Very happy w/ the Shunyata Typhon addition for the Triton......

wstam

Feb 17, 2013
Alpha HC for Triton to Wall

Hi, this is my first 1 post here. Can I borrow this thread to ask a question on using Alpha HC between Triton and wall socket?

I see few of you are using this Alpha HC here. Will there be much difference in performance as compare to Anaconda? What will be scarified?

Recently I upgraded my Hydra 8 to Triton. Plan to get the C19 Anaconda for the Triton to the wall next. From this thread I realised that Alpha HC is an option. My system is relatively simple: a 30W tube integrated amp, a TT setup and a digital player.

For those who have tried Anaconda and Alpha HC for Triton to wall, are you able to share your experience with them?

Thanks. Appreciate the sharing. May be I can save some money here :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Have a look at this thread from my good friend Russ.......

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...on-Power-Cords&p=260625&viewfull=1#post260625

I use 3 Anaconda umbilicals BTW and love them

I spoke to Caelin yesterday about this very thing as the AHC PC's are 1.05" in diameter but the new Typhon umbilical is 1.32" in diameter which is the same as an Anaconda. Caelin told me that the new Typhon umbilical is built to be most ideal for the Typhon and give customers the best umbilical for the money. He told me the differences between the Anaconda and the new Typhon umbilical aren't worth stressing over and because I think my room sounds tthe best it ever has I am most happy with my Anaconda umbilicals. Caelin told me that the new umbilical doesn't derive from either Anaconda or AHC construction (I hope I didn't misquote Caelin)

wstam

Feb 17, 2013
Steve and tima, thanks for responding. Didn't know that there was a discussion on AHC/Anaconda on another section of this forum.

I am using the Python Helix PC on my Triton-to-wall now (is it 2-3 generation old? bought with my Hydra 8 then). Was planning to go for the new Z-Anaconda. The dealer doesn't have a run-in one to load me for trial at this moment so let my try the Z-Python instead. Significant improvement over my existing helix version. I will check with them on AHC.

Thanks again.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Typhon Umbilical

If it comes from the factory now with an AHC umbilical I think that speaks volumes.

Instructions say to use the best cable you can and to pair that with the same or something similar for the Triton or even where some of us have a Typhon and thats with amps. I am now using a pair of AHC PC's for my amps and a pair of Anaconda umbilicals. It would be an interesting experiment for me to compare those with AHC umbilicals

Just this week I received a Typhon and it was indeed packed with the typical white Power Snakes box that contains what is labeled on the box as the "Typhon Umbilical", without reference to a AHC PC. The shorter length is directly related to the unit's performance, according to the documentation, but makes it a small pain, for me anyway, to place the Typhon. For me, the placement issue is surely related to the fact that I am using a Hydra AV as opposed to Triton. Since the AV is on the floor behind the rack, the Typhon is right next to it. (I replaced the rubber feet on both with Ultra SS.) The Umbilical is so stiff it becomes a challenge with the AV because the outlets are on top as opposed to the back as on the Triton and Typhon. My system resides on a hard floor surrounded by area rugs. Given the weight of the Typhon and stiffness of the cord, it's a bit like the tail wagging the dog because the AV is very light in comparison. Thankfully the AV isn't sliding around though I can envision the stiffness of the cord moving it over time. I am using a AHC PC from the AV to the wall.

Everything being brand new and having just plugged everything power related back in early in the morning yesterday plus knowing there is significant break-in time involved, I was still dumb-founded by what I heard on first listen last night(Bettye Lavette, Interpretations: The British Rock Songbook). I got a very good peek at all the improvements so artfully documented by all those that have preceded me in this particular Shunyata journey. To be fair, I have been a customer of Caelin's since he was the whole of Shunyata as I still use 2 of his original Black Mambas with the "stuff" that moves around inside the cord making that familiar hissing sound when the PC is moved. To be sure, I will replace those Black Mamba PCs to the preamp and amp with current PCs as $$ allow. For now, I will just sit back and enjoy the maturation as it comes. Ya gotta embrace and revel in the journey...

John

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks for the report, John.

I can't wait to try the Triton and Typhon. Love all the Shunyata gear I've tried so far.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Typhon & Shunyata

Thanks for the report, John.

I can't wait to try the Triton and Typhon. Love all the Shunyata gear I've tried so far.

Most welcome! I agree with having an affection for all of Shunyata's product I've had the privilege to own. I will try to post some pics of the morass behind the rack. I also meant to ask if there is any one else out there using a Typhon with an AV as it seems everyone has the Triton. I did not completely anticipate the proximity issue due mostly to not realizing the length and stiffness of the umbilical would impact, or I should write, dictate how I have to set it up. It's not a problem really, so I should just quit my whining.

John

wstam

Feb 17, 2013
Just this week I received a Typhon and it was indeed packed with the typical white Power Snakes box that contains what is labeled on the box as the "Typhon Umbilical", without reference to a AHC PC....

Hi, may I know if you purchased the AHC umbilical cord separately or the cord is provided together with the Typhon? My local dealer told me that no cable is provide with Typhon.

Thanks.

Steve Williams

Hi, may I know if you purchased the AHC umbilical cord separately or the cord is provided together with the Typhon? My local dealer told me that no cable is provide with Typhon.

Thanks.

The Typhon recently had a modest increase in price but with that comes the Typhon Umbilical

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
+$1000 to the cost of the Triton. Which begs the questions-conversation:
-This could/should be an option not a requirement.
-Users w/ existing 20 amp Shunyata PC's should try their cords w/ the Typhon. If the new U PC is too short, one might prefer the sonic signature another Shunyata PC or another high quality PC. I heard three in combination w/ my Typhon, including the umbilical, and find the zTron Python PC in a 1.2 M sounds every bit equal to the umbilical my system or maybe better (which was too short for my application anyway.) In fairness the umbilical was not broken in.

After reading on this site, talking w/ dealers and a few emails w/ Shunyata it is clear the one-size-fits-all umbilical may not in practice be a prefect solution in many real world applications.
We all understand the technical & marketing reason behind the new umbilical. It is indeed a complex set of variables that leads up to then Shunyata decision. We respect this but I hope Shunyata too will keep an open and respectful mind as it deals w user concern that may spring up.
On a side note, in my system, the Trition/Typhon/Cyclops trio does indeed sound different after 500+ hours: Better in every aspect of resolution 7 musicality it just gets better.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

From my readings, it was the recommendation of Shunyata that the best quality PC's should be used for the Triton as well as the umbilical from the Typhon to the Triton. What I also recall reading is that the length of the umbilical has been determined to be what it is based on best sonic performance

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Typhon Umbilical

From my readings, it was the recommendation of Shunyata that the best quality PC's should be used for the Triton as well as the umbilical from the Typhon to the Triton. What I also recall reading is that the length of the umbilical has been determined to be what it is based on best sonic performance

This is the same response I received in my conversations with Richard at Shunyata; that the length of the umbilical is key to the ultimate performance of the Typhon.

John

Hydra AV and Typhon_2.jpg

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Typhon on Ultra

John

I'm shocked that your Typhon isn't on Stillpoints

Ahh, but it is on 4 - Ultra SS replacing the rubber feet. You just can't see them in this pic. Notice the USS under the Hydra?

John

Steve Williams

Ahh, but it is on 4 - Ultra SS replacing the rubber feet. You just can't see them in this pic. Notice the USS under the Hydra?

John

nothing short of Ultra 5's under the Typhon John ;)

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Typhon on Ultra SS

nothing short of Ultra 5's under the Typhon John ;)

Many times my bank account says "Oh no you don't", and this is one of those times! I just wish I could speed up the burn-in but I'm getting over that. I will say that Grant's comments about burn-in seem spot-on as what he's written is what I am living right now. After about 3 days, the top end just disappeared but the following day it was completely different. I haven't had the system on since Sunday and expect to listen a little tonight so I am anxious to learn how it will sound this evening.

John

Steve Williams

Many times my bank account says "Oh no you don't", and this is one of those times! I just wish I could speed up the burn-in but I'm getting over that. I will say that Grant's comments about burn-in seem spot-on as what he's written is what I am living right now. After about 3 days, the top end just disappeared but the following day it was completely different. I haven't had the system on since Sunday and expect to listen a little tonight so I am anxious to learn how it will sound this evening.

John

I found the Typhon to require far less burn-in than the Triton

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Hydra AV and Typhon Burn-In

I found the Typhon to require far less burn-in than the Triton

So maybe what I'm hearing has more to do with the AV than the Typhon...

John

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am about to order the Typhon umbilical but I have a little problem... it's going to be shortest and most expensive power cord in my system... I have a problem with that.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I am about to order the Typhon umbilical but I have a little problem... it's going to be shortest and most expensive power cord in my system... I have a problem with that.

In the audiophile major league, this is not a "problem" but a badge of honor. You'll get there - don't worry.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing