power cords for Vitus SM-101 Monoblocks , what do you think can match?

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
i've owned the Vitus SM101 several years ago.
these amps are quite sensitive to power cords.

must've tried a dozen power cords on these amps (including PAD Dominus, Nordost Valhalla/Odin, top of the line Acrolink Mexcel, Vitus Andromeda. Jena Labs, Jorma Prime, Pranawire, Kondo KSL-ACz, etc., etc.) during my ownership. from what i recall, PAD Dominus was pretty decent, but i liked Jorma Prime power best.

avoid the "brighter" sounding power cords (eg. Nordost Valhalla, Acrolink, Kondo)... very bad match!

"avoid the "brighter" sounding power cords"

same think also with speaker cables and interconnect?
what brand/model you used?

flat6

Jun 9, 2012
"avoid the "brighter" sounding power cords"

same think also with speaker cables and interconnect?
what brand/model you used?

I didn't experiment with speaker cables.
I did experiment with interconnects, but not as extensively as I did with power cords. interconnects tend to be more component / system specific, so it's difficult to generalize. you'll prob need to experiment a little.

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
I have the Vitus SIA 025 which runs from an Audience Aspect power conditioner and Entreq speaker cables and interconnects.
The Vitus was supplied by the the UK distributor along with two Silver Tellus and a silver Minimus for the Konstantin speaker cables also supplied by the same person.
He has heard my system a number of times and installed the above personally. At no stage has he expressed any reservations about any of the above.
I am currently trying out the Entreq Atlantis which turbo charges the Silver Tellus together with an Atlantis earth cable connected to the 025.
The last two additions have noticeably improved the sound quality with better bass, improved resolution and a more natural sound which removed the sharpness from violin in particular.
Here in the UK therefore I am not aware of any advice from Vitus, who I see from time to time, about avoiding any of the above but I will ask him next time I see him

I just bought a Vitus SIA 025 and when Vitus suggest not to use a power conditioner ,would the same be said for the PerfectWave P10 Power Plant?? I just ordered a Furutech Evolution II Power cable and will try it straight from the wall and P10 Power Plant to see if there is any difference!!
Stump

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I just bought a Vitus SIA 025 and when Vitus suggest not to use a power conditioner ,would the same be said for the PerfectWave P10 Power Plant?? I just ordered a Furutech Evolution II Power cable and will try it straight from the wall and P10 Power Plant to see if there is any difference!!
Stump

Congratulations on the purchase of the Vitus SIA 025.
It's a fabulous amp IMHO and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
The Audience Aspect is a passive power conditioner and works fine with my Vitus but to be fair I have not tried it straight into the wall so I will be very interested to hear how you get on. I am using it with the supplied Andromeda power cable but have an Entreq Challenger 3V power cable on its way so I'll let you know how that goes. I recently installed 3 Entreq Apollo i/cs and they have lifted the sound quality very substantially.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
I also have a Vitus SIA 025 running an Andromeda PC. Hopefully today ill be picking up a Jorma Prime PC. Ill report back on any changes to the sound - hopefully positive!

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
The Audience Aspect is a passive power conditioner and works fine with my Vitus but to be fair I have not tried it straight into the wall so I will be very interested to hear how you get on. I am using it with the supplied Andromeda power cable but have an Entreq Challenger 3V power cable on its way so I'll let you know how that goes. I recently installed 3 Entreq Apollo i/cs and they have lifted the sound quality very substantially.

I didn't get the Andromeda power cable as the first owner had sold it .I am using a made up Furutech plug from my other Amp and should have the Furutech Evolution II Power cable next week.The Entreq cables are a interesting concept.
Stump

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I didn't get the Andromeda power cable as the first owner had sold it .I am using a made up Furutech plug from my other Amp and should have the Furutech Evolution II Power cable next week.The Entreq cables are a interesting concept.
Stump

I am a great fan of both the Entreq grounding boxes,earthing cables and i/cs and other cables.
The ground boxes and cables really do lower the noise floor and improve the sound substantially. Entreq has the advantage over the Tripoint in that you can do it in stages and there does not appear to be a great difference in performance between the two

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Barry, have you compared a Entreq to a Tripoint ?

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
i've owned the Vitus SM101 several years ago.
these amps are quite sensitive to power cords.

must've tried a dozen power cords on these amps (including PAD Dominus, Nordost Valhalla/Odin, top of the line Acrolink Mexcel, Vitus Andromeda. Jena Labs, Jorma Prime, Pranawire, Kondo KSL-ACz, etc., etc.) during my ownership. from what i recall, PAD Dominus was pretty decent, but i liked Jorma Prime power best.

avoid the "brighter" sounding power cords (eg. Nordost Valhalla, Acrolink, Kondo)... very bad match!
Bang on brother. I've read similar feedback from A'gon member Mihalis who owns some of the best high end gear in the world. He compared Nordost Odin & Valhalla to Prime and ended up with mostly Prime in his system, including all-Jorma Prime power cables.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Vitus Masterpiece stereo powered by Goebel Statement . Sounded awesome .My friend who got his Goebels cables claimed that the audioexotics guys maybe right that Goebel cables are 1 of the best cables in town . Hope to try these cables in my system soon

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
+ 2. Congrats Stump on buying one of the best integrated amps in the world, and surely one of the most musical sounding. Hope you get mega joy from it!

Regarding power to wall vs conditioner. I currently have my SIA-025 connected to my Acoustic Revive RTP-6 passive conditioner and have been very happy with the sound. I may be moving to an active conditioner later this year, so i'll be able to report my findings. There are a few conditioners out there which are properly designed to not limit high current amplifiers if you do your homework.

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
right now i have only stock cords.

not sure what the power need in watt for the Vitus
but i know they have 2200VA power supply in each amp.

rest of the system:
Focal Maestro Utopia
Pass Lab Xp10 pre
Luxman DA-06 DAC
wireworld platinum usb cable
Cardas Clear and Tara Labs the one speaker cables
Tara Labs 0.8 XLR interconnect
regular PC

I’m using only the computer to play music.
stock AC cable , no AC conditiner/tweaks

Thanks
Pelo, if you have stock pc's to tide you over for now (the Andromeda cords are very good btw), I would sell your Pass XP10 pre & buy a 2nd hand Vitus SL-101 or SL-102 preamp instead, or you could get a Vitus RD-100 dac which has a linestage built in & move on two components! Rule of thumb: Vitus always sounds best with Vitus. Imho, you would get a bigger improvement from this move than upgrading your stock pc's at this stage. Then again, I upgraded my cables before I moved onto amps and front end components, so there are many ways to skin a cat.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I also have a Vitus SIA 025 running an Andromeda PC. Hopefully today ill be picking up a Jorma Prime PC. Ill report back on any changes to the sound - hopefully positive!
Hi Paul, congrats on your Prime pc. I think you'll love it; Prime sounds sophisticated and organic, and is a bit more delicate sounding than Siltech Royal Signature. Looking forward to your feedback!

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Barry, have you compared a Entreq to a Tripoint ?

I have not heard a controlled comparison between Tripoint and Entreq.
I have heard a Tripoint on a different system from mine - Kharma speakers, EMM Labs CD, Aesthtix amp and preamp and with the highly rated Japanese preamp discussed here previously Koga?
The first listen was with the latter preamp and the sound was extremely clean and well resolved - too much so for my taste. With the Aesthetix preamp the sound was more natural to my ears and conveyed more emotion but the noise floor was higher.
Since then my two Silver Tellus have added an Atlantis box and Atlantis earth cable to both of them, the i/cs have been upgraded to Entreq Apollos with an Atlantis earth to the DCS Puccini. To me the sound from my system is substantially better than the above system,
Lloyd to my knowledge is the only member who has got close to auditioning both - I don't think he heard the full works Entreq Atlantis set up -but he went for the Tripoint and thought both were very good but that the Tripoint was a little better.
I am very happy with Entreq which I find more user friendly, no power cord needed and can be built up and upgraded in stages and earths all the components, i/cs and speaker cables to very good effect. The noise floor on my system is effectively non existent.
I have no problem with those who may prefer the Tripoint but for me the Entreq is more user friendly and cost effective. I have not seen any evidence or claims of any real superiority of the Tripoint but the new Tripoint Emperor may have changed that but at a considerably greater cost.
Hope that is helpful to you Jazzhead

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
View attachment 16338

Vitus Masterpiece stereo powered by Goebel Statement . Sounded awesome .My friend who got his Goebels cables claimed that the audioexotics guys maybe right that Goebel cables are 1 of the best cables in town . Hope to try these cables in my system soon

Nice photos! Let us know when you try them. How much are the PCs? Also, are those Rockport Altairs?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...Lloyd to my knowledge is the only member who has got close to auditioning both - I don't think he heard the full works Entreq Atlantis set up -but he went for the Tripoint and thought both were very good but that the Tripoint was a little better...

Hi Barry, yes, I have heard the Entreq Atlantis box with 1 Atlantis cable and 1 Apollo in my system. I took it out after 2 weeks and put in the Tripoint Troy SE with the Thor PC and regular (non Thor) cables. I'm a pretty picky guy, and I honestly would still be perfectly happy today with the Entreq system and feel no pang for the Tripoint. The Entreq is that good and fully satisfying.

Yes, I did go for the Tripoint. I found that the Tripoint took clarity, timing and detail even further...but I will also add that the Entreq Atlantis did something very special on low-end bass RHYTHM which I still find remarkable and superior to the Tripoint in my system. I have managed to get closer to that, by adding 2 Atlantis cables to the SIGNAL (via the RCA inputs of the Zanden and CJ GAT)...while the Tripoing grounding cables are all connected to chassis screws.

Sure, I probably broke a lotta rules doing that (mixing of metals, etc)...but it works for me. First, I always liked the signal grounding thing (whatever it means technically I have no idea...I only know what I hear)...and Tripoint can do this but was not ostensibly setup that way...and those Atlantis cables are darned good.

I have not gone back to compare this one track way long ago that had that odd syncopated deep house beat...to see if this has solved for that beat when the full Atlantis system was in...maybe I should. Otherwise, I am perfectly happy that 'I have it all'.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Barry, yes, I have heard the Entreq Atlantis box with 1 Atlantis cable and 1 Apollo in my system. I took it out after 2 weeks and put in the Tripoint Troy SE with the Thor PC and regular (non Thor) cables. I'm a pretty picky guy, and I honestly would still be perfectly happy today with the Entreq system and feel no pang for the Tripoint. The Entreq is that good and fully satisfying.

Yes, I did go for the Tripoint. I found that the Tripoint took clarity, timing and detail even further...but I will also add that the Entreq Atlantis did something very special on low-end bass RHYTHM which I still find remarkable and superior to the Tripoint in my system. I have managed to get closer to that, by adding 2 Atlantis cables to the SIGNAL (via the RCA inputs of the Zanden and CJ GAT)...while the Tripoing grounding cables are all connected to chassis screws.

Sure, I probably broke a lotta rules doing that (mixing of metals, etc)...but it works for me. First, I always liked the signal grounding thing (whatever it means technically I have no idea...I only know what I hear)...and Tripoint can do this but was not ostensibly setup that way...and those Atlantis cables are darned good.

I have not gone back to compare this one track way long ago that had that odd syncopated deep house beat...to see if this has solved for that beat when the full Atlantis system was in...maybe I should. Otherwise, I am perfectly happy that 'I have it all'.

Thanks Lloyd.
The key point is that either Entreq or Tripoint really are no brainer upgrades and you pay your money and take your choice.
As I mentioned I recently added 3 Entreq Apollo i/cs and an Atlantis earth on the Puccini and the improvement was significant once the system had settled down. After a day or two later I realised also that what had come back was the PRAT factors that I had had and missed from the Naim 500/552DR prior to acquiring the Vitus SIA 025 , notwithstanding the overall better qualities of the latter, which ties in with your experience.
I'm currently awaiting delivery of a Challenger power cable to replace the Andromeda on the amp which should bring further improvement and at a later stage there are some silver earth cables which will be upgraded to Apollo or Atlantis.
I believe, and you may know more than me of Far Eastern forums, that there are some posts comparing the two under controlled conditions which would be interesting to read if any one can point us too them.
Best wishes and enjoy the music.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Lloyd , Goebel PC 2m 7.5k euro including VAT. 3m speaker cable euro 20k with VAT & 1.2m IC euro 5k VAT. It's rockport avior

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd.
The key point is that either Entreq or Tripoint really are no brainer upgrades and you pay your money and take your choice.
As I mentioned I recently added 3 Entreq Apollo i/cs and an Atlantis earth on the Puccini and the improvement was significant once the system had settled down. After a day or two later I realised also that what had come back was the PRAT factors that I had had and missed from the Naim 500/552DR prior to acquiring the Vitus SIA 025 , notwithstanding the overall better qualities of the latter, which ties in with your experience.
I'm currently awaiting delivery of a Challenger power cable to replace the Andromeda on the amp which should bring further improvement and at a later stage there are some silver earth cables which will be upgraded to Apollo or Atlantis.
I believe, and you may know more than me of Far Eastern forums, that there are some posts comparing the two under controlled conditions which would be interesting to read if any one can point us too them.
Best wishes and enjoy the music.

Same to you! Enjoying the music is what its about. Yes, for me, either was a no brainer. Similar to the Ultra 5s which went in and never came out of the system!

As for Asian websites, yes, I too would be very interested to read about a shoot-out between the two from other people and in other systems...let us know if you find it (in English/translated). i'll try to look as well...I had hear Lincoln Chen (Audio Technique magazine) uses both...Entreq in the magazine ref system and Tripoint in her personal ref system at home.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
So i got my Jorma Prime PC and swapped out the Vitus Andromeda. The Andromeda i replaced into the CD player and the Voodoo PC that was feeding the CD player now feeds the Gigawatt power conditioner.

Net result - it sounds better. The system is quieter, the space of the recording is more strongly recreated in my room. Voices and instruments are several rows closer to me - i think I'm now in the front row because the amount of detail i can hear from the musicians is berserk.

All in all a worthy upgrade.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing