What is the wire guage of your speaker cables?

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
I am curious what the wire gauge of your speaker cables are -

Mine are are 10 gauge, and 2 meters long.

I'll be honest. I have no idea why I need such heavy cables. Did you ever see the wiring inside the speaker, it isn't even close to 10 gauge.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
8 gauge Purist Audio Venustas. This cable is the first step in their line to go up to the heavier cable and I wanted it for the high current delivery of my Krell amp.

Lee

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
You guys are going to love this one. Solid core silver cables 24 gauge, 10 ft length. Clear Day Cables, I am not one to spend a lot on speaker cables and I have used most of the lower cost speaker cables (signal cable both copper and silver, speltz anti cables, straightwire maestro, etc,etc) and the Clear Day cables sound the best to me by a wide margin.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
12 AWG'ish now, combination of what I had around and Monster Cable I got cheap when I bought a bunch of stuff from a store a few years ago. I found my old Fulton Golds (anyone remember those? what gauge?) but haven't done anything with them (yet). Silver-plated copper, and at $4/ft incredibly expensive back in the 80's! :)

I'll never fit in with the cable crowd, ears of clay... - Don

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Whatever gauge Blue Jeans Cable puts in their speaker wire for my Dunlavys or for my Catalysts whatever Mark Seaton puts inside the speakers since they are powered speakers!

I still have some speaker wire that was built by PS Audio (when I believed thicker was better and that speaker wire made a difference) that literally must be 1 inch thick of solid stranded copper !!! Not particularly flexible !!

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
Why not 1.5 inch pipe filled with silver cable :)
Held together with silver solder, of course.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I am sorry, Mark, and I mean this in the most friendly way, but -- I looked at your website again, then re-read your "came to my senses" comment, and just started laughing! :D I think we can all relate. - Don

p.s. Silver solder is a pain, doesn't flow well, takes a lot of heat. Don't ask me how I know this. ;)

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
AudioQuest Wild Wood speaker cable: The inside story...

My AudioQuest Wild Woods are 12 conductosr solid silver, 4 conductors solid copper, 9 AWG for both metals.

hifistan

Jul 14, 2016
blind squirrel

I use battery cables, ugly but cheap. Just kidding. I am not a blind squirrel
but still found and married three nuts.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing