Line magnetic...anyone heard this amp

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Yes Dave they are the M2.2 mono blocks 220watts 8 ohms - 440watts 4 ohms - 600 watts 1 ohm - so yes plenty of juice.:)

Andre, that's the kind of amp that works well with a less than efficient speaker like the SF G's. On the other forum, we have various people suggesting flea powered single ended amps to match with the SF G's. Bad advice IMHO, particularly since these guys don't use the speaker in question.
Btw,I would think your friend's system must sound pretty darn good.
Oh, before I forget, when I used to own Acoustats ( 3Mc's) , way back in the day, the 'C' mod for the transformers was a pretty good upgrade, along with removing the grlll cloths ( assuming no little hands to get into the stators). Lastly, I remember vacuuming the panels also seemed to bring about some SQ increase. ( remember the darn things attract dust like a magnet and vacuuming the panel seemed to help remove some of that...just don't use too high powered a vacuum---otherwise you can suck up budgie, LOL). One of the other Acoustat owners ran a support bar from the top of his speaker to the ceiling to stabilize the panel, seemed to also work a little magic.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Andre, that's the kind of amp that works well with a less than efficient speaker like the SF G's. On the other forum, we have various people suggesting flea powered single ended amps to match with the SF G's. Bad advice IMHO, particularly since these guys don't use the speaker in question.
Btw,I would think your friend's system must sound pretty darn good.
Oh, before I forget, when I used to own Acoustats ( 3Mc's) , way back in the day, the 'C' mod for the transformers was a pretty good upgrade, along with removing the grlll cloths ( assuming no little hands to get into the stators). Lastly, I remember vacuuming the panels also seemed to bring about some SQ increase. ( remember the darn things attract dust like a magnet and vacuuming the panel seemed to help remove some of that...just don't use too high powered a vacuum---otherwise you can suck up budgie, LOL). One of the other Acoustat owners ran a support bar from the top of his speaker to the ceiling to stabilize the panel, seemed to also work a little magic.

Hi Dave this is what is done to remove the dust from the grills :) Acoustat Panels Bathing.jpg as for the C mod my friend Jocelyn as passed this a very long time ago and with the frames being 2x3 inch steel no need for support bars again that was done many many years ago my 1+1s weigh 200 pounds and his DIY Spectra 8800s weigh 800 pounds no swing what so ever in these panels.:)

Acoustat Spectra 8800 10.JPG MrAcoustat & Speaker.JPG

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Andre, how often are you giving the panels a wash?? !!!!
WOULD SEEM TO BE A MAJOR PITA TO DO THAT!
Even though the panels are heavy, the fact that they are so very tall would lead one to believe that they could move( swing) due to the leverage principal. This is why in the day, those guys would take a strap to the
ceiling that would be attached to the top...no way that the panel could rock then. Just a thought.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Andre, how often are you giving the panels a wash?? !!!!
WOULD SEEM TO BE A MAJOR PITA TO DO THAT!
Even though the panels are heavy, the fact that they are so very tall would lead one to believe that they could move( swing) due to the leverage principal. This is why in the day, those guys would take a strap to the
ceiling that would be attached to the top...no way that the panel could rock then. Just a thought.

Hi Davey they have been soaked only a few times when they where worked on #1 when doubling the contact points #2 when soldering the top and bottom heads on each panel ( have to be very patient ) believe me the frames are so heavy they don't budge one bit.

Acoustat Panel 03.jpg

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The new Line Magnetic series of amps and integrated's is getting some very good press right now. One of the amps that they manufacture has a very interesting look, IMO.... View attachment 13962

Anyone had the opportunity to listen to their amps? Seems like they are all SET based, BUT this new company is getting raves for their price to value.

I heard these amps a couple of years ago at a show in Switzerland. They were powering the Line Magnetic replica of a huge Western Electric horn system. It sounded utterly fantastic and realistic...perhaps not from imaging but tone, dynamics and transparency gave you the feeling of live. How much of that was due to these huge amps is hard to judge but they did seem to be getting in the way of the overall picture.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I just saw this for the first time when I was doing my amplifier research.

Has anybody had any recent experience with this amplifier?

Stump

Jul 15, 2012

I’ve been to the factory an believe they never got the mk1 quite right and no longer for sale.The smaller mk2 is the replacement and was lucky to hear it at this years HK Show.I love the look and sounded great with the Horns .I believe the price is more re like $50,000US.

https://youtu.be/cOXvSWqMdl8

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Ron,
There is a dealer in LA, Pitch Perfect Audio. He carries Shindo, Devor and Line Magnetic. Keith has had favorable dealings with him.

http://www.pitchperfectaudio.com/

Yes, I've auditioned several of their amps on my Devore Xs - not the crazy old WE looking stuff though.

In general, I find them a more vintage-type sound. I preferred Shindo in the store, but at a much higher price.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

I've heard different versions of the Line Magnetic Amps--all seem bit bland and ho hum frankly--sorry not on my watch

I'd look elsewhere:(

BruceD

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Jeffrey, Keith, Bruce!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing