Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Acronis True Image should work.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Just use on of the cloning programs available. They will make bit by bit, sector by sector image copy of your original HDD. You risk absolutely nothing. If your new, cloned disk doesn't work - just put the old HDD back.

PS. Get the WD Red HDD instead - much more reliable.

Anyone can research the differences between the various drives online. For example, Tom's Hardware is a source of good information. The green drives use less power, hence produce less heat, which is important considering that Aurender puts the drives inside enclosures for sound deadening. The green drives also spin down when they can, which reduces wear. Much of the time the hard drives are not running because the SSD holds the music in the playlist. Certainly Aurender considered all of these points when selecting the green drives. Keep in mind that in the 3 or 4 years they have been shipping their music servers, they have seen no hard drive failures. None.

Even if the two year warranty is over I would not want to risk hardware failure and the distinct possibility that the manufacturer would refuse to service the modified unit, all for the sake of saving on the cost of a hard drive. The expression "penny wise and pound foolish" may well apply. Audiophilelp, if you really need a 2TB drive for general purposes, go online and buy one, they're well under $100.

Adam, if you are still a reviewer, I am surprised you would recommend such a thing.

Audiophilelp

Jul 19, 2013
Anyone can research the differences between the various drives online. For example, Tom's Hardware is a source of good information. The green drives use less power, hence produce less heat, which is important considering that Aurender puts the drives inside enclosures for sound deadening. The green drives also spin down when they can, which reduces wear. Much of the time the hard drives are not running because the SSD holds the music in the playlist. Certainly Aurender considered all of these points when selecting the green drives. Keep in mind that in the 3 or 4 years they have been shipping their music servers, they have seen no hard drive failures. None.

Even if the two year warranty is over I would not want to risk hardware failure and the distinct possibility that the manufacturer would refuse to service the modified unit, all for the sake of saving on the cost of a hard drive. The expression "penny wise and pound foolish" may well apply. Audiophilelp, if you really need a 2TB drive for general purposes, go online and buy one, they're well under $100.

Adam, if you are still a reviewer, I am surprised you would recommend such a thing.

Hi Brian! I let you know I have all your thoughts before posting here. Of course paying to aurender is the most conservative and secure way to upgrade my HDD. Just I cannot accept they take my old HDD, which includes tones of audio files. If they worried if the OS/ source codes leaked out, they can simply format the old HDD and give it back to me.

Changing to WD red HDD is another issue. The red one can also be "green" when idled, depending on the software program. I used both green and red before, the later is definitely more quiet and durable. Another reason Aurender used WD green is the cost . I checked my s10, it has seagate 2TB HDD only, not WD green!

I am waiting reply from Korea after their public holiday I will get the answer.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Hi Brian! I let you know I have all your thoughts before posting here. Of course paying to aurender is the most conservative and secure way to upgrade my HDD. Just I cannot accept they take my old HDD, which includes tones of audio files. If they worried if the OS/ source codes leaked out, they can simply format the old HDD and give it back to me.
Surely you back up your music library to another hard drive or NAS -- I hope! Again, the cost of a 2TB drive is very low, quite possibly less than what it would cost to ship your hard drive back to you, and you would have a new hard drive.

Changing to WD red HDD is another issue. The red one can also be "green" when idled, depending on the software program. I used both green and red before, the later is definitely more quiet and durable. Another reason Aurender used WD green is the cost . I checked my s10, it has seagate 2TB HDD only, not WD green!
Do you really know for a fact that the cost difference between red and green was the reason they selected green?

Mordecai

Jul 18, 2014
Umm guys....do you know how an AUrender works? The difference between Red and Green drives in the Aurender is extraneous. In all Aurenders, the spinning drive shuts down once tracks are buffered to the solid state drive. That's the whole point! Green drives typically spin down when not in use which is why they're sometimes less reliable and are slower than Red drives in a computer or NAS application, but in an Aurender it's a whole different kettle of fish. Aurender powers both drives down so essentially there is zero benefit of paying more for a Red drive. I'm sure that's why they don't.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
A question to the W20 owners: could you give me a step by step instructions, how to switch ON/OFF the +5V power on the USB audio output ?

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
Hi Adam
This option has now been disabled. It used to be available but was removed. I wrote to aurender asking for it to be reinstated as switching off the 5v power has sonic benefits connecting to lampi dac. If you want to turn this off, u need aurender team to do this remotely.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I sold W20 before I stumbled into Nimitra . Better than W20 ? I don't think so. Value for money definitely

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I hardly listen to digital when I was having W20 . However I spent so much time testing Nimitra . So many variables. Kept testing it with the support of the designer whose support is fantastic for a low price product

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing