Best Live Rock LP Of All Time

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My vote goes to the Who, Live at Leeds on LP. As everyone knows, recording a concert live is very difficult and recording a very high-energy rock band live is even more difficult. They got it right with Live at Leeds. The vocals are miked great as well as the drums, the bass, and Pete Townsend's guitar through his wall of amps. And yes, you can hear the hum coming from Pete's amps as the songs fade out. Incredible songs, incredible musicianship, and incredible energy. Mix those ingredients with a great recording and you truly have something special.

If Live at Leeds on LP doesn't sound incredible at your house on your system, it's time to start checking the diapers of your gear because one of them has a load in their pants. If there is a live rock LP that sounds better than Live at Leeds, I want to know what it is. To think that this is a 1970 recording is very interesting. Of course we have great jazz live albums that were recorded in the 1950s, but I always thought it was easier to record a small jazz acoustic trio or quartet than to record rock and roll at realistic levels live.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
"sounds better" is pretty subjective...and I think especially for a live album the musical content is very likely to color one's perception of the sound.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
"sounds better" is pretty subjective...and I think especially for a live album the musical content is very likely to color one's perception of the sound.

I don't get your point. I don't think I used the words "sounds better." I said it was "something special" and that it should "sound incredible" on your system. I also said I believe that Live at Leeds is the best live rock LP of all time. Those are my opinions. Are you saying you don't think Live at Leeds sounds great or are you arguing without a clear point for the sake of arguing?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Re-read your post, you specifically asked if there is a live LP that "sounds better" than Live At Leeds. Somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of all my listening is to live stuff, both official and unofficial, soundboard, audience and/or multi-tracked. Live at Leeds is a great sounding live album, but I'm not sure it stands out in my mind as the "best" sounding. I like the sound of any number of Grateful Dead live albums at least as well; you can start with One From The Vault (recently released on LP for the first time) or Dead Set. Little Feat's Waiting For Columbus is another good one. Peter Gabriel's music barely qualifies as "rock" compared to The Who in 1969, but his new hires downloads from his Fall 2013 European tour have excellent sound. That's just scratching the surface; see what I mean? We do have another topic thread somewhere about good (or great) live albums...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Re-read your post, you specifically asked if there is a live LP that "sounds better" than Live At Leeds. Somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of all my listening is to live stuff, both official and unofficial, soundboard, audience and/or multi-tracked. Live at Leeds is a great sounding live album, but I'm not sure it stands out in my mind as the "best" sounding. I like the sound of any number of Grateful Dead live albums at least as well; you can start with One From The Vault (recently released on LP for the first time) or Dead Set. Little Feat's Waiting For Columbus is another good one. Peter Gabriel's music barely qualifies as "rock" compared to The Who in 1969, but his new hires downloads from his Fall 2013 European tour have excellent sound. That's just scratching the surface; see what I mean? We do have another topic thread somewhere about good (or great) live albums...

Ok. I stand corrected. You are right and now I understand your point. So list some hard rock LPs that sound better than Live at Leeds in your opinion. Or are you saying that the Dead albums you mentioned sound better and Waiting for Columbus sounds better than Live at Leeds?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
For sure I think the 2 GD albums "sound better", at least IMO. I'd have to revisit Waiting For Columbus, I have this memory that it has a very lifelike sound, but it's been quite a while since I listened to it.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Cool. I need to buy some Grateful Dead LPs. I wouldn't classify them as hard rock though.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Nor is Little Feat. Maybe QMS Happy Trails or JA Bless Its Pointed Little Head, Allman Bros Live at Fillmore East or Atlanta Pop, or Stones Get Your YaYa's Out or A Brussels Affair?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Warren Zevon "Stand In The Fire"...would make the list only for 'Werewolves' with different lyrics
Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense"
Los Lobos "Disconnected in New York City"
Allmans 'Live at Filmore East'...pay up for a Capricorn original.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Warren Zevon "Stand In The Fire"...would make the list only for 'Werewolves' with different lyrics
Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense"
Los Lobos "Disconnected in New York City"
Allmans 'Live at Filmore East'...pay up for a Capricorn original.

Thanks for giving me more LPs to go after. I appreciate it.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
The Band -Rock of Ages
CSNY -Four Way Street

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The Band -Rock of Ages
CSNY -Four Way Street

The music on both of these is great, but it would be pretty hard to make a case for the sound quality being anything more than OK for either of these IMO.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Three Dog Night Live
41SJN9l7vZL.jpg
Renaissance Live at Carnegie Hall
61Jzw6S4uOL.jpg
Deep Purple Made in Japan
41ZY9JHK2BL.jpg

I haven't heard the Three Dog Night and the Deep Purple in quite a while, but the Renaissance is very good. I'll admit there is some aspects of "great performance" that may have influenced my thoughts on the other two.

Lee

dingus

Mar 22, 2013
Graham, WA
Scream In Blue - by Midnight Oil is pretty good... it might be hard to come by on LP though.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
My vote would be for Deep Purple's Made In Japan, the DCC vinyl sounds damn good.

mep what is your preferred LP for Live at Leeds? I have the Classic Records LP and some CD remaster that has more tracks.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A lot of the albums mentioned aren't really hard rock, although they are all wonderful live recordings. I've never been a fan of true "hard rock" and The Who have always left me somewhat cold. Same with Neil Young and Crazy Horse. As such I'll have to take Mark's word for Live At Leeds being something special.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Great rock live albums I have known:

Grobschnitt - Solar Music Live
Eloy - Live
Emeson Lake & Palmer - Pictures At An Exhibition
King Crimson - The Great Deceiver
Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won
Renaissance - Live At Carnegie Hall
Genesis - Seconds Out

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Of course, The Great Deceiver is "obsolete" now that new hires complete shows are available in The Road To Red ;). And unfortunately How The West Was Won is one of the most compressed and peak-limited albums out there; even the DVD-A is not so great.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I guess we can disagree about How The West Was Won. On my system its incredibly dynamic. I played it for a couple of friends and they were high-fiving each other during Dazed And Confused.

I didn't hear a significant difference between Redbook and 24/48.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
The problem with Live At Leeds is that there are only two songs on it I like. On the other hand, with Get Yer Ya-Yas Out, by The Rolling Stones, I love every song.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing