I ruined one 300B output tube last night...

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
that is the rough part of i) owning tube gear, ii) make cable changes "on the fly" and iii) have audiophiles friends at home!

Now I need to get a matched pair for my Conquest amp (did I hear four to match the other mono block??)

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Tube Matching test - not so great

I looked into buying PSE Parallel SET amps years ago & talked to heavy [knowledge] tube techies. Here is what I learned:
You can put in perfect match tubes & in a little while one of the tubes will be dominant [not sex] & put out more power.
This is NOT advice, but if it was my PSE I would just throw in the same tube and not worry about matching.
A lot of matched tubes are not that well matched.
The tests they usually do to match tubes are not the operating conditions of your PSE.
Do some research.

zz.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Flez007...I am really sorry to hear that. I feel for you...hate when stuff goes wrong, particularly just when you are in the middle of REALLY enjoying with friends, etc.

I guess it gives you the "opportunity" to go hunting for some awesome 300Bs?...an 'upgrade' to what you already had? may as well look at the bright side of things! ;) Hope it all gets back to perfect super-soon.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
that is the rough part of i) owning tube gear, ii) make cable changes "on the fly" and iii) have audiophiles friends at home!
(...)

Sorry to know about this disaster - but think that if it had happened with a solid state amplifier most probably it would have shorted several transistors, burned a few resistors and you would have to send it for an expensive repair ... I am not inventing, it happened in my presence to a friend in an audiophile session comparing cables using his big and heavy SS amplifier. He just pressed the power switch of the amplifier twice to change the RCA input the cables and the ground was floating ...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You could have easily burned some tweeters too. :(

Try the KR classic 300Bs if you get the chance flez. They are what I use so I can prolong the lives of my WE collection. IMO they are among the best non WE 300Bs.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Very unfortunate flez , always take the power off especially when changing powerampcables , I ve had my share of misfortune :D
I never heard the KR s would like to try them someday .
I only compared the Sophia electric RP and the FUll music 300 B/n .
Royal princess is the winner a tad more transparent and doesn't sound tubey at all(rolled off , slippery bass )

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well actually I did hear KR 845 tubes in the zanden 9600 , it sounded awesome, no soggy bass there and very dynamic

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I liked the Princess too. Lovely highs on those tubes.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
UPDATE

The damage is diagnosed and on it´s way for a full repair, it won´t come cheap:

One 300B Audio Note tube - GONE - ordered two Sophia's 300B tubes
One coupling paper-in-oil cap - GONE - ordered Jensen tin/se/paper in oil caps

I bought this amps used, and looks they had some previous "work" (minor) that included a pair of ICs rectifiers/filters to protect tubes from AC voltage - changing them since they were limiting the current that the output tubes need (they were glowing to low)

+ labour, import taxes, etc....

the good thing is that my tech will make them live longer and will sound a tad better once repaired (I had of course to have both amps serviced to keep them identical)

...eagerly waiting to have them back, and thanks all for your lines of support :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
..on other thing...

My tech says it is very strange to have the coupling caps in short-circuit, does anybody had the same issues and figured that out?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I looked into buying PSE Parallel SET amps years ago & talked to heavy [knowledge] tube techies. Here is what I learned:
You can put in perfect match tubes & in a little while one of the tubes will be dominant [not sex] & put out more power.
This is NOT advice, but if it was my PSE I would just throw in the same tube and not worry about matching.
A lot of matched tubes are not that well matched.
The tests they usually do to match tubes are not the operating conditions of your PSE.
Do some research.

zz.

Thanks zz, it all looks that the circuit configuration of the Conquest amps is not that sensitive to matched pairs, I am getting Sophia´s tubes since we had some doubts on the KR ones.

Audio_Note_conquest_300B_1.jpg

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Thanks zz, it all looks that the circuit configuration of the Conquest amps is not that sensitive to matched pairs, I am getting Sophia´s tubes since we had some doubts on the KR ones.

Good morning,

The carbon plate tubes do NOT work for me [Tone].

I use & love the metal perforated plate 300Bs. They call them mesh, but that is actually wrong. I have 3 different tube names & they all have the same internals; although some are globe & some are bottle shaped glass. During your tube research you may have found that the Sophia tubes come out of a factory that produces many different names - my opinion is: same tubes if they look identical [maybe Sophia has different matching].

Please clean your New tube pins with 99 - 100% alcohol [allow to air dry] before installing. Do not accidentally flood the base.

I hope you are able to buy locally so that if you have a tube problem, you can easily return them. I personally would have a concern if one tube ran extremely bright & the other was dim. If there was a little difference in brightness it would not concern me [personal opinion - please do your own research].

Best to you,
zz.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Update (2)

i managed to get one pair of new JJ 300B to try, I cancelled the Sophia's order after additional investigations - both amps are fully repaired now and are playing right now (one with the new JJs and the other with the old AN branded tubes - don't kill me!, this will not be the final setup).

i am liking the JJs! - anyone that have tried them and willing to comment?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Good morning,

The carbon plate tubes do NOT work for me [Tone].

I use & love the metal perforated plate 300Bs. They call them mesh, but that is actually wrong. I have 3 different tube names & they all have the same internals; although some are globe & some are bottle shaped glass. During your tube research you may have found that the Sophia tubes come out of a factory that produces many different names - my opinion is: same tubes if they look identical [maybe Sophia has different matching].

Please clean your New tube pins with 99 - 100% alcohol [allow to air dry] before installing. Do not accidentally flood the base.

I hope you are able to buy locally so that if you have a tube problem, you can easily return them. I personally would have a concern if one tube ran extremely bright & the other was dim. If there was a little difference in brightness it would not concern me [personal opinion - please do your own research].

Best to you,
zz.

Heed ZZ's advice. Failure to do so will result in fireworks and I don't mean the "Ooh and Ah" type either.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Update (2)

i managed to get one pair of new JJ 300B to try, I cancelled the Sophia's order after additional investigations - both amps are fully repaired now and are playing right now (one with the new JJs and the other with the old AN branded tubes - don't kill me!, this will not be the final setup).

i am liking the JJs! - anyone that have tried them and willing to comment?

Hi flez007,
I am glad you are listening to different tubes & enjoying them. I have not tried the JJs.

Please send me a Private Message [that way I will for sure see your response] if you ever try mesh plate tubes [perforated metal].

Best to you,
zz.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Update (3) and final

well, it looks like the saga is over, the amps are up and running and just waiting for my decision for a 300B replacement, currently one has new JJ tubes and the other with old but good measuring Audio Note branded ones.

for those interested, I paid around 900 dlls for the full repair including the two new tubes and coupling caps (thin cap, paper in oil).

Thanks all for your advice and supporting lines.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Update (3) and final

well, it looks like the saga is over, the amps are up and running and just waiting for my decision for a 300B replacement, currently one has new JJ tubes and the other with old but good measuring Audio Note branded ones.

for those interested, I paid around 900 dlls for the full repair including the two new tubes and coupling caps (thin cap, paper in oil).

Thanks all for your advice and supporting lines.

ahhhh...always great to be back, eh? congrats and enjoy...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Flez,

Just curious. What were your doubts about the KRs? They are some of the most, if not the most, robustly built new production tubes. Hand blown glass and hand assembled innards as well as a very good evacuation oven. They are also now supplying tubes to very picky companies like Allnic.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hi Flez,

Just curious. What were your doubts about the KRs? They are some of the most, if not the most, robustly built new production tubes. Hand blown glass and hand assembled innards as well as a very good evacuation oven. They are also now supplying tubes to very picky companies like Allnic.

Short life and reliability ... Still confirming with Eunice.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I like the JJ 300b. They don't quite have the flicker flam lambency of Svetlanas or the old WE, but they are lucid and have good frequency extension.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing