Tools you must have: an almost perfect stud finder!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is amazing how long we have lived with lousy, hard to use and very unreliable "stud finder" to find the structure members behind drywall/plaster to screw something into. Often I just use my knuckle and tap on the surface as that is more reliable than these junk finders.

Enter the Franklin Sensors ProSensor 710 Precision Stud Finder.

As the picture shows, this unit has a row of sensors instead of one. So it is able to instantly show one or more studs including their width! You don't need to calibrate it by sliding it from a place that has no stud.

I read about this when it came out but did not buy one until last week. As soon as I tried it, it put a smile on my face :). Price is US $50.

Highly recommended.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Thanks for posting this, Amir! I saw someone use this one a home improvement show a few weeks ago but they didn't mention who made it and there was nothing in the credits about it. I am definitely going to check it out.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I just ordered it. I'll report back in a few days!

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Was just about to drill some holes in my garage ceiling to secure a pull up bar. Was dreading having to rely on my $15 stud finder and all its uncertainty. This looks great, the multiple LEDs showing both width of and between studs is a great idea.

Nice to see common items like to rethought and (hopefully) improved.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You can still do pull ups? I'm jealous :D

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Amir. Normally I would rush out and get a tool like this but this time, I will not. I have already thrown out an estimated 4-5 bills on this exact type of tool and the unreliable one I hesitantly use has the multi-LED technology that should (in theory) let you mark both outside dimensions of the stud. At times, it works great finding and being able to mark the stud. Other times, it would have been easier to simply remove the sheet rock, mark where the studs are and patch back up. I have rarely been so frustrated with a tool(s) that at times, never seems to work. In fact, the old school $2.00 magnetic stud finder is more reliable than any of these type of tools I have used to date.

The most reliable out of all of the unreliable that I have found is http://www.amazon.com/Zircon-MultiScanner-Pro-SL-Multifunction/dp/B000XH56PO/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_2 but it's the same ol', same ol'. Half the time, it works great and the other half of the time you just want to skip it across a lake because it is a complete waste of time. Keep in mind, I have always used these tools on a very frequent basis in remodel, addition or restoration projects so I'm sure you can imagine the environment surrounding there use. In other words, I don't use them to hang a picture in the middle of a wall. I put them through the test, about every one you could possibly imagine.

Forgive my skepticism. I will cautiously read more about this tool and look forward to any observations the forum members who purchased this unit have to offer but I have to be honest. With these things, I will hope for the best and expect the worst. History with these types of tools and myself has unfortunately not been a good one.

Tom

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hello, Amir. Normally I would rush out and get a tool like this but this time, I will not. I have already thrown out an estimated 4-5 bills on this exact type of tool and the unreliable one I hesitantly use has the multi-LED technology that should (in theory) let you mark both outside dimensions of the stud. At times, it works great finding and being able to mark the stud. Other times, it would have been easier to simply remove the sheet rock, mark where the studs are and patch back up. I have rarely been so frustrated with a tool(s) that at times, never seems to work. In fact, the old school $2.00 magnetic stud finder is more reliable than any of these type of tools I have used to date.

The most reliable out of all of the unreliable that I have found is http://www.amazon.com/Zircon-MultiScanner-Pro-SL-Multifunction/dp/B000XH56PO/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_2 but it's the same ol', same ol'. Half the time, it works great and the other half of the time you just want to skip it across a lake because it is a complete waste of time. Keep in mind, I have always used these tools on a very frequent basis in remodel, addition or restoration projects so I'm sure you can imagine the environment surrounding there use. In other words, I don't use them to hang a picture in the middle of a wall. I put them through the test, about every one you could possibly imagine.

Forgive my skepticism. I will cautiously read more about this tool and look forward to any observations the forum members who purchased this unit have to offer but I have to be honest. With these things, I will hope for the best and expect the worst. History with these types of tools and myself has unfortunately not been a good one.

Tom
I said it was almost perfect Tom :). That said, my interest initially came from reading this thread: http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?29826,3. That forum is dedicated to Custom AV folks so the application is real and tools must work. My team bought a few and they are all happy with them as far as I know. So while it won't work in every instance, I am surprised how much better it is than all the rest.

Here are the reviews on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Sensors-ProSensor-710-Precision/dp/B0064EICKG?tag=5336121792-20. 4.5 stars and 782 reviews!

By the way, the other one that gets good reviews is the one with magnets in it that find the drywall screws.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Don't get me wrong, I am entertaining the thought and I thank you for the recommendation.

I don't know what it has on the back of the unit but you may find this to be a useful tip. On all of mine, I installed the female part only of Heavy Duty Velcro tape to the back. This accomplishes two things. One, it provides a smooth sliding feature when sliding it across the walls which I have found to improve accuracy and two, it provides a non-marring surface for the finder to slide across the wall with. That makes it perfect for freshly painted walls, specialty applications and surfaces you can not damage in any way. Just note that it will not work too well with sand texture.

Tom

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Or -rip off the thin brown cardboard on the back of a legal pad & hold that against the wall when sliding the detector.

zz.

Nyima

Oct 25, 2016
Does this stud finder have any audio feedback? For example, does it beep or make any other noise when you're over a stud?

I'm asking because that sort of audio feedback would allow this to be used by blind and low vision individuals.

Thanks!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Does this stud finder have any audio feedback? For example, does it beep or make any other noise when you're over a stud?

I'm asking because that sort of audio feedback would allow this to be used by blind and low vision individuals.

Thanks!

SERIOUSLY, to be used by the blind????

People with severe vision impairment can do many things, but construction projects are best left to people who can see what they are doing. The blind??? They should definitely leave any type of construction project to someone else.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It does not make sound. It is however indeed the best stud finder ever.

Gary have you never heard of the classes Construction and Power-Tools, Skills for the Seeing Impaired? They're part of a government program.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..I wonder what happens when Tom Selleck uses one of these things. Seems like it would go off in his hand.. :p

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
It does not make sound. It is however indeed the best stud finder ever.

Gary have you never heard of the classes Construction and Power-Tools, Skills for the Seeing Impaired? They're part of a government program.

For the sight impaired, fine, but sight impaired has limits.

The BLIND doing construction of any type. . . I don't think so. How could you trust its quality?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Wow... I can't believe I just got you! hahahaha

How many seeing impaired people (including legally blind) really want to use nail guns, tablesaws, and such?

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
Or -rip off the thin brown cardboard on the back of a legal pad & hold that against the wall when sliding the detector. ...

The velcro generally works well (my cheap Stanley auto-calibrating one came with the velcro installed), but it collects grit over time. The cardboard is cheap insurance.
I guess I'm lucky, I've not had a problem finding studs with it. My house's walls aren't the easiest to scan, they're sheetrock over 12mm match lining (1/2" x 8" boards). I don't know how it would perform on lath-and-plaster though.

My dad's stud finder was a hammer...

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
My dad's stud finder was a hammer...
And a trustworthy pair of ears

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Wow... I can't believe I just got you! hahahaha

How many seeing impaired people (including legally blind) really want to use nail guns, tablesaws, and such?

Well, I was being polite because I didn't want to make it seem like I thought the poster before me was an idiot with his or her first post. Besides, the government has numerous stupid programs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing