Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Why every music lover needs to buy a turntable - discuss.

[WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    It's only a moot point to those who will only listen to digits.
    I only listen to music - not digits.

As for how you skip a song you don't like on vinyl, it's easy. You just get up off your butt and lift the needle over to the next song you want to play.
    Ruins the experience for me - I listen either in a deep meditative state, or play stuff casually in the background while reading. Jumping up is a non starter for me in both scenarios.

Do you mean the fact that it is being done?
    . Yes. I could go on and on, but the short story is that many record companies (or at least the powers that be) have the idea that the only people who care about good sound want the music on LP. Doug Sax alluded to this a few years ago in an interview for TAS where he said he couldn't understand why people would want LP's instead of the 24/192 digital masters he was making the LP's from, but since he is now very gainfully employed doing just that he isn't going to complain too much.

and in fact I can give an even better example of what this focus on vinyl is doing. for Record Store Day 2014 the Grateful Dead are issuing LP's made from cassette masters...

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by edorr View Post
    I only listen to music - not digits.
    Yeah, except your music originates from digits.

Ruins the experience for me - I listen either in a deep meditative state, or play stuff casually in the background while reading. Jumping up is a non starter for me in both scenarios.
    Sounds like you don't really listen to music in the way that audiophiles do. If you are in a deep meditative state, music would be lost in the background of your mind I would think. Playing music while concentrating on reading is just background music that isn't being listened to seriously either.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Moot point. I could never deal with the aggravation of having to walk to a TT and fiddle with large black objects and mechanical contraptions to be able to listen to music. How do you skip a song you don't like?
    No one will say that LP is more convenient - we are debating sound quality. But flat, sterile jazz is something I hate. I am not an expert in this type of music, I must feel the performers emotion, joy and anger!

One of my main insurgences against digital is that the equipment that I have really appreciated is still too expensive, and due to digital obsolescence does not represent good value. Digital audio was supposed to be a leveling technology, fainting the differences between equipment sound quality, and IMHO only made things worst. YMMV.
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's, an Audio Research Anniversary preamplifier, TA OPUS MM2 and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack ...

[WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    No one will say that LP is more convenient - we are debating sound quality. But flat, sterile jazz is something I hate. I am not an expert in this type of music, I must feel the performers emotion, joy and anger!

One of my main insurgences against digital is that the equipment that I have really appreciated is still too expensive, and due to digital obsolescence does not represent good value. Digital audio was supposed to be a leveling technology, fainting the differences between equipment sound quality, and IMHO only made things worst. YMMV.
    May be. My $30K DAC sounds pretty damn good, and it is conceivable you can het similap peformance from a $5K TT. Who knows.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! still-one's Avatar
    Yes, I own one a TT and still dislike everything about owning it.
    Jim
    Speakers:Alexandria X2- Series 2, AMP''s-D'Agostino Momentum mono blocks, Pre-Amp:D'Agostino Momentum Phono Stage Esoteric E-03 Sources :Meridian 808v6 & MC-200, SME 20/3, Cabling/Interconnects:Transparent Opus SC and Interconnects, Power Delivery Shunyata Denali

[WBF Founding Member]
    Sounds like you don't really listen to music in the way that audiophiles do.
    I hope not. This means I would waste my time be obsessing over formats and playback hardware, and start qualify music that is not encoded as a groove cut into a vinyl disc as "listening to digits".

Edorr i was thinking that but would not type it. LMAO.

Al

Interesting. Gary, do you really mean a different mix, or a different master?

Tim
    In high-end audio, you can't even fight an opinion with the facts.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast