Speakers closer to sidewall?

tboooe

May 11, 2013
My room is rather narrow at only 9" so my speakers are 1.5" from the sidewalls measured from the tweeter. I was wondering if I treat the first reflection points can I then move the speakers closer to the sidewalls? In my narrow room I am always looking for ways to widen the soundstage.

Thank you

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
So you're talking 6' from tweeter to tweeter, right? How about trying a toe-OUT position for them. You'd have to change the treatment placement, but could that be a possible solution?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
For sure, you'll have a null either way. The closer, the higher frequency the null will be. I would get get a mic and measure it in different positions with and without treatments. You may not want to be treating the point of first reflection per se. You may be better off attempting to mitigate the sidewall null. Depending on the frequency, you may need to treat a wider sidewall area to reduce the null. Also, it might be easier to deal with the null at higher frequencies. However, the null amplitude will likely be lower, the closer you get to sidewall. You also may not "hear" the null in exactly the same way it measures. It will take some work on your part to figure out what sounds best and gives the best results. IMO, you will save yourself much time and pain if you work through this with a mic.
Michael.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hello Tboooe and welcome. Since you are using SF GE's, I do believe that bringing the speaker's closer to the side wall may in fact have the opposite result to what you are looking for. The SF G's really like to have some space around them to perform their best, at least IME.
OTOH, what you may consider, and I think I have discussed this before with you, is to consider some bass trapping and other acoustical treatments in the room.

I just saw what Michael posted above...he just beat me to post, LOL....and his advice is also very good.

tboooe

May 11, 2013
Thanks for the reply guys.

Johnny, I tried toe out but feel that I lose too much dynamics. It seems the Evolutions like to have the tweeters pointed just outside the ears.

Michael, to be totally honest I have no idea what you are taking about! :). I will need a translation for dummies!

Daveyf, yes I have been adding room treatments. I have absorption in the front wall and now debating if I should add bass traps or address the first reflection points on the sidewalls first. Any thoughts?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
tboooe, since your room is very small....like mine, I would try some bass traps on the front wall first and then perhaps another trap behind the seating position...at ear level. Addressing the first reflection points on the sidewalls would be good...But that would depend on the amount of wall space you have available.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My room is rather narrow at only 9" so my speakers are 1.5" from the sidewalls measured from the tweeter. I was wondering if I treat the first reflection points can I then move the speakers closer to the sidewalls? In my narrow room I am always looking for ways to widen the soundstage.

Thank you

Wow! Your room really is narrow at 9"! :p

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My room is rather narrow at only 9" so my speakers are 1.5" from the sidewalls measured from the tweeter...

yes, but since his speakers are only 1.5" from each wall...he has a full 6" in between the speakers, so he's all set! ;) sorry...couldn't help myself. Its Saturday nite.

tboooe

May 11, 2013

Dammit! Can't we just move to metric!
yes, but since his speakers are only 1.5" from each wall...he has a full 6" in between the speakers, so he's all set! ;) sorry...couldn't help myself. Its Saturday nite.
Well, 6" is all I can handle. Like my room I am fairly small too.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Dammit! Can't we just move to metric!

Well, 6" is all I can handle. Like my room I am fairly small too.

sorry, man, sorry...I just could NOT resist! I just have images of you as a leprechaun in a shoebox listening to these just MASSIVE speakers...;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...which by the way probably describes half of us on this forum by any 'normal person's' definition. boxes of equipment, strings of cable everywhere, odd reflector things on the wall, headphones, tube dampers, all jammed into a room P-I-L-E-D with LPs and CDs...;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
on a more serious note...I cannot speak to room diffusors or otherwise, as I have never used them. BUT...I did own the SF Guarneris and also lived in shoeboxes narrower than what you describe when I was out of college.

If you are looking for soundstage, I think you might find that pulling the speakers forward towards you (up to a limit) might get you there along with tilting them OUT (as is lesser toe-in). The key is that as you do move the speakers forward...you may also find you lose bass power. With your amp, I am going to [blindly] guess it has some pretty good current...so should be able to drive whatever bass/depth/soundstage out of them that is possible from a power perspective (I find that weak amps make the soundstage and bass both collapse on Guarneris)...thus, this is my best personal advice. Good luck.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
One other comment...the Guarneri's can sound surprisingly 'whole' in 'free space'...but you're gonna need serious current to pull this off. If your amp is up to the task, you may find that as you pull the speakers out, you don't lose 'much' bass...and in fact you begin to find the music spreads out into space which it sounds like you are looking for. But your amp does have to be up for driving the Guarneris in this way. Despite the fact that they are smaller speakers and do not 'need' high current, serious power...they DO respond to high-quality, high power amps (like all of the Homage series imho...I also owned the Strads at one point and have auditioned the SF Amatis a few times as well). Hope that helps. Good luck.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think what Lloyd has said is very good. In my room, I actually have pulled the GH's about as forward as possible and I listen with zero toe-in. Obviously, this is essentially a near-field listening experience, BUT I believe I get a great soundstage and the speakers really disappear well into that stage. As to bass response, well that is why I incorporated a sub into the system. I believe that the G's ( including the GE's ) all benefit from a sub.

tboooe

May 11, 2013
Daveyf, how far from the front wall are your speakers, as measured from the tweeter?

tboooe

May 11, 2013
Tboooe, my speakers are 53" from the front wall to the tweeter.

And how far away do you sit as measured along the side of the triangle?

tboooe

May 11, 2013
Ok so I messed around a bit with my speaker position by pulling them further away from the front wall. They are now 36" away measured from the tweeter, 5'6" apart, and 6' away from the listening position. My head is a little over 1' away from the short wall behind me above which opens up to my large family room and kitchen. There was a definite improvement in clarity. I didn't realize how bloated my system was. The soundstage also improved a bit, spreading out behind the speakers. All in all I am pleased with the results. I didn't sense any loss of bass. Thank you guys for the advice.

I need to rest now. Moving these heavy speakers around is hernia inducing!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ok so I messed around a bit with my speaker position by pulling them further away from the front wall. They are now 36" away measured from the tweeter, 5'6" apart, and 6' away from the listening position. My head is a little over 1' away from the short wall behind me above which opens up to my large family room and kitchen. There was a definite improvement in clarity. I didn't realize how bloated my system was. The soundstage also improved a bit, spreading out behind the speakers. All in all I am pleased with the results. I didn't sense any loss of bass. Thank you guys for the advice.

I need to rest now. Moving these heavy speakers around is hernia inducing!

Congrats...sounds like a very nice improvement. And (other than the hernia), it was free. ;) enjoy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing