Best Live Rock LP Of All Time

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The problem with Live At Leeds is that there are only two songs on it I like. On the other hand, with Get Yer Ya-Yas Out, by The Rolling Stones, I love every song.

We all have different musical tastes of course. I pretty much like every song on Live at Leeds. As for the Stones, I have yet to hear or own any of their LPs that sound worth a damn. I don't own any of the British copies though and if they are the ones to get, someone please enlighten me on which ones sound really good.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
We all have different musical tastes of course. I pretty much like every song on Live at Leeds. As for the Stones, I have yet to hear or own any of their LPs that sound worth a damn. I don't own any of the British copies though and if they are the ones to get, someone please enlighten me on which ones sound really good.

these are two live stones albums with excellent SQ, both available on vinyl.

Attachments

• stripped.jpg
    stripped.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 106
  • muddy stones.jpg
    muddy stones.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 108

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
these are two live stones albums with excellent SQ, both available on vinyl.
A Brussels Affair is also available on LP (although you might have buy a deluxe box, I can't remember) and has very nice sound.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
great live rock albums are plentiful, but titles with great music AND sound are fewer and further between. one of the best imho, is Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus but strickly speaking they're a "jam band" not rockers. as mentioned before the dead have some great sounding live albums (also a jam band). Deep Purples live on the BBC has memorable sonics, threadbare over the ML CLS's but meatier and richer sounding on the Harbeths. still availabe on AF vinyl and mastered by none other than Steve Hoffman.

Attachments

• deep purple bbc.jpg
    deep purple bbc.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 107

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I agree; Stripped is very good musically and sonically (I have the 2LP). Personally, I don't really like live albums. Live Dead? Surgery on my frontal lobe, first, please. Not even then. I do like Fillmore East, FWIW, and actually listen to it once in a while.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I did re-listen to Waiting For Columbus last night and this morning, confirming my impression posted earlier and agreeing with the other Rob's recommendation as well.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I agree; Stripped is very good musically and sonically (I have the 2LP). Personally, I don't really like live albums. Live Dead? Surgery on my frontal lobe, first, please. Not even then. I do like Fillmore East, FWIW, and actually listen to it once in a while.
Interesting how we all come at this from different directions ;) as I posted yesterday, a very large percentage (although probably less than half) of my listening is to live music recordings... Listening to a Mark O'Connor Hot Swing Trio live album right now.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I agree; Stripped is very good musically and sonically (I have the 2LP). Personally, I don't really like live albums. Live Dead? Surgery on my frontal lobe, first, please., Not even then. I do like Fillmore East, FWIW, and actually listen to it once in a while.

and I thought you were the pot smoker among us :D speaking of lobotomies my work colleague is going to the Bahamas to hear widespread panic four nights in a row:eek:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

Sorry for the thread drift, but since mep asked and it is his thread...

For every early Stone's LP up to Between The Buttons, the Decca unboxed mono (red label) is the way to go. There are a bunch of variations which will tell you which pressing, so it pays to do your research.

"Out of Our Heads" -- I keep going back and forth between the original Decca unboxed mono and the UK export unboxed mono (i.e. the Clearasil cover). If you want 'Satisfaction' (pun intended); go for the export version. The original UK version sequencing is more coherent...

I won't comment on "Satanic Majesties Request"; it's a love it or hate it lp.

"Beggar's Banquet" and "Let It Bleed" sound best with the Decca unboxed stereo (blue label). "Let It Bleed" is actually a really well recorded LP.

"Sticky Fingers" - Prefer the original UK pressing (COC 59100) over the US release

"Exile on Main Street" - I prefer the original US pressing COC-2900

"Black and Blue" - It's a toss up between the original US and UK releases. One of their better sounding recordings and underrated LP IMO.

"Some Girls" -- I slightly prefer the original UK (especially the mix of 'Miss You') but the original US release is a little punchier. Well recorded except 'Before They Make Me Run'..which is, of course, my favorite song on the LP!

"Emotional Rescue" -- Original US release is the one to get. Probably their best sounding record and underrated. "Down in the Hole" is one of their best recorded pieces.

"Tattoo You" -- Fremer seems to like the Japanese pressing (Toshiba ESS 81455) but it sounds dry to me. I prefer the US release COC 16052 -- more ballsy.

Keith Richards "Talk Is Cheap" -- Great sounding LP. So damn good, it made Mick give up his ill-fated solo career.

That should get you started.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
and I thought you were the pot smoker among us :D

At least the one willing to admit it ;)

speaking of lobotomies my work colleague is going to the Bahamas to hear widespread panic four nights in a row:eek:

LOL!!

Truth be told, I (unintentionally) listen to the Grateful Dead Hour every week. Three years now.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
The 4CD Box Set from the 25th Anniversary Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Concerts is well recorded and includes a All Star Cast.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The 4CD Box Set from the 25th Anniversary Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Concerts is well recorded and includes a All Star Cast.

This is actually also out in Blu Ray as wee, in stellar surround sound. The Simon and Garfunkel reunion is phenomenal, but many more gems.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
This is actually also out in Blu Ray as wee, in stellar surround sound. The Simon and Garfunkel reunion is phenomenal, but many more gems.

Haven't heard the Blu-Ray yet but after watching the HBO special I kept a recording on my DVR for quite some time.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Also 24/48 HDtracks download (the Bluray sound is also 24/48)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Also 24/48 HDtracks download (the Bluray sound is also 24/48)

I didn't see that before I ordered the CD's. That does have all 50+ tracks.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
There are more tracks on the Bluray, it's a better deal.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
There are more tracks on the Bluray, it's a better deal.

Are all 90 tracks from the two night set-list on the Blu-Ray? When I compare the CD to the set-list there are a lot missing, such as all of the Aretha Franklin plus a track or two from all of the other artists.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I count 61 actual music tracks (songs or medleys, not the announcements or collages) on the Blurays.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I don't get your point. I don't think I used the words "sounds better." I said it was "something special" and that it should "sound incredible" on your system. I also said I believe that Live at Leeds is the best live rock LP of all time. Those are my opinions. Are you saying you don't think Live at Leeds sounds great or are you arguing without a clear point for the sake of arguing?

In your two paragraph post, exactly one sentence talks about the performance. I think the "sound" was your point.

Tim

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Mark, if it makes any difference at all, I think that Live at Leeds is a fantastic record. I think I'll play it next.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing