What's the current CAT Preamp lineup? What are the sonic differences?

caesar

May 30, 2010
It's a shame, but CAT doesn't have a website. Does anyone know what their current preamp line up is? And what are the sonic differences as you move from one preamp to another in the lineup?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Caesar, I believe that the current line up for the CAT preamp is: The Renaissance and the Legend. As to the sonic difference, I have NOT heard the latest Legend, BUT the Renaissance is superb IMHO.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
It's a shame, but CAT doesn't have a website. Does anyone know what their current preamp line up is? And what are the sonic differences as you move from one preamp to another in the lineup?
That’s the first time I have heard of a hifi brand that does not have a website.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Please don't be discouraged by "old" gear. Many guys buy into the marketing aspect of this hobby and chase the latest thing on the magazine cover, falsely thinking : "finally that nirvana....".

But for guys who crave the emotional connection to the music, even older CAT models smoke most of the recent brands and audiophile drek that's out there. :) (And of course the newer CAT gear has the resolution of the top newer gear.)

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
I use a modified Line Magentic Power Supply same tube setup as John wolff, They have transformed the speakers completely compared to the SS Power Supplies he used to supply.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have listened to a special edition of the CAT ultimate MK2 for 11 years .
I swapped it 5 months ago for a young Legend pre amp .
The most obvious difference is refinement , you hear more detail .
To my surprise they sound very different in the Bass region , the legend sounds slightly leaner , i reckon it is actually slightly more balanced / neutral , but it needs time to get used to

Both are great natural sounding pre amps , with total control over the freq range

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing