Nola Concert Grands

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I dont know why these speakers are not talked about more. I have recently had the chance to listen to them in a clients home a few times and they are simply amazing. I know there are many excellent speakers being made however most of them are similar in sound since they are using closed box designs.
Is this a west coast east coast thing? Looks? I dont get it

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Elliot-Have you heard the Nola KO speakers? If so, what do you think of them?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Elliot-Have you heard the Nola KO speakers? If so, what do you think of them?
I have heard them a few times and the second time I listen to them it was in a pretty good room. I think that they are really an excellent value and I would own them without hesitation. I got to listen to them with an ARC REF 75 and an analog front end. I have spent more time listening to baby and micro grands but these really have the flavor of the more expensive speakers without the price. I like the fact that Nola's are pretty straight forward in set up an produce a really large sound field. I guess that is what I prefer rather than other types of speakers. IMHO this is what the sound of live music sounds like to me.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Elliot. I heard them also with the REF 75, but it was with a digital front end. Still loved the way they sounded though.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think we have talked about them some here. I know I've posted a couple of times (once in the Magico vs. Wilson thread) that in their respective price ranges I would take the Baby Grands and the Concert Grands over any others, although my listening experience is limited. Likewise the KO's are an excellent value.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I think we have talked about them some here. I know I've posted a couple of times (once in the Magico vs. Wilson thread) that in their respective price ranges I would take the Baby Grands and the Concert Grands over any others, although my listening experience is limited. Likewise the KO's are an excellent value.

I have seen some of that but the Concert Grand Golds are a very different beast. These are IMHO really something special and should be discussed with the best the Industry has to offer. The system I heard was truly special and rivaled anything I have ever heard

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I have seen some of that but the Concert Grand Golds are a very different beast. These are IMHO really something special and should be discussed with the best the Industry has to offer. The system I heard was truly special and rivaled anything I have ever heard

I agree. So does Harry Pearson, apparently.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Most of their marketing effort is linked to The Absolute Sound and Odin cables ... I have watched several times the effects of these cables in a few systems, so I take the opinions with two grains of salt. ;) Nola's are not easily available in Europe, otherwise I would surely listen to them - I have read they seem to be a fantastic match with one of my preferred brands, Audio Research.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

Well I own a pair and have been reluctant to do battle over "the best". Not because I own them but because I believe it, these are the most unique speakers I have ever owned or heard. I have owned Wilson, Magico and Avalon. They are magnificent.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Most of their marketing effort is linked to The Absolute Sound and Odin cables ... I have watched several times the effects of these cables in a few systems, so I take the opinions with two grains of salt. ;) Nola's are not easily available in Europe, otherwise I would surely listen to them - I have read they seem to be a fantastic match with one of my preferred brands, Audio Research.

AFAIK, HP's departure from The Absolute Sound was somewhat acrimonious. I don't know if TAS has reviewed any of NOLA's better speakers (I think the Metro Grand Reference at ~$30k is the highest one) but none of them are on their recommended speakers list.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
FWIW they (Nola in general) deserve a listen when looking at any speaker. I am obviously a big fan but understand it is ultimately ones choice. What is so amazing about the CGRs are how accurate and seamless they are and incredibly powerful and three dimensional even at low SPL.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
AFAIK, HP's departure from The Absolute Sound was somewhat acrimonious. I don't know if TAS has reviewed any of NOLA's better speakers (I think the Metro Grand Reference at ~$30k is the highest one) but none of them are on their recommended speakers list.

Sure sounded like it in HP's editorial (after leaving TAS).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sure sounded like it in HP's editorial (after leaving TAS).

In any case, losing your baby and then leaving it behind is hard. No matter what the circumstances.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I remember HP hosting the former NOLA top dog years ago (4 towers) and HP driving them with ASL Hurricanes some years back. Does TAS have anybody on their writing staff that can actually accommodate really big speakers (or want to for that matter) at home?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I remember HP hosting the former NOLA top dog years ago (4 towers) and HP driving them with ASL Hurricanes some years back. Does TAS have anybody on their writing staff that can actually accommodate really big speakers (or want to for that matter) at home?

Certainly Jacob Heilbrun could. He's using XLF and Thors IIRC and has a big custom built room. Not sure of the others.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
My post was made in response to micro's assertion that NOLA's marketing efforts are focused on TAS and Nordost; although certainly NOLA likes Nordost, they also obviously like Audio Research, and I don't think The Absolute Sound has anything to do with NOLA, nor have they reviewed or recommended their flagship products. HP himself has and does, though.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Certainly Jacob Heilbrun could. He's using XLF and Thors IIRC and has a big custom built room. Not sure of the others.

Harley's room is not small either, from the pictures with the Q7s. And Harley had the big Focals and Wilsons in there before the Q7s too.

And TAS has reviewed plenty of NOLA product, at least once every year, for the past couple of years.

alexandre

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I think its actually good for a change for a manufacturer to take a stance on product to use with their products that will provide an excellent result.
I am sure that other products can give a good result as well but for many this is a great thing to have as a starting point.
I think that perhaps all of you place too much at the feet of reviewers. I dont want o bash anyone but their may be other factors involved in what gets reviewed by who m and when. This whole process has gotten way out of hand and out of control and it seems that all the press wants is whats new, not whats great.
The Industry as a whole suffers when there are very few opportunites for music lovers to actually hear what a great product is capable of. This is very hard to solve since shows and most showrooms are not the answer for a state of the art product that deserves to be in a room of its own under close to ideal situations.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

High End Audio tends to ignore systematically some brands while some are reverred to an astonishing fashion and this regardless of worth or performance of the products lineup or individual products.

Nola is just part of a group of US Brands rarely mentioned even though their products are consistently good to superlative. From the top of my head:

Nola, Scania ( Superlative BTW)

To lesser extent Von Schweikert, Genesis (that is mentioned a little bit more at least here in this forum) ...

Nola, Scania, Genesis, Von Schweikert top-of-the-line products could be well be at the very summit of the world best speakers ..yet they are not that well known... Politics?

There could be other but those came to my mind first.

Reactions: Alrainbow

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi

High End Audio tends to ignore systematically some brands while some are reverred to an astonishing fashion and this regardless of worth or performance of the products lineup or individual products. (...) .

Good point Frantz,

However, more than who is who, the interesting debate will be the why's.

IMHO, this happens because at some moment audiophiles feel they can trust a brand. And in this aspect a proper distribution and dealership is needed. Marketing is a crucial part of it - people like to know who is building their products, what was the success of their previous products and who will take care of them when something goes wrong. Although we have exceptions, products that are revered to an astonishing fashion usually have flighted for it and deserve it. Yes, I know I am an optimist concerning high-end ... ;)

Designing and manufacturing a great product is not enough. You have to show it to people, persuade others of its quality, as people say, go in the fields. Or find some one who goes in the fields for you ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing