber Kable/AG. EMM Labs supplies a audio driver specifically for the xds1 that works very well with JRiver and the other Windows 7 software changes related to making the laptop a dedicated music server.

I'm also beginning to add some hirez DSD and FLAC music files to my music server. Many consider the xds1 dac one of the best available and I wouldn't argue. I've listened to both the Holly Cole:Temptation SACD vs. the DD DSD file (great album) and to my ear they sound awesome.

Violetmachan

Feb 25, 2012
that's one stunning system you have put together , Len

thanks for your input on the xds1 upgrade to the v2......sounds good to upgrade.....is it very powercord sensitive

Have you had a chance to compare the upgraded single player to the transport and dac ,two unit setup from Meitner and the other single box contenders

I am very keen on keeping nos of units to a minimum.... and have been very happy with the original xds1 for some years

I would like to venture into using the USB input! once the upgraded unit comes back

thanks for the update Len white
violetmachan

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I too have enjoyed the xds1 since 2011, especially SACD playback. I expect to keep the xds1 for a long time.

I've not done a comparison of the xds1 vs. the transport/dac. I agree with keeping the number of audio devices to a minimum.

Let me know if I can try to help when you setup the usb input.

Violetmachan

Feb 25, 2012
the emmlabs xds 1 v2 upgrade plan was put into action because I want to explore the USB input ......good to hear that it does have a added slight improvement in sound reproduction
I would definitely need help and direction with optimising the USB input option......especially during setup.
The unit is expected to return by the end of march
Thanks for the help option Len
violetmachan

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
the emmlabs xds 1 v2 upgrade plan was put into action because I want to explore the USB input ......good to hear that it does have a added slight improvement in sound reproduction
I would definitely need help and direction with optimising the USB input option......especially during setup.
The unit is expected to return by the end of march
Thanks for the help option Len
violetmachan

You're very welcome - I sent you a WBF PM.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I recently upgraded from the XDS1 v1 to the v2. Like LenWhite, I was prompted to do this mainly for the USB input. Like Len, I've also noticed an improvement in resolution. I can't say I noticed a big improvement in dynamics since I thought the v1 also excelled in this area. I'd like to emphasize that a big key to maximum performance on either version is the Shunyata Alpha digital PC. This is a very real benefit in the reduction of digital grain that can best be appreciated by its sudden absence when using the Alpha digital cable. As far as comparisons to other player/DACs, I'm pleased to say I'm a solid Meitner believer. No other system sounds as musical to my ears and that includes the uber expensive DCS stack. This is most obviously noticed on string harmonics and other material with good high frequency content. The top end has air AND bloom which distinguishes it from the dryness I typically identify with DCS and others. I have not heard the Trinity, which seems to be the new DAC to beat. But to be honest, I have no inclination to look for anything in the digital realm beyond the Meitner gear. It is reference caliber instrumentation that serves the music beautifully, at least to my ears.

Violetmachan

Feb 25, 2012
hi Marty

I am sure the trinity dac may be the hallowed name in dac tech at present .

Like you and Len I am keen on using a single unit to play cd and sacd's and the need for the v2 upgrade was to use the USB input and venture into the digital domain.

what are you using the USB input for

Since the early 2005 I have used various contraptions of Meitner audio and was very happy with what came out out the xds in my system

many many years ago i did use the sonic frontier dac ( i did enjoy the tube dac but had hassles with reliability )with dedicated transport and followed by the reference levinson transport and dac (30.5/31.5) in the late nineties was followed by the esoteric x1...all of them helped me on the music journey !! to reach where I am at present......I.e just to listen to music and which turns on with a flick of a button( major automation freak) which at present i have in abundance ......every time it sings I still get goosebumps.

my emmlabs xdsv2 upgrade will be delivered to me next week!.....will probably need to let it run-in....hope it spills out all the magic you guys claim......good

I have been using the Jena 1 power cord for many years......sounds fine to me

The other single player which takes me down goosebump alley is the eera tentation.......may try didier new autograph .....which at its current configuration had no USB input

Well I think the listening to music is soooo subjective....happy with just listening to what sounds like music to me !

violetmachan

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
cost of upgrading xds1 to version 2

How much does it cost to upgrade xds1 to version 2 pls? I am considering such a move. Thks

I too have enjoyed the xds1 since 2011, especially SACD playback. I expect to keep the xds1 for a long time.

I've not done a comparison of the xds1 vs. the transport/dac. I agree with keeping the number of audio devices to a minimum.

Let me know if I can try to help when you setup the usb input.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
How much does it cost to upgrade xds1 to version 2 pls? I am considering such a move. Thks

The v2 upgrade was done with the help of my original dealer (The Audio Federation) and the cost was $2500.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Recently had my XDS1 V2ed and noted an improvement in all aspects but especially in high frequency sparkle and the lower end. I have always used this machine with an upgrade Kimber PK 10 power cord, but tried a Nordost Blue Heaven used on my phono preamp, and Wow. The CD player came alive and the Nordost stayed, that is until I acquired a Heimdall 2, and a more subtle improvement - a very solid soundstage and impressive bass on little Memento speakers. My plan is to move up the Nordost line since improvement seems inevitable. I have heard that the emm Labs isn't power cord sensitive, but it is.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Cascals,
I have a XDS1 v2. Like you I started with a Kimber PK 10, tried a Valhalla PC, but eventually wound up with a Shunyata Zitron Alpha digital, and most recently, a Shuyata Sigma digital. You might wish to try a Shunyata Zitron PC. Once you hear what the Zitron technology does in its removal of digital grain and noise, it will be hard to go back. Since the cost of an Alpha is about 1/2 the cost of a Valhalla, that seems to be a very attractive solution; at least it was for me.
Marty

Violetmachan

Feb 25, 2012
I think the emmlabs xds1v2 with all the latest firmware upgrade done late nov 2014 , has taken my concept of single source to its limit.

the new firmware has made the player Blossom into an absolute keeper!....for the cd/sacd format.......ie see the format out

xds1v2 players , these are very pc sensitive. I have used the jena power one pc for many years....never needed to change
if shunyata PC makes it more real.....happy to try. I know jack uses a lot of shunyata cables.

Since so much of my system is vsa related.....may try the vsa-mb ultra extreme power cords when they are ready for human consumption!......must say very pleased with using an entire loom of ultra extreme cords( IC , SC)

right now I have had so many subtle upgrades done and are being done( tenor 500hp/preamp3.01).....hope I do not loose the magical interaction with my room

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Marty, Thanks for the tip on the Shunyata Zitron on the emm Labs. I am well aware of the benefits of that brand since I use earlier models on my darTZeel power amp and my Ref 5 se preamp, and have no desire to change them (besides, they look so cool). Same went with my PK 10 on the CD player until my turntable broke down and was away for repair, so I decided to try the Nordost BH which was a throw in by the dealer on another purchase. The improvement was quite spectacular even though the BH is second cheapest Nordost power cable, which led me to buy online a Heimdall 2 with the positive results stated above, especially on the bass. Power cables make a huge difference in performance so I will be experimenting with the XDS1-V2 and will try the Shunyata one of these days. (I would love to try the Nordost Odin but a 2 meter length costs 16k euros here in Europe, which is clearly insane.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing