Gizmodo Visit With Mikey

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Maybe they need the glasses to focus the sound stage.

I won't discount that, but I find anything on my head or face to be a distraction, and my ears tell me where the soundstage is.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Here we go. Now we can add glasses to the debate. If you normally wear glasses and don't take them off when you listen, your system will sound bad. If you take off your glasses while listening and you are having a scotch on the rocks, your system won't sound as bad but you won't realize it because you are drinking. If you reach for your glass of scotch without your glasses, you might misjudge the distance and fall out of your chair and cut yourself on the glass, but it won't matter because your system still won't sound good over the wail of the ambulance siren.

After reading GaryProtein's post about the negative effects of wearing glasses while listening, I've decided to get Lasik surgery, it cost less than Stillpoint Ultra 5s.;-)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
You guys are definitely taking my observation about the two reviewers in question wearing glasses much farther than I meant to convey. I simply meant to express that for me, wearing anything on my face was a distraction when I'm listening to music.

However, for some, it may make it easier for them to read the manufacturer's name on the equipment so they don't feel like they have lost control and are doing a blind test! :p :p :p

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
There was a time an idiotic comment like your would bother me….

I've never seen that many photos of his room. It's pretty interesting.

Reviewing a $350,000 system in that room is like having the opportunity is kiss a super model on the lips and opt for a hug and peck on the cheek instead. What a mess!

Might as well do the review in a hotel room. It wouldn't sound any worse.

Michael.

You've never been here, you have no idea what you are talking about, but you're willing to make a truly dumb and uninformed comment. That is why you are not an experienced audio reviewer and I am. My room has been measured by an acoustician, I've reviewed many of the world's best speakers in my 15x21x8 room and I've gotten excellent measured in-room response measurements. And the Wilson XLFs sound incredible here. Many of the industry's top people have visited and they can back that up. I have a friend with XLFs in a huge room and the sound there is spectacular as well. It's just different. Mine is more of a near field experience. In some ways I prefer his room but in other ways I prefer mine. Yes, my room is cluttered but it's not a show room. It's a working space with gear coming in and going out on a regular basis. And I have a lot of records, which by the way, produce "nearly ideal decay time" according to the acoustician.

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
I'm a man and I can take it especially since at this point I've won.

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
Maybe you'd better listen with your ears instead of your eyes.

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
This is the last thing I'll post here about this thread: I was approached at an event at Stereo Exchange in New York by two young Russian engineers. i was doing a turntable set-up seminar and neither of them owned a turntable. They were there to complain about my room, which of course they'd never heard. "We see bass bump, boom, boom, boom! How do you live with that boomy sound?"

I said to them "Do you really think I would live with boomy bass given what I do for a living? You think I would sit there day after day listening to boomy bass? I HATE boomy bass. I'd rather have NO BASS than boomy bass."

"But the measurements show……"

I cut the guy off and said "Why don't you come over and listen for yourself?"

"You would allow that?

"Of course? What do I have to hide? Come over."

So they did, bringing along a test CD. They looked, they walked around, they played their test CD and they concluded "No boomy bass! It sounds incredible! How can that be?"

I said to them "Because drawing sonic conclusions from measurement is a tricky business".

Then I said "Let me play you some records."

They said "No, we don't like that pops and clicks and hisses."

I said "You're here and you are going to be good guests and listen to some vinyl."

I pulled out the UK DECCA "Porgy and Bess" recorded by Kenneth Wilkinson and when the side was over they were done.

"How can we get that sound? How can that be vinyls? Is that on a CD?"

I said, "yes it is but don't' expect it to sound like that."

A half hour later, they understood what vinyl was all about with no snaps crackles and pops. Those are cereal.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great to read from you here MF. We can only hope you will come more often.

BTW, when you listen to the Trinity DAC, please do not forget to tell us in WBF - most of us really appreciate your experience and writings.

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
Gary, do have the same issue with your glasses when you are at a live music event? I wear glasses myself and find that when I remove them there is a difference in comfort level only. Perhaps new glasses that have lighter frames and lenses may help. I have two pairs, one for distance and the second (much lighter in weight) pair as I read a lot when listening.
Though I do recommend you wear glasses with anti reflective coating. It'll help with nasty room reflections and you'll save a bundle on room treatment. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing