Stillpoints/Symposium Acoustics etc. isolation for tts

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi WBF'ers, just a little q re tt isolation. It seems that Stillpoints are a big fave of many here, whether Minis, SS's or Ultra5's. Personally I'm getting great results with my Symposium Acoustics Isis rack and Rollerblocks isolation. Now this is all great when you have one fixed component, whether a pre amp/power amp/cdp/or even maybe spkrs. But what happens when one has a non suspended tt with a SEPARATE motor pod?
In effect, if I was to install Stillpoints etc under my analog rig, I'd place one each under the 3 feet, and 3 in a group under my motor pod. But since the vibrations in the pod are going to vary from the vibrations in the tt/platter, what will happen at the interface of motor and platter (in my direct rim drive tt, a delrin wheel, or a belt in most other tts).
Even if the solution is advantageous in both seperate components, would discontinuity be present at the motor-platter interface, and hence defeat the whole purpose? If so, does this mean that a tt w/separate motor pod is the one audio device that individual isolation can't easily be recommended?

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
One easy solution would be to put both the motor and the platter units on a board/platform then put the vibration control under the platform. ANother solution would be to suspend the entire rack/platform the equipment is standing on.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Beaur, currently each self of the Isis rack has magnetic isolation, so this is already being achieved. It's just that one can then isolate components individually, to gain a second layer of isolation. Just wondering if it's counterproductive w/tt-separate motor. I know Symposium sort of instruct what you suggest, in effect isolating a second time with an isolated sub shelf, maybe Ultra or Quantum, this on Rollerblocks, onto the main top shelf which is already isolated.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Given that you are using a rim drive table with a separate pod, I would be very hesitant to put any footers other than those provided by Trans Fi. IMO it would be counterproductive. If just one of the aftermarket footers in the motor pod is off, so will your rim/platter contact. JMHO.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Wise words, Jack.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tima, thanx for your input - what I'm concerned about is poss discontinuity at the drivewheel-platter interface if there is any microvariation btwn isolation helping motor pod and isolation helping tt. Your Verus motor pod is similar in operation to my Trans Fi motor pod, so your positive comments will get me considering. One issue I have is that Vic the designer has a half centimetre depth sorbothane pad bonded to the base of the motor to prevent motor vibrations getting to the tt/platter, and this would have to be removed to allow full contact of isolation devices. But this will then alter the relationship of the drivewheel to the platter, so I'd have to raise the isolation devices a half centimetre. Seems like a fussy set of obstacles that may not bear fruit.
Can you give me some details on your experience/history w/Rollerblocks. I run an Isis rack, and feel I'd get most by not mixing technologies, but I could be wrong. It seems like you've moved from Symposium to Stillpoints. Also I just can't justify stretching to the cost of Ultra5s, but Rollerblocks prices equate approx to Ultra SSs.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tima, v.grateful for your insights. I have a similar physical set up to you, but a little more fussy in day to day use. I only have a half centimetre band on the platter for the drive wheel to engage and at present the wheel is near the bottom of the band, and I'll be in effect dropping the motor pod a centimetre in removing the sorbothane, leading to a mismatch in drivewheel contact. So I'd have to have a mini tier to put motor pod on. And if I'm going to go down this route, I'm going to isolate plinth AND motor. Further ergonomic consideration, obv.
Re Stillpoints v Rollerblocks, an interesting conclusion from you. Since the UltraSS's and Rollerblocks2's are comparable in price, I have a good relationship w/Symposium, and my current audio dealer is a Stllpoints guy, I've got the perfect opportunity to arrange possible a-b's. My only thought is that there is likely to be a system/engineering synergy going all-Symposium, rather than mixing isolation techs. And I refuse to listen to Ultra5s to prevent me going bankrupt :eek: (my system could support 40-50 of the pesky critters!).

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi Sprint !

I've owned a lot of Symposium products in the past. A few Ultra Shelves, a few roller blocks. I felt like the Shelves are mostly EXCELLENT with everything. The Rollerblocks ever so slightly enhanced the upper frequencies for me and my equipment...these rollerblocks also lowered the noise floor and really helped out the details. The Rollerblocks seem the loose this high frequency change when used with their shelves (like your Isis rack...)

Isn't the point of the Symposium technology to couple the equipment to the shelves? And Stillpoints is a de-coupling device? Not sure about mixing and trying to match these two approaches. To you last post...I think I you maybe best sticking with the path your on....

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I v.much tend to agree w/you J. Love my Isis rack and am confident Rollerblocks will be complementary. Btw, RWA batt psu continues to transform my Straingauge cart.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Stillpoints and TT

If I were to experiment I'd try the Stillpoints under the TT first and check those results before looking at the motor pod. Is it possible to place them directly under the plinth rather than under the feet? I suspect the Stillpoints would work best in direct contact with the plinth. How much play to you have in the height of the motor-pod to the platter - does it work exactly in one spot or do you have a bit of room? My Teres platter is fairly tall so I haven't had a problem changing the drive wheel height. And I'm using no vibration control under the motor pod.

Our experience tells us the promise for optimum performance will be in directly replacing the OEM feet attaching Stillpoints. Attaching allows for a space between the Stillpoints product and the plinth and this configuration has, in my experience, always worked better than having those 2 surfaces touch.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Thanks John. That's useful info. If the OEM feet cannot be removed, do you suggest Stillpoints under those or under the plinth? (So many different configurations to try!)

Experimenting is good, but testing some configurations become "putting a square peg in a round hole"; basically impractical. I believe the plinth is the best solution as I ran that way with my VPI until I did some research and found they use 1/4-20 so all I needed was a set screw instead of an adapter in order to attach. I achieved better performance replacing the existing feet, in this instance, and leveling is a breeze and stays where you put it.

Somewhere in all the R Gregory reviews on The Audio Beat website, I believe, is a statement that he placed 6 - Ultra 5s under his plinth to very good effect. I believe this was under a VPI as well. Seems a leveling/even weight nightmare, but I suppose it could be done. I was always curious as to why he did it that way as opposed to replacing the OEM feet but was never able to ask him. It would have been instructive had he tried it both ways and reported the results.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing