Aurender W20 DSD capable

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Good News: I took delivery of a W20

Bad News: All our DSD capable DACs got sold out. I have to wait for the stock of TechDAS D7is and the Light Harmonic Da Vinci Dual to arrive

Not a bad problem to have for sure but man the W20 looks good in black :D

I plan on still using my MAC with Audirvana and Amarra for the stuff I already have on my iTunes library for parties and the like but for the most part I want to keep all my HRZ files on the W20 for solo time. Since I'm mostly LP, I think the 4TB will be enough for my needs.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Good News: I took delivery of a W20

Bad News: All our DSD capable DACs got sold out. I have to wait for the stock of TechDAS D7is and the Light Harmonic Da Vinci Dual to arrive

Not a bad problem to have for sure but man the W20 looks good in black :D

I plan on still using my MAC with Audirvana and Amarra for the stuff I already have on my iTunes library for parties and the like but for the most part I want to keep all my HRZ files on the W20 for solo time. Since I'm mostly LP, I think the 4TB will be enough for my needs.

Actually it has 6 TB of capacity, but who's counting :)

And I agree, it looks really great in black, which is what is here on demonstration. The nice thick clear top cover to show what's inside is the icing on the cake.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Brian,

Too bad I just have the "plain jane" black top. I've been busy lately so I haven't even gotten the chance to load it and set up the router for the iPad App. 6TB? Oh yeah! :D

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Jack, the "plain Jane" black top is a monster and beautifully made! The clear top is for dealers and distributors and was sent along with the unit, but I like the standard black top, too. Every aspect of the W20 is so impressive and beautifully executed, and this is true of the other models, too.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
True, I bundled an S10 with a full system we're doing for a client. I got a chance to use the S in last years show. It's what prompted me to get a W for myself.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
True, I bundled an S10 with a full system we're doing for a client. I got a chance to use the S in last years show. It's what prompted me to get a W for myself.

How are the sonics compared to a very high end transport? (I'd be using the spdif out, not the DACs.)

Mordecai

Jul 18, 2014
The sonics are exceptional. My CDP costing 1.5x more might have some cobwebs in the transport now I have an Aurender :) (use the dac in it though). I noticed that the worse the recording, the bigger the difference.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I like it particularly with the word clock output from my MSB Diamond Select to the word clock BNC input of W20. Awesome compared to Aurender S10 without such input

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I like it particularly with the word clock output from my MSB Diamond Select to the word clock BNC input of W20. Awesome compared to Aurender S10 without such input

The MSB reputedly has a great USB input. Do you add the Aurender because it's got a superior user interface, or, are the sonics better than the USB input?

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Personally no comparison made . I find aurender sounding good & v convenient . Don't like to fiddle with laptop. Have been to a massive massive room with super duper equipment . Compared Laptop as transport & Aurender S10 ( now upgraded to W20) , no contest

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
Not all laptops are the same. A Ultrabook is the way to go.

Audiophilelp

Jul 19, 2013
Hi!
I wonder if any Aurender users have successfully changed HDD by themselves? I am using s10 with 2TB HDD and I found it insufficient now. Thanks !

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Did you try to contact the Aurender support ? They are very helpful.

It should work without problems if you get the Aurender HDD out clone the disk image onto a bigger HDD.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Hi!
I wonder if any Aurender users have successfully changed HDD by themselves? I am using s10 with 2TB HDD and I found it insufficient now. Thanks !

Contact Aurender. Don't do anything without discussing things with them first.

The S10 is now available with 4TB capacity.

The W20 is available with 6TB, 8TB, and 12TB capacities, as is the X100L.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia

W20 available in 12TB capacity ?

Audiophilelp

Jul 19, 2013
Did you try to contact the Aurender support ? They are very helpful.

It should work without problems if you get the Aurender HDD out clone the disk image onto a bigger HDD.

I wonder if the OS is stored in SSD or HDD. If HDD is only for audio files, it would be easy. However, I do not have Linux system and how to clone Linux based HDD in windows XP? Also my windows system does not support 4TB HDD.

Audiophilelp

Jul 19, 2013

I do contact aurender as well as local dealer. They will charge me about 2.5x cost of a brandnew Green WD 4TB HDD and they MUST takeaway my old 2TB HDD. I wish to keep my old HDD and cut the cost.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Just use on of the cloning programs available. They will make bit by bit, sector by sector image copy of your original HDD. You risk absolutely nothing. If your new, cloned disk doesn't work - just put the old HDD back.

PS. Get the WD Red HDD instead - much more reliable.

Audiophilelp

Jul 19, 2013
Just use on of the cloning programs available. They will make bit by bit, sector by sector image copy of your original HDD. You risk absolutely nothing. If your new, cloned disk doesn't work - just put the old HDD back.

PS. Get the WD Red HDD instead - much more reliable.

Thanks Adam!
Can you suggest any cloning program capable of cloning Linux HDD and supporting 4TB?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing