ZYX Universe II Review

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

From your review,

"The analog playback system simply sounded dark, sluggish and quite frankly, boring"

And you are 100% right to say that! As I'm sure that you've found out ZYX cartridges are very VTA sensitive and have a very narrow sweet spot. Unlike Ortofons that you can just throw in there and they'll sing you need to find the g spot for the ZYX before it opens up to you; there simply isn't enough time for foreplay at CES to get it right.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
From your review,

"The analog playback system simply sounded dark, sluggish and quite frankly, boring"

And you are 100% right to say that! As I'm sure that you've found out ZYX cartridges are very VTA sensitive and have a very narrow sweet spot. Unlike Ortofons that you can just throw in there and they'll sing you need to find the g spot for the ZYX before it opens up to you; there simply isn't enough time for foreplay at CES to get it right.

david

I've had several people contact me after reading this post and asking me to elaborate on this post thinking that I was somehow knocking the ZYX Universe. To the contrary, I agree with Myles regarding the over all sound of the analog section during part of the show. They kept tweaking and sound changed from dull to harsh to acceptable. He attributed it to the ZYX not being broken in and I was pointing out that there are other factors involved with the dullness he heard at that moment that had nothing to do with the ZYX. I have ZYX cartridges in my systems and I was pointing that only once the setup is correctly ZYX can show its true qualities.

Fact is that for CES or other trade shows a group of manufacturers come gather in a room and put a system together that otherwise might never be. Setup time is very limited and all the manufacturers in the that room had several other rooms to support and set up with very different products. Most of the equipment is brand new without the benefit of any break-in period. Over the three days the sound changes drastically and who knows exactly why or which item is doing what. I was merely pointing out that there are many variables involved and you can't attribute the ills of a system to a single product, specially something like a cartridge which is totally dependent of everything else.

david

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Agreed. I was a little baffled about how the analog sound in that room was localized to the cartridge. Fwiw, the ZYX Uni pictured in the review looks like a different model from the one mounted on the Kronos table in the Lamm room at CES 2013.

I'm not sure about the stock pics supplied by Mehran. But it is indeed the same cartridge; I picked it up at the end of the show and carried it home from CES on the plane.

As far as the sound goes: the cartridge had the same sound in my system that I heard at CES until run in. In particular, the ZYX lacked that cartridge line's trademark "musical involvement" until broken in and dialed. Note:I tried dialing the Universe II in at different points during the break in process.

And I think that many MCs cartridges share that same "sound" until broken in. At first, say from 0-10-15 hrs, they sound pleasant but limited dynamically and frequency extension wise. Then they go through a period from say 15-30 hrs or so where the sound deteriorates; some will even show a little mistracking until broken in. Then the extremes start to open up followed lastly by the dynamics locking in. Break in seems to vary with cartridges; for instance the Transfig importer reckons the new Proteus takes 100 hrs or so to fully settle in.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Myles,

Would you say it is more of a suspension thing rather than a coil thing? That's my take on it. Not that it really matters as they will both run in together.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi Myles,

Would you say it is more of a suspension thing rather than a coil thing? That's my take on it. Not that it really matters as they will both run in together.

A lot has to do with the cartridge and the climate that you're living in. I'm not sure how much of what we think of break-in time is actually fine tuning the arm/cartridge setup. My experience with ZYX is that they're either on or off and you need to find the magic VTA for them to come to life, irrespective of break-in time.

david

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
The photo in the Positive Feedback review is of the Universe 1 with silver coil. The Universe 1 has the same body as the Airy 3.

The Universe II has the same body as the 4D.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing