Bristol Show - England UK, Feb 23rd 2014

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Had a great time at the recent UK Bristol show, for those of you who don't know the Bristol show it caters more for the affordable systems and does not get carried away with mega high price tags, although in some rooms there was less attractive priced equipment....

You'll have to excuse the pictures as I only took the iPhone and some of the rooms were dark.

One of the highlights was that Naim UK were exhibiting their Statement range of Amplification which will retail at around $200 which is a bold move for this company. As for the sound for once I actually thought that Naim have done a very good job, if you have ever heard Naim in the past then this does not resemble anything that they have down before. They used some Focal speakers which were, well, very large to say the least, the amplifier controlled the bass very well indeed.

Other highlights were for me the Audio Note UK room with quite a modest set up by their standards, think it only retailed for around $15,000. Comprised on AN/E Spkrs, Conquerer Power Amp, M2 Pre, AN TT / Arm / IO Cart, AN 2.1 Dac and Transport

Next highlight was GRAHAM Audio who were selling BBC designed speakers fronted by a Vintage Nagra reel to reel, sounded very BBC ish but very nice t listen too. They also had an EMT TT but this wasn't hooked up.

These were the stand out systems for me from what I can recall, the following are pictures from the various rooms on display all making some nice tunes

Cyrus with the new all in one streamer, sounded ok

Dynavector with $25,000 speakers, although they were ok I would have expected a bit more to be honest

PMC - They don't do it for me, sound a bit HiFi!

QUAD c/w elcrostats and a new amp / streamer all in one, sounded quite flat, Ive heard QUAD sound better that this

They also had some of the new amps on display, kind of reminded me of amps from the 90's that were for sale in local shops

Chord Electronics, quite poor in all honesty, very thin sounding

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Wilson Benesch - Sounded ok, this was frond by DCS.

RUARK - Playing an all in one retro styled media centre, this actually sounded quite decent, better than I was expecting, RUARK are engineering there kit towards the lifestyle approach

Spendor and Devialet, sounded really nice, quite impressive

Michell, really nice sounds from these people

PROAC, nice sounding

REGA, a really nice sound they were using the new RP10 and must admit it sounded wonderful

CLEARAUDIO, a whopping $50,000 Turntable, quite sexy looking and sounded very nice indeed

ELAC and their bizarre looking speakers

CAD Systems, real nice sounding stuff but quite expensive

AMPHION and Antelpope Audio, wasn't that impressed

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
ATLAS Cables using T+A doing some cable demos, the speaker cables were $10,000!

HEED Audio, first time Id heard these and they were quite impressive

CABASSE, bizarre looking but sound wise they were OK if you could live with the looks, they had some nice T+A Tubes doing the amplification!

VDH and Cocttail audio, sounded really nice and the highlight was watching the guy do a re-tip on a VDH Cart!

PRIMARE and GOLDENEAR, sounded quite good

Magneplanar, they don't do it for me, Im sure lots will disagree though all the same

EDGE with AVALON, nice!

BMC, a new one for me but it did sound quite nice, they guy said the speakers were extruded from Aluminium

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
I had to post the pictures over 3 threads but thats about it from me

Lee

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks for the Bristol post Lee.
I had thought of going if only to hear the Naim Statement but other things intervened and your post, comments and pictures are very much appreciated

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree!! Thanks for posting. Also interested in your thoughts on the Naim Statement amps...I have heard the Focal Grande Utopia which they were apparently using. (Note: While the bass drivers are passive (ie they require an amp), I believe they do have an electronically powered magnet or something (ie, vastly more powerful than a standard magnet of comparable size)...this apparently creates the effect of much greater (and also variable) control over the bass drivers.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Lee,
any idea what the speakers were with the Chord setup and what digital source of theirs they used?
From my own experience they can sound lean but interested to know the speakers and if possible if remember the digital source.
You are not the only one to comment on AN standing out compared to many of the other exhibitors at the show.

Thanks for you take on the show.
Orb

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
Lee,
any idea what the speakers were with the Chord setup and what digital source of theirs they used?
From my own experience they can sound lean but interested to know the speakers and if possible if remember the digital source.
You are not the only one to comment on AN standing out compared to many of the other exhibitors at the show.

Thanks for you take on the show.
Orb

PMC Fact 8 speakers.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Was AJ actually building cartridges at the show? I never heard of the Graham LS5/9, I found their URL and they have a dist in NA :cool:

thanks for posting.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks Wizard,
ouch, not good if they sounded thin with those.
Any idea what the source was?
Thanks again
Orb

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Thanks Wizard,
ouch, not good if they sounded thin with those.
Any idea what the source was?
Thanks again
Orb

Hi Orb

Sorry mate no idea what it was

Lee

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Was AJ actually building cartridges at the show? I never heard of the Graham LS5/9, I found their URL and they have a dist in NA :cool:

thanks for posting.

Yes mate, quite interesting to see him work, they had a monitor hooked unto the microscope of all to see

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing