Shunyata effective "into the wall" or just from the outlet to component?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I should preface my questions by stating that I own many Shunyata powercables and outlets, and I am very happy with them. However, I have found in the past that amps that drive current hungry speakers really like their own dedicated lines and work better without power conditioners.

The impression I get is that Shunyata is all about "cleaning up" the noise from the component's power supply to the wall. Is this correct? Is Shunyata effective by what a really powerful amplifier may throw back into the line toward the circuit breaker? What can be done to eliminate this noise?

Does Shunyata make any wire one could use to build a dedicated line? What wire guage should the dedicated line be to get the maximum power to the amp?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
First, I too use Shunyata gear, and am very happy with the results. No matter what I have used, it has been a positive improvement.

Caelin or Grant will give you the definitive answer, but, if you don't mind, I would like to ask a question, or two. :)

You said

However, I have found in the past that amps that drive current hungry speakers really like their own dedicated lines and work better without power conditioners.

Have you tried using the latest Shunyata power conditioners for the amps? I have two Pass Labs X600.5 amps on a Shunyata Cyclops attached to a dedicated line via a Zitron Anaconda with no degradation at all. Before I got the second line and the Cyclops they were attached to the Triton, along with the source gear. Even there they worked fine. However, the dedicated line did open things up a bit.

The impression I get is that Shunyata is all about "cleaning up" the noise from the component's power supply to the wall. Is this correct? Is Shunyata effective by what a really powerful amplifier may throw back into the line toward the circuit breaker? What can be done to eliminate this noise

Within the last few months, Shunyata has introduced a new series of power cords, the Zitron Alpha line, that does what you ask. They filter noise from a component to prevent it from going back onto the power line. There are three models, the Alpha Digital (for digital components), the Alpha Analog (for analog source gear), and the Alpha Analog HC (for high current devices).

I have the Alpha Digital on my Bryston file player, and it made a big improvement over the Zitron Cobra. Whether the Alpha Analog and HC outperform the Zitron Python and Zitron Anaconda is still an open question.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
When I first moved, I tried one of my spare Hydra 8s on my amps. Transients were softened and dynamics restricted. After that, I went straight into the wall. I just recently added a Pair of Shunyata Cyclops. Now the sound is just cleaner and I notice no softening or constriction. I'm quite satisfied with the results after 150 hours.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Caesar,

Yes, its true that amps have extreme sensitivity to contact resistance upstream so generally speaking, less is more in front of amps. That is also true of _all electronics_, just more noticeable with amps because of their hard-draw. The foundation of all that we do is to first eliminate or minimize resistance to peak-current from the wall to the system. This includes avoiding variables such as measurably significant capacitance or inductance that may interfere with the normal operation of component power supplies (that all have their own conditioning systems).

Once that is accomplished, Caelin introduces passive, parallel filtration elements that remove noise and isolate the components in the system, primarily from one-another but also from grid-borne noise. Obviously, with increased ability to measure, research and develop his own parts and metal treatments, Caelin has improved the products significantly over the past 15 years. The Cyclops is the perfect example of that as are the Defender and Alpha Series power cords..

As with all things, especially power, an evaluation is mandatory in making a decision with your components.

We have introduced alternatives to address the noise kicked back from components without introducing _any_ contact impedance. You could try our Defender, which protects and filters the entire circuit and costs under $200. Upscale from that, the Alpha High-Current power cord that Bud alluded to would be another option that offers measurable noise filtration without side-effect or loss of DTCD (Instantaneous Current). The Cyclops is another option that should add a cumulative benefit, albeit the most expensive, so it depends on your system and budget.

We recommend THHN wire, ten gauge or better for dedicated lines and high-performance outlets such as the Hubbell 5362 spec grade or our own SR-Z1. We have a PDF with general instructions and do's/don'ts for dedicated lines. If you'd like a copy, just e-mail our cservice account link off our web.

I hope this helps!

Grant
Shunyata Research

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing