What are the most powerful Pure Class A Amplifiers ever made?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Commercial product? My guess is the Boulder 3050.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Most I see top out in the 100w range. Even 200 watters are very rare for all class A. Twin power line inlets the giveaway. Boulder is the only one I can think of that claims true class A all the way, not sliding into AB somewhere along the line. Was the BAT VK-600 pure class A? Those were twin PC affairs.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Was the Krell Master Reference Amp pure Class A? Gryphon is all Class A, and tops outs at 175 watts/channel into 8 ohm load in mono form. Clayton Audio go up to 300 watt monos in pure class A I believe.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
No amplifier deliver 300 w REAL class A from a standard AC installation.

Interesting & I am not doubting you.
Does any amplifier deliver 300 w REAL class A from NON standard AC [or DC] installation /// 220v, 440v, 3 phase, High Voltage DC generator ?????

Thank you,
zz

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Interesting & I am not doubting you.
Does any amplifier deliver 300 w REAL class A from NON standard AC [or DC] installation /// 220v, 440v, 3 phase, High Voltage DC generator ?????

Thank you,
zz

The Boulder has ONLY a 220V connection.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Pass Labs XS300 claims 300 watts of Class A. The XA200.5 claims 200 watts of Class A.

Nelson Pass makes great amplifiers.
I read the manual on the XS300. I initially copied 2 paragraphs, but deleted them due to ?copyright issues? - maybe.
The pdf manual is easy to download & read.
Near the end the meter is mentioned & and I will quote here: "when the output current of the amplifier exceeds the Class A bias
setting, you will see the needle bounce upwards."

"exceeds the Class A bias"

Great amps / I am not solid state technical enough to continue.

zz.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Nelson Pass makes great amplifiers.
I read the manual on the XS300. I initially copied 2 paragraphs, but deleted them due to ?copyright issues? - maybe.
The pdf manual is easy to download & read.
Near the end the meter is mentioned & and I will quote here: "when the output current of the amplifier exceeds the Class A bias
setting, you will see the needle bounce upwards."

"exceeds the Class A bias"

Great amps / I am not solid state technical enough to continue.

zz.

Yes, it is my understanding that these Pass amp ratings are for Class A power before they go into Class A/B. My XA160.5 for instance has 160 watts of Class A into an 8 ohm load and 320 watts of Class A into a 4 ohm load. But they have much more additional power once they leave Class A. The XA30.5 was measured by Stereophile and found to have something like 130 watts of total power in Class AB, but at least 30 watts of Class A into 8 ohms. I can't remember the exact number, but the rating was found to be very conservative.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Didn't Stax make some monster Class A amp back in the 80's?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Yes, it is my understanding that these Pass amp ratings are for Class A power before they go into Class A/B. My XA160.5 for instance has 160 watts of Class A into an 8 ohm load and 320 watts of Class A into a 4 ohm load. But they have much more additional power once they leave Class A. The XA30.5 was measured by Stereophile and found to have something like 130 watts of total power in Class AB, but at least 30 watts of Class A into 8 ohms. I can't remember the exact number, but the rating was found to be very conservative.
The XA.5, XA.8 and XS series each deliver their full rated power as Class A into 8 ohms, double that into 4 ohms. They have an additional 6 dB of A/B power (or slightly more) available above that rating.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The XA.5, XA.8 and XS series each deliver their full rated power as Class A into 8 ohms, double that into 4 ohms. They have an additional 6 dB of A/B power (or slightly more) available above that rating.

someone once told me that typically most pure Class A amps are pure Class A into their 8ohms loads, and will double watts into a 4ohm load, but the amount that is still Pure Class A actually HALVES...so a 100watt/channel Class A amp will be 200watts into 4ohms, but 50 watts of that is Class A.

I am NO techie, so thanks for any clarifications here.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No amplifier deliver 300 w REAL class A from a standard AC installation.

Why not? Theoretical class A efficiency at nominal impedance is 50%. Even if you degrade it by 20% almost any standard AC installations can supply 750 watts. But it will heat a lot.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Didn't Stax make some monster Class A amp back in the 80's?

Yes, the KRS 200. Some people used 4 mono amps to power the Apogee Scintilla - almost 1000 lbs of amplifiers!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
someone once told me that typically most pure Class A amps are pure Class A into their 8ohms loads, and will double watts into a 4ohm load, but the amount that is still Pure Class A actually HALVES...so a 100watt/channel Class A amp will be 200watts into 4ohms, but 50 watts of that is Class A.

I am NO techie, so thanks for any clarifications here.

Yes, it is like that. The only correction I would do to the sentence is " and can probably double watts into a 4 ohm load" .

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Quick note on Boulder (and Krell). They now have dynamic biasing so that if you are playing at low volumes, they don't suck out the huge currents that standard class A uses. They have an algorithm that then has to anticipate when to dial this up or down.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen, other than the recent Boulder and Krell innovations that Amir mentions, why did the others stop at 150, 200, etc.? Is it just because your room would turn into a sauna, or for sonic reasons?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Gentlemen, other than the recent Boulder and Krell innovations that Amir mentions, why did the others stop at 150, 200, etc.? Is it just because your room would turn into a sauna, or for sonic reasons?

Others with more technical background can answer with science. All I can say is my 160watt pure class a dual mono amp weighs 176lbs as it is. That's big and heavy enough! And with 95db speakers, I seriously doubt I am leaving class a at any time. That said, I could see where some might wish for more depending on room size and speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing