Eggleston Ivy

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hmmm from what I have heard over 2/3 years in a top end syst , Ivy is tough to drive when it has something like 19 drivers per speaker. Definitely not top end to me ??????. My 2cts worth of opinion.

I believe Dato Han used to drive the big Ivys and has decided he prefers the new 4-tower Gyphon Pendragon...which he wrote about recently in a very detailed review, along with his Vitus Masterpiece Ref amplification.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Yup & I used to have Savoy . Need massive power & tough to get the bass right . However , Ivy mid sounded quite good. Anyway I prefer my Stella & Pendragon a lot more

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Eggleston speakers; most models I agree need lost of power & current to properly drive them but when done right will sound very nice indeed, I prefer their musicality - over all stage performance and top end and lower end over the Focal's.

With the Eggs the stage performers and instruments are just more realistic to me, both speakers layer nicely between the speakers but when it comes to behind each speaker and outside of the speakers the Eggs do this where I have yet to date hear the big Focal's actually do.

Focal Stella also needs allot of power & current, I still to date have not heard a pair set-up that I feel show's what the woofers full capabilities. Focal's - it's nice that they offer flexibility in tuning where as Eggs don't.

There is no perfect speaker - choose your poison and enjoy!

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
eggleston ny.jpg

Ready to enjoy music with new Ivy Signature in the house...:D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow...congrats! Please let us know more about it when you can! Enjoy.

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
Thank you so much, LL21! First impression: The midrange is to die for, voices are close to perfect. And then comes the lower part... I used to have Audio Physic Caldera III with 8 10" woofers. But this is just another story... Ivy's are quite easy to place in my narrow but long room, I was quite surprised abt that. I have the big 1000 W 28B SST2 from Bryston, and they drive them with ease - the VTL tubed pre gives me the warmth i like, but I still get the slam. I actually feel very happy now!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you so much, LL21! First impression: The midrange is to die for, voices are close to perfect. And then comes the lower part... I used to have Audio Physic Caldera III with 8 10" woofers. But this is just another story... Ivy's are quite easy to place in my narrow but long room, I was quite surprised abt that. I have the big 1000 W 28B SST2 from Bryston, and they drive them with ease - the VTL tubed pre gives me the warmth i like, but I still get the slam. I actually feel very happy now!

Yes, i saw the big Brystons...a lot of power! I understand your speakers will really use (and even require) a lot of power. Enjoy.

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
Congratulations. I used to own the Eggleston Rosa, the early version with thick granite sides. I loved the look and the sound was excellent. The midrange and driver integration were outstanding. It was a very natural sounding speaker.

Thanks! I have heard the Eggleston Rosa (late model) and it sounded very good with a VTL amp. The only thing about the Ivy's is the height. I should probably put some bricks under my listening chair to get a bit higher up :)

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)

Woodrand: CONGRATULATIONS!!! The Savoy and Andra I, II and III are great speakers; the IVYs must be amazing. ENJOY!!!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I have a friend with Eggleston Savoys and others with Wilsons XLF and Rockport Arrakis. All on very different sources, amplification and rooms. The Eggs are very detailed, great mid <-> high coherence but somewhat tough bass to manage. They also require gobs of power as others have said. To my ears the Wilsons are more dynamic and effortless but more analytical (sound best with tubes somewhere in the chain IMO). The Rockports have it all. The only downfall (more of a preference) is they are less up front than Wilsons and Eggs more of a "big picture" speaker. Very much generalized so take with a ton of salt.. I recall replacing a tweeter in one of the Eggs, good times... :)

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
Woodrand: CONGRATULATIONS!!! The Savoy and Andra I, II and III are great speakers; the IVYs must be amazing. ENJOY!!!

Thank you so much, SCAudiophile. I am enjoying very much. Ivy's are truly amazing speakers - and they sing especially well when playing jazz, I think. Piano, double bass and drums like in Ray Brown Trio sounds great at my place now.

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
I totally agree that the bass can be somewhat hard to manage, sbo6. Mine are placed quite close to the back wall and in the beginning I had some booming. But some simple acoustric tuning solved the problems. I started off with just a couple of pillows in the corners and problems disappeared. Some of my audiophile friends think my Bryston's are too rough and not an audiophile amp. I think my VTL pre makes them work at their very best, though. They think i should go for the VTL Siegfried mono blocks. But that's gonna cost, for sure...

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Thanks! I have heard the Eggleston Rosa (late model) and it sounded very good with a VTL amp. The only thing about the Ivy's is the height. I should probably put some bricks under my listening chair to get a bit higher up :)

It took me a while to get used to a tall speaker but once I've gotten used to it, I'll never go back. With most of the live music I attend, the band is above me. These tall speakers do the best job imitating the sound stage from a live performance IMO. And of course everyone knows that the Esotar tweeter is one of the best in the world.

Congrats.

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
It took me a while to get used to a tall speaker but once I've gotten used to it, I'll never go back. With most of the live music I attend, the band is above me. These tall speakers do the best job imitating the sound stage from a live performance IMO. And of course everyone knows that the Esotar tweeter is one of the best in the world.

Congrats.

Thank you! Yes, I think I'm on my way getting used to a tall speaker as well. Before I had the Audio Physic's with side mounted woofers, and I definately don't miss that after the Ivy's moved in. And you are certainly right about the sound stage you describe. By the way: Fantastic system and listening room you have!

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

woodrand

Apr 3, 2017
Nice system. How does the VTL phono compare to the Whest ?
VTL is my favourite. After I stuffed it with Telefunken 801S, 802S and 803S, it sounds amazing. All acoustic instruments sound at it's best and the bass is tight. Really wonderful for jazz recordings. I use the Transfiguration pickup on the Whest. The music comes a bit more forward. Strings sound sharper, voices a bit more crisp. Whest/Transfiguration is the rock'n'roll combination. Whest provides an even blacker background than VTL. In sum I think I'll cover nearly all kinds of music.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
VTL is my favourite. After I stuffed it with Telefunken 801S, 802S and 803S, it sounds amazing. All acoustic instruments sound at it's best and the bass is tight. Really wonderful for jazz recordings. I use the Transfiguration pickup on the Whest. The music comes a bit more forward. Strings sound sharper, voices a bit more crisp. Whest/Transfiguration is the rock'n'roll combination. Whest provides an even blacker background than VTL. In sum I think I'll cover nearly all kinds of music.
Yes variety is the spice of life :) Thank you !

Reactions: woodrand

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing