N. American Premier of Sasha 2

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Last evening I attended the North American Premier of the Sasha 2 speakers at Paragon Sight and Sound in Ann Arbor. Wilson Audio's Peter McGrath and Jerron Marchant were on hand to discuss the updated speaker and to demonstrate its capabilities. Also in attendance was John Quick Sales Manager for dCS America.

The associated gear used to demonstrate the Sasha 2 included: D'Agostino's Momentum stereo amp, the Momentum pre-amp, the 4 unit dCS Vivaldi stack including transport, DAC, clock and upsampler, all connected with Transparent cables.

According to Jerron the Sasha 2's are currently priced at $29,500. Peter later mentioned that a price increase is anticipated this spring/summer.

I am sure I am leaving out some of the differences between the original Sasha and the 2 that Peter mentioned but here are a few. The most obvious is the switch to a version of the silk dome Convergent Synergy Tweeter which had its debut in the XLF's. The speaker/listener set-up should be more precise as the "2" has 42 available settings rather than the 3 in the Sasha. Although the bass cabinet looks the same tools that were not available when the Sasha was introduced have allowed Wilson to add internal bracing to specific areas that reduce cabinet resonance by ~34%. Last, where the load on the original Sasha dipped as low 1.8 ohms, Peter indicated the Sasha 2's low was around 3 with a nominal 5.

I was never a big proponent of the Sasha's. I didn't dislike them nor was I enthralled by their performance. The Sasha 2 does sound like a different speaker. In my mind more capable in the bass, and richer in the mids.

Sorry about the photos, I just used the on camera flash.

DCSStck.jpg Diplay.JPG SideView.JPG Tweeter.JPG DSC_0883.JPG

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Last evening I attended the North American Premier of the Sasha 2 speakers at Paragon Sight and Sound in Ann Arbor. (...)

The change in bass impedance will be very welcome to tube users - the original Sasha low dip was not very tube friendly in this aspect. I am curious to know how the Sasha 2 will sound with the Audio Research REF75 - as far as I know I will be able to listen to it next month.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
The change in bass impedance will be very welcome to tube users - the original Sasha low dip was not very tube friendly in this aspect. I am curious to know how the Sasha 2 will sound with the Audio Research REF75 - as far as I know I will be able to listen to it next month.

One of the discussion points last evening related to the number of different amps they test their products on before release. From Peter's perspective I don't think the REF 75 will have any problem in a normal sized room.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm going tomorrow night to Definitive Audio to hear them. Can't wait!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm going tomorrow night to Definitive Audio to hear them. Can't wait!

And we can't wait to read your listening impressions!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Is it just me, or is Dan's preamp wildly unattractive?

Well it is not just you, but you are in the minority from most of the comments both in print and heard at shows.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
From what I remember the impedance dip is closer to 2, not 3. I will have to look at the specs Daryl gave me to verify exactly. I would say the series 2 is a little easier to drive than the series 1.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
From what I remember the impedance dip is closer to 2, not 3. I will have to look at the specs Daryl gave me to verify exactly. I would say the series 2 is a little easier to drive than the series 1.

Yes, I have seen now in your site: "Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms / minimum 2.17 ohms @ 90 Hz". Not 3 ohms, but somewhat better than the old Sasha 1.8 ohm, specially considering the 1 dB increase in efficiency. If we take in account the reported richer middle the overall effect could result in an apparent 2-3 dB increase in efficiency with some tube amplifiers. Still very good news!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Yes, I have seen now in your site: "Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms / minimum 2.17 ohms @ 90 Hz". Not 3 ohms, but somewhat better than the old Sasha 1.8 ohm, specially considering the 1 dB increase in efficiency. If we take in account the reported richer middle the overall effect could result in an apparent 2-3 dB increase in efficiency with some tube amplifiers. Still very good news!

I am sure the info that Debbie is passing on and the data on Wilson's site is more accurate than what Peter was attempting to convey the other night. He had indicated that he didn't remember the exact numbers but he thought the minimum was close to 3. The whole point of his message was an easier load that could be driven by low powered tube gear.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
What's the size of the mid/bass driver just underneath the tweeter?

Tim

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com

Just want to make sure you guys are getting the correct info ;)

Sounds like it was a great event! I have been wanting to go to some of the dealer events. My kinda thing ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think I see 10 pairs of Sasha 1 on A-gon right now.

11 pairs today! It seems lot of people are moving to the Sasha 2. Some of these used Sasha 1's are really a fantastic buy at the low advertised prices.

Pepe

Jan 4, 2014
Hello everyone. I need some help choosing the speaker cable for the Sasha2/Pass XA60.8 combo. I am in a tight budget and thinking about getting either the Transparent Musicwave Super or the Acoustic Zen Hologram II. Does anyone have a suggestion as of which might be a better choice or if there is something better in the $1300 range? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hello everyone. I need some help choosing the speaker cable for the Sasha2/Pass XA60.8 combo. I am in a tight budget and thinking about getting either the Transparent Musicwave Super or the Acoustic Zen Hologram II. Does anyone have a suggestion as of which might be a better choice or if there is something better in the $1300 range? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If I were you, I'd definitely start with the Transparent cables. They have an upgrade path as funds become available.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing