Electric Screwdriver Re-invented

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Electric screwdrivers have been around of decades of course. But there is a new kid on the block, courtesy of technology in our smartphones. Namely the small and cheap gyro sensor. Dewalt has taken that and put it in an electric screwdriver. You push a button and the screwdriver is ready for action. Simply twist your hand to right or left and that is the direction the screwdriver will rotate! Move it faster and it will go faster! It is a hard thing to describe in words. But in practice it works amazingly well once you get used to it. No more having to flip the switch to reverse directions or have the screwdriver rotate the wrong way than what you intended.

Beyond the gyro, this is an excellent screwdriver. When off, it is locked so that you can use it as a manual screwdriver to say, tighten the screw manually at the end. It also has the all important lithium battery (new small one for Dewalt). Almost all the others have NiCad which self discharges. You go and get the darn thing and the battery is dead. THat is the story with my 7.2 volt Dewalt.

Another super cool feature is the torque setting. They have been adjusted so that the bottom of the scale is super low allowing one to use it to screw in the little screws on the wall plates without breaking the plastic.

Here is the link for more info: http://www.dewalt.com/8vmax-gyroscopic-technology-screwdriver

Highly Recommended! Be sure to get the combo kit with two batteries.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It looks a great tool. Unfortunately it also shows why european do-it-yourself can not compete with the US - you can get the two battery kit from Amazon for $90 and the price at German Amazon is $244 ... :(.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
This is the standard for the copier industry. The big appeal here, in addition to convenient size, is the way the forward/reverse control works. Press the top of the trigger to go forward, and press the lower half to go in reverse. It is the only cordless screwdriver with forward/reverse designed in such a way that it is completely second nature to use. That alone makes it worth the price of admission, but the unit has long battery life and amazing power for such a small tool. The body is practically indestructible, too.

Its nicad battery recharges quickly. Nicads seem to have fallen from favor lately, but I much prefer them because of their longer lifespan in actual use, and because of the more affordable replacement cost. Mine are several years old and still going strong, but it is good to know that replacements can be had for a decent price.

Retail from Snap-On is $170, but the street price is often significantly less. I gave $100 for mine.

CTS561CL.jpg

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Seems like a nice take on the classic screwdriver. I have to tell you though, Lithium batteries are the way to go :). It is such a pleasure to pick up the tool after months of being in the case and have it work at full power. Just today I had to remove a couple of screws and mine powered up like there is no tomorrow. The light is very handy too. Best of all is the weight and size because I can hold it one-handed for a good while and not get tired.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Seems like a nice take on the classic screwdriver. I have to tell you though, Lithium batteries are the way to go :). It is such a pleasure to pick up the tool after months of being in the case and have it work at full power. Just today I had to remove a couple of screws and mine powered up like there is no tomorrow. The light is very handy too. Best of all is the weight and size because I can hold it one-handed for a good while and not get tired.

Unless they catch on fire which they have a propensity to do and good luck putting the fire out since lithium batteries generate oxygen as they burn.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Unless they catch on fire which they have a propensity to do and good luck putting the fire out since lithium batteries generate oxygen as they burn.

Killjoy! :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That is a risk indeed. So do you put your mobile phone in your pocket or do you carry it away from you in a fireproof case?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I cross my fingers and hope it doesn't light off in my pocket. It has happened to people unfortunately. Sony had a big problem with their laptops catching on fire a few years ago. Boeing recently had a problem with their new plane catching on fire because of lithium batteries. All batteries have the potential to be dangerous, lithium batteries have the potential to very dangerous. Does it stop me from buying products that use them? No.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing