Tools you must have: an almost perfect stud finder!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
It is clearly the best of the three stud finders that I have.

It did throw me for a loop a couple of times when all the LED's lit up, but when I tapped in 3 penny finishing nails to see why all the lights lit up, I discovered places where there were four studs side by side in a few main support areas.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I've checked few videos around and read few reviews too, of it and other models too.
I would get it myself, and because you said it's the best of the three you have.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I have many and this one womps them all, love it.
I still tap and listen also, put a 8 foot level across the wall and look for high spots, lots of other ways to get close.
If I am hanging something heavy like a TV, after I find the stud I use a super small drill bit and find the edges of the stud so I know I drill center stud.
With this stud finder I drill far fewer holes and have gotten to the point where my trust level is increasing vastly.

Nyima

Oct 25, 2016
SERIOUSLY, to be used by the blind????

People with severe vision impairment can do many things, but construction projects are best left to people who can see what they are doing. The blind??? They should definitely leave any type of construction project to someone else.

I have a friend who's entirely blind and is quite capable with construction - certainly more than the vast majority of people. I've been with him as he's worked with table saws and other power tools, building tables and such. People enjoy making things. And blind or low-vision folks are no different in that.

There was a readio show for many years with blind folks from Texas who did handyman sort of things. There's a Canadian TV show airing in the summer that stars a blind guy who does DIY projects.

Many people lack the imagination to let blind folks engage in the world. Parents often shelter their blind children, cutting them off from their potential. It's sad. And I know exactly where you're coming from in your lack of understanding of this. You're thoughts on this are entirely common, for sure.

Anyhow, I'm just curious about decent stud-finders with some audio feedback. If anyone knows of one, I'd be really interested.

Sandy Sandstone

Dec 26, 2016
Forgive my skepticism. I will cautiously read more about this tool and look forward to any observations the forum members who purchased this unit have to offer but I have to be honest. With these things, I will hope for the best and expect the worst. History with these types of tools and myself has unfortunately not been a good one.

Tom

I totally agree!! I gave up on battery-powered stud finders years ago. I'm sure that the Franklin really does work but I don't feel like spending $50+. I've been using the studpop for several years. No batteries. Just a magnet and a pivoting popper. Never fails!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Studs are located every 16 inches off center.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Studs are located every 16 inches off center.

Very generally speaking in very perfect world. Some are 24, more than you think. If you find one stud and start drilling holes every 16 inches you are going to be disappointed in a hurry!

Stud spacing varies depending on other construction requirements in the structure. Like holding the floor above it up or an attaching wall on the other side.

You have to check and verify every stud every time, without fail. Drywall repair is cheep compared to the alternative. I just hung a TV and the Franklin was giving me fits so I opened up the wall and found that there was a 2x6 mounted flat to the drywall of the opposing drywall, for what reason we never figured out, but it was there and the Franklin was alerting me to it, and the tapping test was useless in its detection.

If that Franklin Stud Finder gives you a weird reading that does not seem right, TRUST ME, there is a reason and you must investigate.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
As the saying goes," That's why we play the game." I am just a weekend warrior but I never saw 24". Once you measure wrong it shows up quickly.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Very generally speaking in very perfect world. Some are 24, more than you think. If you find one stud and start drilling holes every 16 inches you are going to be disappointed in a hurry!

Stud spacing varies depending on other construction requirements in the structure. Like holding the floor above it up or an attaching wall on the other side.

You have to check and verify every stud every time, without fail. Drywall repair is cheep compared to the alternative. I just hung a TV and the Franklin was giving me fits so I opened up the wall and found that there was a 2x6 mounted flat to the drywall of the opposing drywall, for what reason we never figured out, but it was there and the Franklin was alerting me to it, and the tapping test was useless in its detection.

If that Franklin Stud Finder gives you a weird reading that does not seem right, TRUST ME, there is a reason and you must investigate.

+1

Am in the cabling and installation biz and most people don't realize how off things can be... Measuring and keeping yourself to the standard number is the surest way to waste time.. A good stud finder is essential. Got the Franklin and that was it ... My techs swear by it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Yeah I started out flying by the seat of my pants. I quickly learned if things are not plum and square you'll reap the consequences quickly.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
+1

Am in the cabling and installation biz and most people don't realize how off things can be... Measuring and keeping yourself to the standard number is the surest way to waste time.. A good stud finder is essential. Got the Franklin and that was it ... My techs swear by it.

I concur, the crap I have seen and had to deal with running cables in the high rise buildings in downtown LA between floors, let alone the industrial tilt ups is pretty out there. The older the building the bigger the challenge.

And drop tile ceilings are both the biggest blessing and the biggest curse all at the same time.

Behind the scenes on those buildings is not a pretty place.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think I'd pay the extra $20 to not have a crappie level bubble on mine... well, I guess I did.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing