Why every music lover needs to buy a turntable - discuss.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Not my idea, as far as I can recall it's been discussed for years (since about the beginning of the "LP revival")

I missed those discussions other than I knew record companies were aware and paranoid of the fact that people could make 'perfect' copies of digital music. But I never read that they dumbed down the quality of digital in case they did copy the recordings.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Most of your post made sense, but you really missed the boat here. In fact, it's likely there would be no LP revival if it weren't for the non-audiophiles buying LP's.

+1 Who do you think is buying vinyl? It's the young kids? :) And also buying turntables too.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I missed those discussions other than I knew record companies were aware and paranoid of the fact that people could make 'perfect' copies of digital music. But I never read that they dumbed down the quality of digital in case they did copy the recordings.
Not quite what I meant, although now that you mention it that also makes sense in a perverted way (i.e. right up the record companies' alley). No I just meant that a big part of the appeal of selling LP's is the "copy-protection".

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
+1 Who do you think is buying vinyl? It's the young kids? :) And also buying turntables too.
And for the most part looking for sound qualities that are the opposite of high fidelity or "audiophile"...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
And for the most part looking for sound qualities that are the opposite of high fidelity or "audiophile"...

Maybe, maybe not. I'd still say the opposite of what they're hearing with digital. But some of these recordings on vinyl sound pretty good. Ralph Karsten turned me onto a few last year at RMAF :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Standards differ. Whenever I see an analog vs digital debate what I see is one side imposing their standards over the other and vice versa. The aggression is present on both sides too. Heck, the aggression is present in digital vs digital debates, sometimes even more so.

This is the kind of statement that elicits aggression. You and I both know there are people on both sides that do this projection thing. The same accusation can be hurled at digital only advocates.

That's the' kind of statement that elicits truth. And your argument reminds me of people who reduce politics to the "there all the same" argument. They're not. Show me three cases of someone on the digital side of the debate telling a vinylphile that his preference only sounds good to him because his system isn't good enough to reveal the superiority of digital. Show me three in which a vinylphile has been told he can't possibly have heard a good digital front end or he wouldn't prefer what he prefers. Show me one example. I could probably find a half dozen cases of that kind of thing coming from the vinyl side of the debate without leaving the threads that show above the scroll line on my laptop. It's easy; I know exactly whose posts to search. The two sides of this debate are not the same. They're not even close. I'm probably the most vocal defender of digital on this board, and I don't say that kind of dismissive nonsense. And I dont start threads with titles like why digital is better than analog, why everyone should have a server...to discuss the superiority of my preference and invite another circular debate. Look at where those kinds of remarks, those kinds of threads come from, jack. Look at where the fights start; look at where they turn personal.

Tim

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Most of your post made sense, but you really missed the boat here. In fact, it's likely there would be no LP revival if it weren't for the non-audiophiles buying LP's.

That is true. It isn't the audiophile who buys a fully-automatic $1,200 turntable from Thorens. It's the music lover.

The LP revival is driven by "cool" - not whether DSD sounds better than PCM. When mp3's are shared among friends, the whole group buys one copy. When an LP is shared, if my friend also wants a copy, he will have to buy his own. It makes sense to me that the record companies want the LPs to sound better to encourage more sales.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

Not strictly true. One of the young attendees to an event I did in San Francisco told me how cool it was that there was so much "interesting things going on in the bass" that he had never heard in the club or on his headphones. This was in reference to the track Tennis Court by Lorde.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Maybe, maybe not. I'd still say the opposite of what they're hearing with digital. But some of these recordings on vinyl sound pretty good. Ralph Karsten turned me onto a few last year at RMAF :)
I think you know what most of the kids and hipsters say (and I can only assume they mean it); they want their music source to remind they are listening to a "recording", crackles, noise and "warmth". Yes, those qualities are often missing from well made digital recordings, and also missing from live music. Some new groups are even releasing CD's with added in LP "surface noise" (I know, I have had a couple).

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

And what sound qualities would that be in LPs "that are the opposite of high fidelity or audiophile?"

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary,

The best way of avoiding the analog/digital food fight would be putting some weight in the other pan of the balance scale. Do you know of cases where a good mastering could make a CD sound better than the original good quality analog LP? We should avoid the Beatles, otherwise we will have a Beatles fight ...

Not a CD, but downloads. The album "Live at the Happy Dog" - which was funded on Kickstarter - comes with a free high-rez download that sounded better than the vinyl. I guessed that the quality of the pressing was suspect as it was their first attempt. I bought numerous copies, but they all had some distortion.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
And what sound qualities would that be in LPs "that are the opposite of high fidelity or audiophile?"
See the post before yours...

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
Funny thing, it still sounds way better than digital. Give me a call once they figure out a perfect vs the current approximation of analog.... getting it in the ballpark is not enough for me.

That's your experience. Others have had different experiences. There's one thing you should never do:
Play a reference tone track from a test LP. Then play the same tone from a test CD or generated by a program. I assure you that the difference is not subtle. Then realise that the wow, flutter, noise, scrape modulation etc that you hear on the LP version is present in every piece of music you play on that turntable. If it can't get a simple single tone correct, how can it possibly do better on complex signals like music? But as I said, don't do it. It's like learning to recognise the effects of MP3 encoding. Once the illusion is shattered, you'll never be content with it again.

I should point out that I'm not anti-vinyl. I enjoyed state-of-the-art LP equipment when I was young and could afford to spend all my spare income on gear. I still have a few hundred LPs that I'll never part with because they were never re-released on CD. I'm aware of vinyl shortcomings, but I can still enjoy the music.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
That's your experience. Others have had different experiences. There's one thing you should never do:
Play a reference tone track from a test LP. Then play the same tone from a test CD or generated by a program. I assure you that the difference is not subtle. Then realise that the wow, flutter, noise, scrape modulation etc that you hear on the LP version is present in every piece of music you play on that turntable. If it can't get a simple single tone correct, how can it possibly do better on complex signals like music? But as I said, don't do it. It's like learning to recognise the effects of MP3 encoding. Once the illusion is shattered, you'll never be content with it again.

I should point out that I'm not anti-vinyl. I enjoyed state-of-the-art LP equipment when I was young and could afford to spend all my spare income on gear. I still have a few hundred LPs that I'll never part with because they were never re-released on CD. I'm aware of vinyl shortcomings, but I can still enjoy the music.

AS MF says, we already won the war !!! Cheers ! Digital approximations miss the mark with accuracy of timbre especially cymbals, fail to reproduce the natural instrumental space and decay of said instruments and voices. I could care less about test tones and digital specs. digital sounds sterile & dry unless mastered in digital in the first place. That is about 1% of my listening. Each to their own.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Funny thing, it still sounds way better than digital. Give me a call once they figure out a perfect vs the current approximation of analog.... getting it in the ballpark is not enough for me.

why?
Because:

I spent the last week touring and meeting with audio dealers, and I am quite astonished that no one else I met knew this: If you are a music lover, you have to buy a turntable. Why? Because the musician is delivering two different mixes/masters, and the better mix/master is always on the vinyl.

so is it the mix/master or is it the medium ?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
why?
Because:

so is it the mix/master or is it the medium ?

The selected medium influences the decisions made in the creation of the mix/master for that medium.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The selected medium influences the decisions made in the creation of the mix/master for that medium.

That's right. It wasn't so long ago when recording engineers were discussing the amount of compression needed in the master so that the lathe technician wouldn't need to invoke limiters and compression on the amplifiers so that the cutting lathe isn't over-driven. I had a fascinating discussion with Steve McCormack about cutting the direct-to-disk Flamenco Fever and For Duke.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing