MSB platinum DAC and usb drivers not working

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Ok I have the above DAC , PC win 7 ultimate . The drivers load but no sound . It fails to play bac .

Same issue with foobar and j river. . So what am I doing wrong ?

Help
Al

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Ok I have the above DAC , PC win 7 ultimate . The drivers load but no sound . It fails to play bac .

Same issue with foobar and j river. . So what am I doing wrong ?

Help
Al

Does the DAC see the computer (sample rate will show in DAC display). If not, tryi plugging USB cable in and out. I have has similar problem with Win 7 server.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Good morning and thAnks

The DAC says 0/192.
Windows says it's connected and I have selected it . But no sound
My DAC has all options installed so aux 1 is the usb

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Good morning and thAnks

The DAC says 0/192.
Windows says it's connected and I have selected it . But no sound
My DAC has all options installed so aux 1 is the usb

You are using Jriver I presume? MSB Asio is selected as output device in JRiver? Try playing a different sample rate file (since the DAC shows 192, I presume you are playing a 192 file on the server)?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Yes , I can also say it will not even play a windows sound. It says it failed to play.
Both jriver and foobar say the similar message , it failed to play .

I will have tried uninstall of usb driver and reinstalled. Too
It plays fine over network.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Yes , I can also say it will not even play a windows sound. It says it failed to play.
Both jriver and foobar say the similar message , it failed to play .

I will have tried uninstall of usb driver and reinstalled. Too
It plays fine over network.

Does is also fail to play when you use another output device in Jriver?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Yes it does. I can only windows sounds but j river fAils too

But foobar plays through the hdmi PC monitor fine

Al

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Yes it does. I can only windows sounds but j river fAils too

But foobar plays through the hdmi PC monitor fine

Al

If you have similar problem with other sound devices (not Jriver - other soundcards or DACs), it is not an MSB driver issue.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Yes a agree and it played many times for me before. I had this come up trying to play dsd 128 over USB. Once that happened , I played I tried changing settings and now this. . I am now trying to return all to default .
Al

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Yes a agree and it played many times for me before. I had this come up trying to play dsd 128 over USB. Once that happened , I played I tried changing settings and now this. . I am now trying to return all to default .
Al

Make sure you check the play "DSD over DoP" bx in the MSB Asia sound device options in Jriver. My MSB stopped playing DSD out of the blue, and it turned out this was the problem.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
No it is not there , I kinda remember now. This worked on USB till I installed j remote on my iPad . That is when I could not use the usb anymore. This must have to do with it looking for a network connection to my UMT plus.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It is doing the same thing with a laptop. It's ok till I plug in the USB then it freezes up. I have picked many different
Sound outputs there is about 3 different MSB one,s
Al

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
No it is not there , I kinda remember now. This worked on USB till I installed j remote on my iPad . That is when I could not use the usb anymore. This must have to do with it looking for a network connection to my UMT plus.

What happens when you take the UMT plus off the network?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Good idea but I have done that already by shutting the UMT off. It has its own PSU .

The iPad app works fine too but the jriver freezes as long as the USB is plugged in. So two cpu ,s do the same thing .
I am going to call Vince and ask him. I have been doing this all day for what 5 hours.
Al

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Check is you have the latest USB driver installed and USB input board firmware uploaded.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Ok 5 hours later and after talking to Vince on the phone , he thinks it's the usb module . We should not hot swap usb cables. He said we all do but some get messed up like me. I have to email him and they will send one out and he will talk to me during install. At least it still works all other ways and edorr I found the dsd over dop . It was there but I did not see it. Thanks all so now I will down sample my dsd 128 to listen to it .
And I will try the firmware too thanks
Al

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Ok 5 hours later and after talking to Vince on the phone , he thinks it's the usb module . We should not hot swap usb cables. He said we all do but some get messed up like me. I have to email him and they will send one out and he will talk to me during install. At least it still works all other ways and edorr I found the dsd over dop . It was there but I did not see it. Thanks all so now I will down sample my dsd 128 to listen to it .
And I will try the firmware too thanks
Al

I always hot swap my USB ....

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Yes and I have , Vince it does not happen often and the tech guys are saying no. But none the less I am not the first .
He also is emailing me the firmware as I asked him if I install the new firmware again will it help. He said its worth a try .
it fails at the handshake . When I connect it , the cpu and the DAC react accordingly ,. But when I try to play music it goes through a sequence and then fails .
Al

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing