Very happy w/ the Shunyata Typhon addition for the Triton......

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
It is great to be able to say w/o hesitation that the addition of the Shunyata Typhon to my Triton is one of the most magical moments in my four decades as a music loving soul. It's real charmer: the Typhon is one push forward towards audio bliss that frankly I did not see coming. For my system & taste it is a mayor step into a new level of music reproduction. All being said from a person who treasures music far above the hobby of collecting esoteric & $$$ gear.
Perhaps everyone may not feel this way because what the Typhon does is hard to quantify w/ words, simple narrative bites & typical audiophile catchphrases.
The synergy is a real shocker: Music is in all regards simply more emotional, nuanced, clear, articulate and spatial in spades. Lush & at the same time powerful. Every recording sounds more interesting in some way & most are frankly more pleasurable to listen to. Space is the name of the game. Timing, tonalities, nuance, expression, emotion & engagement.... on & on.
If I were to remove the Typhon from the system (which I have done for my wife) it is like viewing/hearing the musical event from behind a scrim or sheet of glass: It is for lack of a better word FLAT(er), pale, less organic & less emotionally engaging. A bit like watching someone on film take a walk on a beautiful day instead of walking & experiencing it yourself.

What the Typhon/Triton does:
-A picture window expands floor to ceiling and the glass is pristine....
-The air just got cleaner & cooler like a gentle passing spring front.
-A stone dropped in a placid pond sending ripples to the banks
-Someone whispered from across a room but each word was clear & distinct.
-The back wall of my listening room grew much deeper & the room magically expanded in all directions.
-My emotional core was touched by a passage that I have know for decades but never w/ such resonance....
- Never heard that door slam before or that train pass in the distant background.....or the last, faintest, deepest rumble of thunder miles away...
-A drink of the purest cool water
-Oh... I remember what a nylon string guitar sound like in a small intimate room. Every small detail.....
The list can grow: It becomes a litany of little metaphors that hint at something that is poetic at its core. Poetic and therefore harder to describe. And poetic the Typhon/Triton combo is. In spades!!!

The point I want to make is that the overall effect of adding the Typhon is something I intellectually understood but did not actually expect to be so deeply, dare I say, soulful & rewarding. This the nicest thing I have done for myself & my passions as an audiophile/music lover in decades. Please if you can find a dealer who can let you take one of these home do so. It may turn out to be an expensive early birthday gift but ......it's just magical.
On a side note, my Triton/Typhon combo is hidden out of sight in a built in bookcase. I can not show it off, brag about it or impress anyone other than my self. Just the way I like it!
Thanks GC et all.

Last edited:
Reactions: ozy

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It is great to be able to say w/o hesitation that the addition of the Shunyata Typhon to my Triton is one of the most magical moments in my four decades as a music loving soul. It's real charmer: the Typhon is one push forward towards audio bliss that frankly I did not see coming. For my system & taste it is a mayor step into a new level of music reproduction. All being said from a person who treasures music far above the hobby of collecting esoteric & $$$ gear.
Perhaps everyone may not feel this way because what the Typhon does is hard to quantify w/ words, simple narrative bites & typical audiophile catchphrases.
The synergy is a real shocker: Music is in all regards simply more emotional, nuanced, clear, articulate and spatial in spades. Lush & at the same time powerful. Evert recording sounds more interesting in some way & most are frankly more pleasurable to listen to. Space is the name of the game. Timing, tonalities, nuance, expression, emotion & engagement.... on & on.
If I were to remove the Typhon from the system (which I have done for my wife) it is like viewing/hearing the musical event from behind a scrim or sheet of glass: It is for lack of a better word FLAT(er), pale, less organic & less emotionally engaging. A bit like watching someone on film take a walk on a beautiful day instead of walking & experiencing it yourself.

-The back wall of my listening room grew much deeper & the room magically expanded in all directions.
-My emotional core was touched by a passage that I have know for decades but never w/ such resonance....
- Never heard that door slam before or that train pass in the distant background.....or the last, faintest, deepest rumble of thunder miles away...
-Oh... I remember what a nylon string guitar sound like in a small intimate room. Every small detail.....
The list can grow: It becomes a litany of little metaphors that hint at something that is poetic at its core. Poetic and therefore harder to describe. And poetic the Typhon/Triton combo is. In spades!!!

The point I want to make is that the overall effect of adding the Typhon is something I intellectually understood but did not actually expect to be so deeply, dare I say, soulful & rewarding. This the nicest thing I have done for myself & my passions as an audiophile/music lover in decades. Please if you can find a dealer who can let you take one of these home do so. It may turn out to be an expensive early birthday gift but ......it's just magical.
On a side note, my Triton/Typhon combo is hidden out of sight in a built in bookcase. I can not show it off, brag about it or impress anyone other than my self. Just the way I like it!
Thanks GC et all.

FYI system Rowland 625/Chorus/Aeris Dac w/ Esoteric PO 3 transport running Revel Salon 2's. All Cardas Clear/Clear beyond speaker cable (dual shotgun), Cradas Clear IC, Audience AU24 SE IC, Audience au24e & SE power cords & the new Shunyata Tron Python power cord to the rowland amp.
The room is much like a small church, 28x55 w/ 12' ceilings that slope up to 19'. A great acoustic space that plays music w/ aplomb.

Mark

Welcome to the lunatic fringe. I have three Typhons and one Triton and like you it was a revelation. I can never listen to my system again without these Shunyata products. A true game changer.

Reactions: ozy

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Well said and well written. Now if I could only catch up to Steve by adding 2 more typhons to my system!

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
Yes a fringe it is! It's ironic for me to be singing the praises of something I do not fully understand in absolute empirical terms (as the lifelong doubter that I am.) What I hear w/ my ears is another story & I will stick to it.
Just this am on a music sorting & cataloging mission, I heard discs that are 30 years old and seldom listened to but utterly new to my ears via the ShunyataTT team. Also what I had assumed was a nasty recording turned out to be great one now that the piano is presented w/ so much clarity & grace. Its going to be worth the $$ Shunyata expense as the collection gets a new life.
Enjoy all.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yes a fringe it is! It's ironic for me to be singing the praises of something I do not fully understand in absolute empirical terms (as the lifelong doubter that I am.) What I hear w/ my ears is another story & I will stick to it.
Just this am on a music sorting & cataloging mission, I heard discs that are 30 years old and seldom listened to but utterly new to my ears via the ShunyataTT team. Also what I had assumed was a nasty recording turned out to be great one now that the piano is presented w/ so much clarity & grace. Its going to be worth the $$ Shunyata expense as the collection gets a new life.
Enjoy all.

your description of what you heard is virtually identical to what I said about the Typhon as well

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If one is even tempted to go down this route someday, do you have to change all your power cables as well...or do you get a lot of mileage just by taking out your existing power conditioner and replacing it with the 2 main units, Typhon/Triton? Thanks for any advice. The other important question is whether Shunyata offer UK plug outlets.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
The synergy is a real shocker: Music is in all regards simply more emotional, nuanced, clear, articulate and spatial in spades. Lush & at the same time powerful. Every recording sounds more interesting in some way & most are frankly more pleasurable to listen to. Space is the name of the game. Timing, tonalities, nuance, expression, emotion & engagement.... on & on.

Thanks GC et all.

FYI system Rowland 625/Chorus/Aeris Dac w/ Esoteric PO 3 transport running Revel Salon 2's. All Cardas Clear/Clear beyond speaker cable (dual shotgun), Cradas Clear IC, Audience AU24 SE IC, Audience au24e & SE power cords & the new Shunyata Tron Python power cord to the rowland amp.
The room is much like a small church, 28x55 w/ 12' ceilings that slope up to 19'. A great acoustic space that plays music w/ aplomb.

Mark
Mark, thanks for your wonderful comments on the Typhon. I have a Triton and have been seriously thinking about adding a Typhon as recently as TODAY. While I know Steve well and have heard endless positive comments about the impact of the Typhon, hearing it from a musician is even more valuable, since clearly you listen for different aspects of sound that you have described beautifully. Since last March when I inserted my first Shunyata products into system, I have bought so many Shunyata products that Caelin is now able to drive a very nice car merely on what I have spent. Each piece has added to the totality in ways that create weird looks in those who have not experienced the Shunyata effect. That Caelin told me that he believes that the Typhon is he single best product that Shunyata has ever made (and I know the impact of the others I own and have owned), your comments just convinced me to make the Typhon jump and now Caelin can by a cabrio instead of a coupe.

Russ

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
Russ- I think you might just love it. I got it home, set it up as if I were going to keep it forever. I had to do some cabinet drilling & mods to put it side by side w/ the Triton. Plugged it in and went out for a 4 hour gallery opening, Got home and...........it just was magical! We listened until 2 am. Beyond a doubt it is remarkable.
Having said this I realize I am one who listens to a very diverse range of music & love the TT combo in particular because it actually sounds like real instruments w/ decay, ambient information and spatial information. The soundstage is simply huge & only limited by the recording itself and the space of one's listening room. My space is a perfect venue to show off the TT combo so I love love it!
A word about bass/LF abilities: The TT combo can reproduce very low level info that is almost scary in it's presence. Our audiophile cat, a japanese bobtail who has huge ears was perplexed as she tracked spatial clues in a constant 360 degree motion.
You must have a birthday coming up!!!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thanks for the comments on the Typhon, Mark!

My next upgrade will definitely be a Shunyata Triton, also because it is only a matter of time before my 23 year old (!) mighty Tice Power Block II dies. I know firsthand how important removal of electronic noise from a system is. The difference between my Berkeley DAC straight out of the wall or through my Tice power conditioner is huge -- that it is a gamechanger is an understatement -- and the recent addition of external BorderPatrol power supplies for my amps has again shown how crucial the removal of electronic noise from a system is (as stated in the opening post for the Typhon, it indeed influences the retrieval of spatial information to an enormous extent, see also my review of the power supplies linked in my signature).

After the Triton I may well go for the Typhon as well, before I think of any other upgrade to my system. At Goodwin's High End where I buy my components they say that so far every single customer who has tried the Typhon at home has bought one.

Speaking about Shunyata and the removal of electronic noise: everyone here should treat themselves to Shunyata Dark Field v2 Cable Elevators, no kidding, even though it may sound like magic. Much blacker background for my music and better exposure of low-level detail since I inserted them under my speaker cables. An upgrade worth several grand to me for just -- $ 175 (for the six-piece pack). At that price you can't go wrong for trying.

The removal of acoustic noise (through room treatment) and of electronic noise should be the foundation of any serious system. Everything else is secondary.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the comments on the Typhon, Mark!

...After the Triton I may well go for the Typhon as well, before I think of any other upgrade to my system. At Goodwin's High End where I buy my components they say that so far every single customer who has tried the Typhon at home has bought one...

[Sigh]...I hate when that happens...

...ok, not really...its actually pretty cool. ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If one is even tempted to go down this route someday, do you have to change all your power cables as well...or do you get a lot of mileage just by taking out your existing power conditioner and replacing it with the 2 main units, Typhon/Triton? Thanks for any advice. The other important question is whether Shunyata offer UK plug outlets.

Lloyd,

We should consider getting the Triton with US outlets - I have noticed that the US versions of the power cables are usually cheaper than the Shucko ones. As far as I know the cables all over the world are the same, the differences are just the plugs. Perhaps Caelin can comment on this subject?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Lloyd,

We should consider getting the Triton with US outlets - I have noticed that the US versions of the power cables are usually cheaper than the Shucko ones. As far as I know the cables all over the world are the same, the differences are just the plugs. Perhaps Caelin can comment on this subject?

All EU CEE7/7 connectors must be imported from Germany to the US with attendant government fees applied plus shipping which is no longer insignificant. Additionally, the internal construction of EU Hydras is more complicated than US versions. The EU outlets are single and not duplexed so the distribution busses are more complicated and more expensive to produce. For these reasons all EU Hydras are more expensive to produce and have a higher retail price.

Then there is the matter of high-end marketing and pricing models. Many manufacturers of cables and accessories engage in an "universal pricing" scheme. The way this works is that the retail price of the products are artificially raised in the company's home marketplace. This allows the manufacturer to give distributors a smaller wholesale cost so that the distributor can add their profit margins, customs, VAT and other fees and still have a retail price that is roughly equivalent to the home market retail price. This also allows manufacturers to give their "best" dealers in the home market special incentives and discounts as much as 70% below retail prices. This is why many cable products are severly discounted and the resale prices are so miserably low when you decide to sell.

We do not follow this practice. Our products have the same discounts as do manufacturers of speakers and amplifiers. This means that it is more difficult for us to find good dealers because they don't get the same profits as some other brands. This is why you don't see big discounts on Shunyata products - the dealers don't have the margins to give it away. Most of our dealers carry the product because they believe in the product and want to provide good value to their customers. This is also part of the reason that our products have such good resale value.

For our international customers this means that you will actually pay higher prices than in the US because the real costs of government's fees and taxes are added in addition to the distributors markup. One other thing to understand is that many people in Europe look at the US retail price and don't realize that state taxes are added to the stated retail price at the time of purchase unlike in Europe where the VAT is part of the retail prices. You are still liable for VAT, shipping and customs if you import a US unit. And you do not have the support of a local dealer and distributor in the event something goes wrong. Additionally if you buy a US version it is a 120VAC unit and it would have to be converted. Virtually every part except the outlets and inlet are custom made by Shunyata Research. It usually doesn't go well when a third party service agency tries to work on our products.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
All EU CEE7/7 connectors must be imported from Germany to the US with attendant government fees applied plus shipping which is no longer insignificant. Additionally, the internal construction of EU Hydras is more complicated than US versions. The EU outlets are single and not duplexed so the distribution busses are more complicated and more expensive to produce. For these reasons all EU Hydras are more expensive to produce and have a higher retail price.

Then there is the matter of high-end marketing and pricing models. Many manufacturers of cables and accessories engage in an "universal pricing" scheme. The way this works is that the retail price of the products are artificially raised in the company's home marketplace. This allows the manufacturer to give distributors a smaller wholesale cost so that the distributor can add their profit margins, customs, VAT and other fees and still have a retail price that is roughly equivalent to the home market retail price. This also allows manufacturers to give their "best" dealers in the home market special incentives and discounts as much as 70% below retail prices. This is why many cable products are severly discounted and the resale prices are so miserably low when you decide to sell.

We do not follow this practice. Our products have the same discounts as do manufacturers of speakers and amplifiers. This means that it is more difficult for us to find good dealers because they don't get the same profits as some other brands. This is why you don't see big discounts on Shunyata products - the dealers don't have the margins to give it away. Most of our dealers carry the product because they believe in the product and want to provide good value to their customers. This is also part of the reason that our products have such good resale value.

For our international customers this means that you will actually pay higher prices than in the US because the real costs of government's fees and taxes are added in addition to the distributors markup. One other thing to understand is that many people in Europe look at the US retail price and don't realize that state taxes are added to the stated retail price at the time of purchase unlike in Europe where the VAT is part of the retail prices. You are still liable for VAT, shipping and customs if you import a US unit. And you do not have the support of a local dealer and distributor in the event something goes wrong. Additionally if you buy a US version it is a 120VAC unit and it would have to be converted. Virtually every part except the outlets and inlet are custom made by Shunyata Research. It usually doesn't go well when a third party service agency tries to work on our products.

Thanks for such a detailed answer . I already knew about the reason for european prices - our local VAT is 23%, my current Shunyata power system is all Shucko. My question was not about cannibalizing Shunyata products, but if a complete US system, including all power cables could be used with 230/240V.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Thanks for such a detailed answer . I already knew about the reason for european prices - our local VAT is 23%, my current Shunyata power system is all Shucko. My question was not about cannibalizing Shunyata products, but if a complete US system, including all power cables could be used with 230/240V.

Some people in the UK use the EU version of the Hydra since we don't make a UK outlet version.

A US version of the Hydra will work in Europe since it has a dual pole electromagnetic breaker. But the US Hydra must be ordered as a 240VAC version.

JFYI, Of all the different world outlets I consider the German Schuko to be the best designed.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Some people in the UK use the EU version of the Hydra since we don't make a UK outlet version.

A US version of the Hydra will work in Europe since it has a dual pole electromagnetic breaker. But the US Hydra must be ordered as a 240VAC version.

JFYI, Of all the different world outlets I consider the German Schuko to be the best designed.

Thanks again, the UK question was the reason of my emails - LL21 lives in the UK. BTW, US people usually do not know that Schuko is a nick for schutzkontakt - protective contact - as this type of power connector has double ground clip.

jax4736

Jan 27, 2014
I'm happy to read this feedback on the Typhon. I have one on order, and will add it to a Triton I recently purchased. I remember hearing the Triton+Typhon pair last year at my dealer; back then it was very impressive.

I've not seen much online about the new configuration on the Typhon. Apparently, it's being sold with a power cord now (the AHC), so you don't have to buy the extra cord now. The price was $5995 when I ordered mine. Apparently also, the Typhon port has been eliminated on the current versions of the Hydra. Supposedly, the Typhon works best when using one of the Hydra's 8 outlets (being on the same buss system). Perhaps Caelin could elaborate further, I'm curious about the performance differences between the Typhon port vs one of the Hydra's outlets.

Maybe one day I'll mimic Steve Williamas configuration and add a Typhon to my stereo amp's power duplex. For now, Triton+Typhon will power my sources, and my amp remains with an Anaconda PC plus a Defender.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I've not seen much online about the new configuration on the Typhon. Apparently, it's being sold with a power cord now (the AHC), so you don't have to buy the extra cord now. The price was $5995 when I ordered mine.

Thanks. I just checked The Cable Company's site, and it is as you described. There are no Anaconda or Python umbilicals for sale. So, while the previous price was $5K for a Typhon and $2K for an Anaconda umbilical, the combined price is $1K less. As long as the performance is equal, I can live with saving $1K.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
I'm happy to read this feedback on the Typhon. I have one on order, and will add it to a Triton I recently purchased. I remember hearing the Triton+Typhon pair last year at my dealer; back then it was very impressive.

I've not seen much online about the new configuration on the Typhon. Apparently, it's being sold with a power cord now (the AHC), so you don't have to buy the extra cord now. The price was $5995 when I ordered mine. Apparently also, the Typhon port has been eliminated on the current versions of the Hydra. Supposedly, the Typhon works best when using one of the Hydra's 8 outlets (being on the same buss system). Perhaps Caelin could elaborate further, I'm curious about the performance differences between the Typhon port vs one of the Hydra's outlets.

Maybe one day I'll mimic Steve Williamas configuration and add a Typhon to my stereo amp's power duplex. For now, Triton+Typhon will power my sources, and my amp remains with an Anaconda PC plus a Defender.

Hi Jax,

Because the Typhon is a separate box and functions in parallel to the Triton, it relies completely on the quality of its connection to the Triton to convey the substance of its performance. The shared electrical signal between the Triton and Typhon is very weak, making both connections and the length of the connecting umbilical important to its function. For that reason, we keep the umbilical at one-meter and no longer. This also explains why evaluating the Typhon cannot be done with quick ins and outs. Once connected to the Triton, it can take up to an hour for the Typhon's addition to become evident. Once the effect becomes apparent however, it is unmistakeable. Removing the Typhon after using it for a few hours or days is the most telling form of evaluation

The Typhon port on the Triton was put there for convenience only. The port has to connect to the buss on the back of the outlets via a short run of wiring. This adds two additional connection points and an IEC to what otherwise would be a direct connection to the Triton's buss structure.

After some consideration, we decided it would be better to use a small outboard strip if needed for additional components rather than sacrifice performance from such an expensive addition to the Triton. Most systems have no more than 5-7 critical performance related components, so using a quality strip for electronics such as cable-boxes, routers etc makes more sense then using a port for the Typhon.

I hope this helps explain the reason for no longer producing units with the port.

Best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
There seems to be a 15amp and 20 amp option , any reason why this is being offered ? Is any one superior to the other , Thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing