Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tools you must have: an almost perfect stud finder!

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-FiGuy View Post
    Very generally speaking in very perfect world. Some are 24, more than you think. If you find one stud and start drilling holes every 16 inches you are going to be disappointed in a hurry!

Stud spacing varies depending on other construction requirements in the structure. Like holding the floor above it up or an attaching wall on the other side.

You have to check and verify every stud every time, without fail. Drywall repair is cheep compared to the alternative. I just hung a TV and the Franklin was giving me fits so I opened up the wall and found that there was a 2x6 mounted flat to the drywall of the opposing drywall, for what reason we never figured out, but it was there and the Franklin was alerting me to it, and the tapping test was useless in its detection.

If that Franklin Stud Finder gives you a weird reading that does not seem right, TRUST ME, there is a reason and you must investigate.
    +1

Am in the cabling and installation biz and most people don't realize how off things can be... Measuring and keeping yourself to the standard number is the surest way to waste time.. A good stud finder is essential. Got the Franklin and that was it ... My techs swear by it.
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

Yeah I started out flying by the seat of my pants. I quickly learned if things are not plum and square you'll reap the consequences quickly.
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friendly to one, and enemy to none.
    Benjamin Franklin

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Hi-FiGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post
    +1

Am in the cabling and installation biz and most people don't realize how off things can be... Measuring and keeping yourself to the standard number is the surest way to waste time.. A good stud finder is essential. Got the Franklin and that was it ... My techs swear by it.
    I concur, the crap I have seen and had to deal with running cables in the high rise buildings in downtown LA between floors, let alone the industrial tilt ups is pretty out there. The older the building the bigger the challenge.

And drop tile ceilings are both the biggest blessing and the biggest curse all at the same time.

Behind the scenes on those buildings is not a pretty place.
    Rega P1/Rega Phono Mini USB/Denon DL-110/
    Pioneer Spec-1 Pre/Pioneer Spec-2 Amp
    Magneplaner .5 QR
    Kubala Sonsa Anticipation Cables
    Pioneer CT-1250/ Pioneer SG-9500/Pioneer TX-6700
    Xonar Essence STX/Samsung DVD-HD841 Audio Only

For those people who don't want to spend over $50 on a great stud finder, you can purchase exactly the same one at Costco for $28.99 or $29.99 online.

Here's the link:

http://www.costco.com/Precision-Sens...&storeId=10301

If you don't like it, you can always return it after 2 or 3 years.

I think I'd pay the extra $20 to not have a crappie level bubble on mine... well, I guess I did.

https://walabot.com/diy?utm_source=L...=new_lookalike

No affiliation. Just spotted it.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234