PS Audio Perfectwave AC3

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
http://www.psaudio.com/shop/ac3-power-cable/

"The AC3 is a 12 gauge cable constructed with OFC copper in multiple gauges and shapes. Inside the AC3 is one OFC hollow conductor for the treble region, a large OFC rectangular conductor for the midrange and multiple gauges of OFC bundled together for the bass. Equipment powered with an AC3 enjoy a significant improvement in sound quality over any stock power cable."

Cable cross-section at the above page.

It appears well made, and the price is reasonable considering its complexity.

I realise many people here will argue that their claims for different frequencies preferentially travelling down different conductors have little significant scientific basis. Put that aside for the moment. Assume that their claims are true. If they are, can you see why this cable will potentially sound worse than "any stock power cable"?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have a few AC10 and AC12 power cords, 8 in total. They are well constructed and seemingly should be adequate. After moving to Nordost Valhalla and Odin, only then did a realize what a difference PC's can make. I found the PS Audio's to be rather dark sounding in comparison to my new cables in my system. YMMV. For the money, I think they are a good value. My cables cannot be described as a good value in the grand scheme of things..lol

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011

"The AC3 is a 12 gauge cable constructed with OFC copper in multiple gauges and shapes. Inside the AC3 is one OFC hollow conductor for the treble region, a large OFC rectangular conductor for the midrange and multiple gauges of OFC bundled together for the bass. Equipment powered with an AC3 enjoy a significant improvement in sound quality over any stock power cable."

I guess PS Audio wrote that on 1st April. Here's a manufacturer producing allegedly SOTA mains regenerators suggesting that the lead to or from the regenerator - if it is one of their AC series rather that a stock lead with good connectors - has that impact on treble, midrange and bass?

When they publish statistically significant data to prove this from double blind listening tests I will eat my words - but I think I will be waiting forever. It should be easy for them given that the differences are significant.

I'm a PS Audio owner so I have no axe to grind. Marketing gone mad.

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
I agree the marketing hype makes no sense. To answer the question, I see no reason why it would sound worse than a stock cable.

The primary task of a power cable is to carry "bass" (50 or 60 Hz) signal efficiently, and preferably attenuate any higher frequencies. A cable that does a better job than a standard cable of passing power line disturbances and interference into one's equipment can therefore be considered to perform worse than a standard cable.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
If you already know the answer why post this thread?

Conflating audio signals with the signal from the wall outlet I find confusing at best and at worst disingenuous. Note current bandwidth can be much higher than the power line frequency (which ideally limits voltage bandwidth), not sure how that plays into your analysis. Without knowing more details about the cable it's difficult to say what the impedance profile is over frequency and whether it addresses your concerns. At audio frequencies I would expect the vast majority of current to flow through the wires with the lowest resistance. Unless there is added filtering I do not see how the "bass" conductors would not also carry "treble" signals. Whatever the heck that means in a power cord...

One would hope the equipment includes power filtering or provides a power cable to do the job if not.

Is there a return policy? If you try the cable and it improves your system, done deal. If not, ship it back.

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
... Conflating audio signals with the signal from the wall outlet I find confusing at best and at worst disingenuous. ...

Indeed. It's a particularly clear example of marketing snake oil. As for my asking the question when I know the answer, I was hoping others would apply the same thought process and come to the same conclusion.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have a few AC10 and AC12 power cords, 8 in total. They are well constructed and seemingly should be adequate. After moving to Nordost Valhalla and Odin, only then did a realize what a difference PC's can make. I found the PS Audio's to be rather dark sounding in comparison to my new cables in my system. YMMV. For the money, I think they are a good value. My cables cannot be described as a good value in the grand scheme of things..lol

I too have found PS Audio cords to be a bit dark sounding. Well made though.

allhifi

Jun 19, 2016
Plenty of ...

I agree the marketing hype makes no sense. To answer the question, I see no reason why it would sound worse than a stock cable.

Well, there's plenty of reasons How it (not PS specifically) can sound worse -as any listening evaluation can attest.

Why, is another story. But, I'm working on it. It's been said before that PS cables sound "dark", "bassy" -hardly adjectives that conjure up revealing transparency.

Early PS PC's were plain awful -"thick", "bass-heavy", simply crappy. So bad in fact that the brand was never again considered. I see things have not changed -folks continue referring a 'dark' character. And we have to pay for those blatant colorations -and considerable sums ?

PC's can have an astonishing impact on SQ -simply try different "throw-in" cables (#18/16/14 awg) and discover this for yourself. Also note, what sounds best (clearest/cleanest -actually listen to the music and not "the bass", or treble etc.)

You very well may discover some punishing truths.

pj

mrlemon

Dec 6, 2017
Toronto, Canada

Cable cross-section at the above page.

It appears well made, and the price is reasonable considering its complexity.

I realise many people here will argue that their claims for different frequencies preferentially travelling down different conductors have little significant scientific basis. Put that aside for the moment. Assume that their claims are true. If they are, can you see why this cable will potentially sound worse than "any stock power cable"?

The claims probably have some basis in reality, but meaning can change when you are doing promotional material for the non technical.

That being said, I have an older AC 10, and I to find it dark. In general i found it to be very good, but the idea a touch of wooliness comes to mind. I still use it in my computer room with a Vecteur I-4 and I don't really notice the darkness.

Comparing to my go to shielded cable with ERS covering inside, the PS Audio is a little dark.

The most interesting though, is that I made a cable using 12gauge belden shielded wire with quality connectors, and for the $80 i spent, it is as good as most cables I've tried.

Actually, Take Five Audio has the sheilded belden cables, and at least for power amps/pre-amps and maybe DACS, these are really good for less the $100.

TOM...

allhifi

Jun 19, 2016
Yes.

The claims probably have some basis in reality, but meaning can change when you are doing promotional material for the non technical.

That being said, I have an older AC 10, and I to find it dark. In general i found it to be very good, but the idea a touch of wooliness comes to mind. I still use it in my computer room with a Vecteur I-4 and I don't really notice the darkness.

Comparing to my go to shielded cable with ERS covering inside, the PS Audio is a little dark.

The most interesting though, is that I made a cable using 12gauge belden shielded wire with quality connectors, and for the $80 i spent, it is as good as most cables I've tried.

Actually, Take Five Audio has the sheilded belden cables, and at least for power amps/pre-amps and maybe DACS, these are really good for less the $100.

TOM...

For sure Tom: Some creative power cord builds can prove most interesting. The need for "pure" metals (for PC's) to my mind, is the last thing to fret over. Signal carrying cables are an entirely different matter.

Cable construction and connector quality are imperative.

pj

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing