Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Why every music lover needs to buy a turntable - discuss.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    This thread will get the digital wonks wanking. I have said numerous times that the love and care that goes into mastering for vinyl seems to be a solid notch above the average care that goes into digital. We routinely seem to get more dynamic range cut into vinyl than what is mixed over for digital.

The Lorde album on vinyl sounds excellent
    The irritating Royal you hear on Samsung adds and ad nausium everywhere else takes on a completely different enjoyable 3d character when the vinyl is spun.
    Great album

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    According to stereophile, Beck's new album, Morning Phase, has a dynamic range value of 6 for the CD and a value of 10 for the vinyl release.
    Regards,
    Steve

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    It is something that bothers me. Although I listen mostly to classical music in digital, I have many hundreds of jazz and rock LPs that sound great. Why almost all attempts to replace them by CDs resulted in an inferior sounding product?
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's, DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and Audio Research REF40 ...

[WBF Founding Member]
    Moot point. I could never deal with the aggravation of having to walk to a TT and fiddle with large black objects and mechanical contraptions to be able to listen to music. How do you skip a song you don't like?

Gary where can people like me that just want digital recordings to deal with get vinyl rips of the albums.

As I can understand what you are saying. And maybe that is key with the analog / digital debate . Once again just getting the best possible recordings to listen to is even more complex. I am not one to point and blame but we spend plenty of money to get the best reproduction we can afford or build. What more can we as a end user group do .

Al

Quote Originally Posted by edorr View Post
    Moot point. I could never deal with the aggravation of having to walk to a TT and fiddle with large black objects and mechanical contraptions to be able to listen to music. How do you skip a song you don't like?
    You should try it. I have little patience for most things, however I find getting up and changing a lp every 20 minutes quite theraputic - the complete opposite to aggravating.
    Skip a song, gee stand up and move the tonearm to the next track, however listening to entire albums is musically rewarding

Ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by edorr View Post
    It's only a moot point to those who will only listen to digits. As for how you skip a song you don't like on vinyl, it's easy. You just get up off your butt and lift the needle over to the next song you want to play.

The whole idea of better mastering (of digital masters no less) for LP is what really pisses me off about the whole LP "revival" thing, but I' ve made that clear in multiple previous posts. Good thing I'm not very interested in today's popular music.

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    The whole idea of better mastering (of digital masters no less) for LP is what really pisses me off about the whole LP "revival" thing, but I' ve made that clear in multiple previous posts. Good thing I'm not very interested in today's popular music.
    Do you mean the fact that it is being done?

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast