How big is your room? W' x L' x H'

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Some recent posts have lead me to a curiosity of the size of some of the rooms used by our members.

With that said, How about letting us know the general size of your room and any additional information you would like to add.

I'll start things off with my room:

Approximate size in feet: 18' W x 43' L x 8' H around 5900-6192 cubic ft

Additional info: Multipurpose rooms with priority towards 2-channel listening. Speakers setup along 18' wall. It also has many open spaces to much larger areas of my home outside of this space.

So how about you?

How would you characterize your room size? small, medium, large?
Approximate size in feet:
Additional info:

Dre

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
7m W x 3.2m H x 11m L

roughly

23ft W x 36 ft L x 10ft H

I characterize it as large. Approximately 230 cubic meters. According to my widget that would be about 8,120 cubic feet
Measurements are slab to slab to slab for acoustic purposes. Secondary walls are built onto the slabs making interior measurements smaller.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Dedicated 2 channel AND HT room. 19.3 feet wide x 22 feet long x 8 feet high. I would have love to have at least a 10 foot ceiling but with appropriate room treatment and DiracLive, it sounds spectacular.

I guess this would be a medium to large room but I have no way to compare (until you finish your poll)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My listening room is simultaneously my office - it is about 33 x 13-15 x 8 feet (9.3 x 3.9-4.5 x 2.4m). I would love to have another 2 feet in wideness. Recently I enlarged a small zone to make it symmetrical. I have two very large tuned membrane bass traps at the front wall to absorb the excessive energy to the length and rigid stone walls.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
My room is about 17.5'W x 34'L x 8 to 11'H

Without doing integral calculus to get the exact volume, it's about 6000 cubic feet, maybe a shade less.

You can see it in my avatar.

My equipment is mostly behind my seating position.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
16' W x 20' L x 7.5' H listening area. The L measurement is actually another 12' but is partitioned off with a 6' opening to the side of my listening position. I use corner bass traps and diffusion on the front wall and full range traps with diffusers behind the listening chair. First reflection points on side walls also have mid/HF traps.

Attachments

• Stereo_Side.jpg
    Stereo_Side.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 1,579
Last edited:

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS

I don't really know the actual size of my room. The main listening/seating area is ~13x20, BUT it's open to the rest of the house on its right, so I'm essentially energizing an enormous space. With my speakers and their positioning, I can get fairly strong bass at my seating position, but only down to ~30Hz. That's why I have a sub. Once the windows are open, everything changes and not for the better. Right now, though, it sounding pretty decent.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Mine is medium (I guess), at 7m deep x 5m wide x 2.6m tall (23 x 16.5 x 8.5).
I tend to place everything in the center of the room, leaving around 2m in the back of the speakers, and another 2m behind me.

alexandre

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Pleasanton: 19x13.5 ft, ceiling trapezoid 9 feet to about 16 feet high, dog leg at entry about another 8x10ft in the high ceiling part.

Santa Cruz: 11x10 ft with closet on side trapezoid ceiling from about 9 to 12 feet.

Santa Cruz room sounds quite good, by the way.

Last edited:

Shum3s

Mar 9, 2011
First post, long time reader. My room is 12.6 x 29 with a L shape 10' behind the listing chair that is 9x10. Heavily treated for HF 1st reflection and for back wave absorption for dipoles, with additional diffusion on front wall and back wall. Speakers set up on short wall firing down the length of the room. I have over 20 bass panels placed through out the room to deal with the LF due to a concrete floor and double walls built outward to help deal with room nodes. The ceiling slants from 11' to 7.6 feet from left to right. This room is separate from the house, it was originally a chicken house that I converted into a dedicated audio room.

The Magnapan 1.7 measures down to 35 hertz flat with a -8 dip at 200. Sounds great to my ears; rarely need the sub.
For years I struggled with getting great music playing in a domestic environment but never archiving any satisfaction with every upgrade. The system I have now cost only a fraction, yet there is no comparison to what I have in this dedicated room. This is why I believe the room is the most important component in any satisfying system.

I will try to post a pic although the pic is low quality, taken with an iPad. Thanks for letting me share about this wonderful passion. Sam

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 613

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Stereo room
Outer dimensions: 26' x 18' x 12.5'
Inner dimensions: 22' x 14' x 10'

Surround room
Outer dimensions: 24' x 18' x 12.5
Inner dimensions: 20' x 14' x 10'

Purpose built rooms

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
My room is 24 L x 12 W x 9 H (there is a slight protrusion of the room on one side which gives slightly more width around the speaker position there). I'd like a bit more width, but I do not plan to move anymore. In my situation I will probably keep my high-quality minimonitors plus subwoofer, a speaker set-up that has its own distinct advantages and that I have loved for many years now.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
9"
Oops, thought you asked a different question.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
9"
Oops, thought you asked a different question.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Peter,

I'm not sure how to respond to that one. So I'll just say it is a really small setup you got there. I'm not sure your stuff can boogie!! :D:D

Sooo, How about some real numbers?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have stated the dimensions of my room numerous times on this forum as well as sharing pictures and videos of my room for all to see and some to ridicule.

15' W x 23' L x 9' H with an "L" shape at the listening end of the room that adds another 4' to the width. I would consider it a medium sized room, but then it's all relative I guess. If you live in a Charles Mansion, this might be a puny room by your standards. If your current listening room is the size of a broom closet, than my room would seem pretty big.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think Steve W.'s room qualifies as "medium" rather than "small"

Mine is 23' x 14' with a sloping ceiling like Shum3s above, going from 9' to 12'. There's also a 6.5' x 5' opening (on the 12' sidewall) to the rest of the house.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think Steve's is a nice size room...certainly more 'medium' size than small, IMHO.
Now my room....that's small..10'X11'6" with a vault ceiling going from 9' to 13'. Luckily, it is dedicated room on the ground floor slab with three external walls.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Mine is 31'x19'x8'. The low ceiling is something I would like to correct, but other priorities always seem to take precedence. Still, it sounds pretty good.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Integrated HT/2ch
17' x 13' x 8'
H/W is at one end of long end, main seating is 9' from there. Room is treated, power too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing