SoTM mini-server sMS-100

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Now that I've settled on the TotalDAC D1-Dual, the next step is to optimize the usb feed.
I found the USB from JRiver on my w7 laptop was a big improvement over the spdif/coax output of my logitech Touch.
However, I don't want to give up my logitech media server or the apps i use over wifi to choose my music.

I started looking at CAPS v3 on computer audiophile and saw the SoTM usb card, with battery power, was a key component to getting better sound, but since I hate M$ software almost as much as Apple products, I don't want windows anywhere near my audio system.
Googling around search terms like 'caps v3' and 'linux' and I stumbled on the sMS-100, a small linux based music client with USB output, uses the SoTM USB card (apparently), is set up to easily use battery power and runs a squeezelite client so I can use my existing LMS NAS system that resides in my basement.................all my boxes checked off! Basically a headless logitech touch with a high quality usb ouput.

So, rather than rush off and order it tonight (still tempting though), I thought I would query this august group and see if any of you had experience with the SoTM mini-server.

Thanks!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hello Marty.
He is what use I have a CPU win7
And use attached storage by synology
With SS drives inside. In use jriver and j remote
From iPad. It works fine. Now given I can use
The network but also use the USB too
And if you want to really increase the USB interface
By an off ramp 5. Does the new DAC have I2S
Input ?
Al

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Hello Marty.
He is what use I have a CPU win7
And use attached storage by synology
With SS drives inside. In use jriver and j remote
From iPad. It works fine. Now given I can use
The network but also use the USB too
And if you want to really increase the USB interface
By an off ramp 5. Does the new DAC have I2S
Input ?
Al

hi al,

no i2s on the totaldac, but i've seen some very good reviews of the SoTM stuff and the mini-server (which is really a client, not a server) seems like most of what a CAPS v3 would give me, particularly with battery power.........and no comparison in price to offramp 5. the sMS-100 is barely more than the current price for a logitech touch now that they are manufacturer discontinued (i paid $350 for my 2nd one), so this is a no brainer.

t would be nice to compare it with a CAPSv3 with the SoTM usb card that is so highly regarded.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
excellent results with totaldac........going to get battery supply next from Sonore

Nicolas, at hdfever.fr forum, said

"Par contre, l'apport de l'alimentation sur batterie est plus qu'important par apport à l'alimentation fournie d'origine avec le sMS-100. Elle apporte un beau supplément d'image (largeur, profondeur, séparation des plans) avec en plus une forme de quiétude dans la musique (suppression de crispations, de micro duretés..) ce qui la rend fortement recommandable"

Translation to english: get a battery on this puppy!

i'll put listening/details in totaldac thead

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing