Laptop recommendations?

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
I'm looking for a laptop with the following specs:

- CPU for Adobe Lightroom & file encoding (i5 minimum, i7 preferred)
- Enough memory for the above (8GB minimum)
- Quality HD display w. touch, support for external 4k display (so a Haswell CPU). Better than HD on the laptop would be nice.
- SSD
- backlit keyboard required
- high quality keyboard
- high quality touchpad
- optical drive not required
- minimum 5 hours of battery life
- Reasonable price
- don't care about weight
- Plan to run Win 8.1

Basically, I can go out and get a top end ultrabook that meets these requirements and pay $2.5k+. However, the very long battery life and weight reduction are not requirements for me and I don't want to pay extra. I've been looking at gaming and office laptops but they seem to fall short in certain areas (battery life for gaming, features for office laptops).

Any recommendations or thoughts?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
In the Windows world, I would highly recommend the Dell Precision series. I have had them, and still use them for 3D modeling and CT scans and they have been and are excellent performers. These would do excellently with photoshop. Take your pick of the options.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m3800-workstation/fs

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing