USB isolator

Aoyama

Jun 3, 2013
Brazil
Hello everybody,

After researching and listening, some systems i suppose the USB isolator is some kind of SotM or PPA PCBs, that isolate the power from dac, so i purchase a IfI USB Power from avatar acoustics.

Today i'm running my system with a mac mini 2009 moded with SSD Hd, 4Gb of ram and a external power supply, with a MSB DACIV Platinum with galaxy clock and diamond power base.

Installing the Ifi USB, i get a sound with more focus and details probably cause the reducing of the background noise and a full bodied sound. After 48Hs i noticed a increase of all this qualities including more layers on sound, but the sound became a little harsh and bright and needed to reduce a little of toeing.

After a insight, i changed the stock power supply with a shunt regulator that i have it here, just to listen.

For my surprise i don't lost anything of good, but now the sound is no more aggressive, no more harsh and bright and again i won more layers on sound.

Till now i'm loving it, and now i'll try the Ipurifier and the gemini usb cable.

Just to know, anyone had trouble with USB cables, no synchronizing?
Cause i tested the chord USB cable Sauron, and he just don't play, probably cause the unmatched impedance, cause this i'll try the Gemini cable.

Other cable that i tested and liked is from locus, not sure but i think nucleus, but no more in production.

[]s

Aoyama

Jun 3, 2013
Brazil
I think the stock power supply need a longer burn in time, cause now the stock power supply, is more smooth.

Now i purchase the gemini cable and the Ipurifier and loving it, sure after a burning time, compared with my blue heaven usb cable.

I made a adapter to use with my audio karma cable cooker, and after a 24hs of burning the magic was done, thanks again Alan.

[]s

coxhaus

Mar 11, 2014
The only problem I see with using the IFI USB is it requires 2 good USB cables. I run a Purist Ultimate USB cable and don’t want to buy a second one. Otherwise I would own one right now. My other problem is I am running a home built music server without a PCI express slot so I need an old Sotm PCI card but I am worried whether they will continue to support this older format on Windows Server2012. So I have not decided what to do next.

Matias

Feb 6, 2013
São Paulo - Brazil
coxhaus, I think that way too. That is why Aqvox solution looks atractive as it uses 1 USB cable only and is a small adapter, although I have not tried it much less compared it to other solutions.

http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

Last edited:

Aoyama

Jun 3, 2013
Brazil
Hello Matias, glad to see you here.

Well, to be honest, the improvement with USB isolator, was so big using the stock cable with blue heaven. You can give a try. It's cheap only U$200,00.

Puting in numbers, i can say the Usb isolator gave me 10% on sound and the gemini + Ipurifier only 2%, now i'm running with Blue Haven from my mac and the gemini to MSB DacIV.

The gemini cable is more full body, with nice timbre and textures compared with Nordost.

[]s

coxhaus

Mar 11, 2014
I have a good friend which ran an IFI USB isolator and also saw an improvement. What he also said was the isolator blended the sound of the 2 USB cables so you really need 2 good USB cables. He tried several different USB cables and was frustrated cause he could heard the sound of the other USB cable until he ran 2 matching Diamond USB cables.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing